• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

why is it bad to start on different holes?

I looked and looked and looked, but I'm sorry; nowhere in my post does it say koogs is a dick. All I said is that cutting in line is dick, especially when those waiting at hole 1 are watching you do it. If in Wisconsin, cutting in line is 'ok' and 'not dick-like,' then by all means, enjoy Wisconsin.

If you weren't supposed to start at hole ONE, and then play hole TWO, and so on and so forth, they would have called the holes 'This one hole right here' and 'That hole with the tree' and 'The hole with the mando.' No need to defend bad habits, bud!

The examples in other posts, like the family of 9, and the 15 locals that refuse to split into smaller groups, are totally valid reasons to skip ahead after you have checked out the scene at hole 1. But when there is a LINE of several groups, you should not skip ahead. Wait in line like everybody else, or play a different course.

'Oh, I parked by hole 5 so I'm starting there, and I'm so sorry! Didn't even notice a line at hole one!' That ones not too cool either.

Last edited:
What would be the point waiting on two groups of five at one, then three hours later finish. I will start where no one is at and go from there. So you Ca. guys can take all the time in world you want and keep waiting on the groups in front of you.:popcorn:

^Are you actually reading my posts or are you just that dumb?

I've read your posts and, sorry, can't agree either.

It's a leap to imply that you must start on Hole 1, because it's numbered so.

If you start elsewhere and no one ever catches you from behind, you've inconvenienced no one.

IF you have a course that's full or nearly full, you've got an argument. But, for example, the courses I play, you don't.

I looked and looked and looked, but I'm sorry; nowhere in my post does it say koogs is a dick. All I said is that cutting in line is dick, especially when those waiting at hole 1 are watching you do it. If in Wisconsin, cutting in line is 'ok' and 'not dick-like,' then by all means, enjoy Wisconsin.

If you weren't supposed to start at hole ONE, and then play hole TWO, and so on and so forth, they would have called the holes 'This one hole right here' and 'That hole with the tree' and 'The hole with the mando.' No need to defend bad habits, bud!

The examples in other posts, like the family of 9, and the 15 locals that refuse to split into smaller groups, are totally valid reasons to skip ahead after you have checked out the scene at hole 1. But when there is a LINE of several groups, you should not skip ahead. Wait in line like everybody else, or play a different course.

'Oh, I parked by hole 5 so I'm starting there, and I'm so sorry! Didn't even notice a line at hole one!' That ones not too cool either.
So if there is a long line at hole 1 and there is nobody else on holes 2-18, I can't start on hole 9? If your answer is no then you are stupid and im gonna stare you and the rest of your group in the face as I walk right past you. If your answer is yes then totally ignore my rambling on as I have had 0 hours of sleep in the past 24 hours.

I almost got into a fight at the course a few years ago over something like this. Course was completely empty besides maybe 3 groups. My buddy and I started on one and were playing pretty slow. Anyways, a group that is playing fast had caught up to us on 13. Since we were playing slow and they didn't see us on the front 9, they assumed we cut infront of them on the back nine. While on the tee pad on 13 they're walking up 12's fairway and the guy starts yelling at us for slow play and cutting infront. My friend then proceeded to yell and swear at him. It was close to getting physical.

Some people don't like it, but that guy was a douche and didn't know what he was talking about.

All I know is you pretty much cannot ever cut in on a Ball Golf course.
If the course is empty who cares, if it is full and there is a line at #1 and groups on every tee then you need to wait at #1 for your turn like everyone else.
This is a major problem on weekends at Golden Gate park in SF. #1 and #10 are just down a path from one another and rec players who don't want to wait their turn will go up to #10. Meanwhile the group on #9 holes out and finds a longer wait on the back nine with new groups in fron tof them.:thmbdown:

^I am also starting to think that having the course return to the parking lot each 9 could be a design flaw for crowded courses (normally I like each 9 returning to the PL though). But, in situations where groups can skip to Hole 10, creating back-up issues for the groups on Hole 9 and behind, it becomes an issue.

Other issues are when two Holes are close together and people skip ahead. When I played at Victor Ashe (Knoxville TN), we had groups skipping from Hole 3 to Hole 5 because of the wait on 3. Such that, by the time we got to Hole 5, there were 5 groups waiting. As we played Hole 5, one of the groups in the back of the line decided to skip to Hole 6. Our group and their group got to Hole 6 at roughly the same time... Luckily for them, they decided not be douches and to go back to Hole 5. (even though the douche-bagery had already been committed).

DSCJNKY

^I am also starting to think that having the course return to the parking lot each 9 could be a design flaw for crowded courses (normally I like each 9 returning to the PL though).

I've never cared about this as a course design factor. I don't think I've ever played with the intention of only getting in 9 holes and that's the only reason I can think this would add to the course (maybe to go back by the restrooms?).

Latest posts