• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Why don't more women play disc golf?

I've killed people for less Giles! :p

You are exempt because your girl is as cool as one of the boys. and your right, i do play disc golf because its a place/reason to drink :cool: lol!

...and did you know that she stopped drinking because of disc golf? :confused: I thought I tought her well.

I'm going to get my brag on. With the update she is the #2 am woman in TX & #20 over all.

My girlfriend has been playing almost as long as I have (2 months). I had to basically harass her a few years ago until she started playing ultimate with me, and now she's one of the top cutters on our summer league team and easily was one of the top women on our college mixed team. She's taking to disc golf well, too. She hated it at first because she played a heavily wooded course with us early on, and she was throwing a Roc which was fading pretty hard because she "felt stupid" trying to throw correctly.

She's really, really competitive though, and she's stuck with it. I keep giving her the understable discs that I don't throw with, and she's graduated from throwing a leopard as her main driver to throwing a roadrunner with some pretty impressive distance.

I convinced her to play in the tournament that hebby and I played in this past weekend, and she wrestled with whether or not she would play for over a week. She decided to play, ended up finishing 2nd in women's, even though there were only 3 of them. She was on top after the first round though, and she was beating 2 other long-time women players. She was out-driving them on just about every drive, but she falls out in her approaching and, most of all, her putting. She had a blast, though, and exchanged numbers with the gal who finished first so they can play together.

She won some plastic, too, so now she's got discs of her own and doesn't have to use my hand-me-downs (she refuses to buy discs at this point). She likes playing almost (probably not) as much as I do now, so it was a hugggggeee help getting her involved in that tournament so she could play with some women and have a good time.

Guys, the moral of the story - if you don't want your wife getting pissed that you're spending too much time at the disc golf course, buy that woman a disc.

I definitely tried that approach but the presence of bugs and other "icky" stuff keeps her from really enjoying herself.

We have been going outside and working on approach and putt shots at home because my wife's score is abysmal for that reason alone. She drives well enough to impress most women and some men but after that just falls to pieces. IMO she lays up when she should go for it and goes for it when she should lay up...but I got my ass chewed off for offering a suggestion one fine day so I keep my fat yap shut now...it would be rad if she could find someone to play with that she could take suggestions from.

I definitely tried that approach but the presence of bugs and other "icky" stuff keeps her from really enjoying herself.

My wife's doesn't like the bugs, snakes, or other creatures you find in disc golf, but she's ultra-competitive.

We play in groups where the wives play seperate from the husbands. Works pretty well for us.

Yep, TX Women's Championship is the event I enjoy most and took forward to more than any other.

ok, maybee a close third to TX Teams and Am World Doubles.

This years TWC had the:

1. Crappiest players pack I've ever seen in my life. It was basically a bag full of 50% off coupons to local area restaraunts, a mini if you were lucky, and miscelaneous other crap that was donated by local area businesses like cheapo water bottles and first aid kits, and some stickers.

2. Worst am payout setup I've ever seen. My wife was first in Rec and got like $120.00 worth of discs but they picked her discs. They were all light weight...I guess because they assumed that girls can only throw light discs. They were also all understable...I guess because they assumed that girls can only throw understable discs. She got four valkyries, a leapard, a sidewinder, a roadrunner, and a monarch.

3. Worst trophy...it was an 8 x 10 picture in a dollar store frame that says "Texas Womens Championship" on the bottom. No year, No division, No first place.

4. My 9 year old daughter trained and practiced for months and not only took first in her age group but beat all the teenagers as well. They did not even recognize her at the awards ceremony but just handed all the juniors a bag of leftover crap from the players packs...no disc, no trophy, no good job, not even a pat on the back. My wife saw the TD a few weeks later at a course and told him how upset she was about it and he said the kids should have all got at least one disc, so he mailed her a pro valkyrie.

5. There were way too many men involved and controlling every aspect of the tournament and it seemed like alot of them were there just to check out the hot disc golfing women. At one point the TD told the women "Everyone find a man and tell him thank you for making this tournament possible".

Maybe these are some valid reasons why more women don't play disc golf.

This years TWC had the:

1. Crappiest players pack I've ever seen in my life. It was basically a bag full of 50% off coupons to local area restaraunts, a mini if you were lucky, and miscelaneous other crap that was donated by local area businesses like cheapo water bottles and first aid kits, and some stickers.

2. Worst am payout setup I've ever seen. My wife was first in Rec and got like $120.00 worth of discs but they picked her discs. They were all light weight...I guess because they assumed that girls can only throw light discs. They were also all understable...I guess because they assumed that girls can only throw understable discs. She got four valkyries, a leapard, a sidewinder, a roadrunner, and a monarch.

3. Worst trophy...it was an 8 x 10 picture in a dollar store frame that says "Texas Womens Championship" on the bottom. No year, No division, No first place.

4. My 9 year old daughter trained and practiced for months and not only took first in her age group but beat all the teenagers as well. They did not even recognize her at the awards ceremony but just handed all the juniors a bag of leftover crap from the players packs...no disc, no trophy, no good job, not even a pat on the back. My wife saw the TD a few weeks later at a course and told him how upset she was about it and he said the kids should have all got at least one disc, so he mailed her a pro valkyrie.

5. There were way too many men involved and controlling every aspect of the tournament and it seemed like alot of them were there just to check out the hot disc golfing women. At one point the TD told the women "Everyone find a man and tell him thank you for making this tournament possible".

Maybe these are some valid reasons why more women don't play disc golf.

It is for reasons like this that we decided to spoil all of the ladies that came out to our tournament. We had 6 this year and the competition was fierce. We have some custome bag tags made for each of the ladies. They got better prizes than the men's divisions did for 1st and 2nd. It was not a sanctioned event so we did not have cash payouts, but we tried really hard to make the women who played feel like they were very welcome and encouraged to be there. I have heard good things so I hope that we helped pave the way for more women to come out to play.

This years TWC had the:

That wasn't the worst payout i've seen for a women's event (It does suck to get handed pre-selected plastic, my wife throws mostly max weight discs as well). The rest of the reasons are definitely worth being upset about. I am not trying to disagree with you about how things were handled for that tourney, and the year before was alot more fun, with more ring of fire's and ctp's during the rounds, (even per card on a couple of holes). On the whole, I'm not sure if it was the economy, or what, but it wasn't quite as cool for the women this year. I really wish they could work out a way to do a US Women's DGChamps in Round Rock and take a year off/combine it with TX Womens. They could have the biggest Women's tourney ever.

This years TWC had the....
QUOTE]

It wasn't close the quality of the 08 event for sure.

Pre-packaged payout has it down side but it dose make it easy to get back on the road and headed home. Most of the ladies traded around till they got what they wanted.

Never the less, I enjoyed watching my girl play some sick golf. She put up one round of 920 rated golf. She didn't miss a putt for the first half of that round. Didn't matter where she was.

This years TWC had the:
4. ... They did not even recognize her at the awards ceremony...no disc, no trophy, no good job, not even a pat on the back.
5. At one point the TD told the women "Everyone find a man and tell him thank you for making this tournament possible".

It takes just a minute to give at least a congratulations to the winners of each group. And the last comment is rather pathetic. I'm sure there were a lot of men working hard to make the tournament possible--but that comment is rude to the players and even ruder to those men. Why not take another minute and try to thank them by name?

That's too bad that it had these downers. I had heard good things about the Texas Women's Championships. I hope that they were just understaffed, under-funded, and the people in charge just had an unfortunate day. Maybe it will improve next year (this year? has it already been held?)

Latest posts