• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Wife says "Change hobbies…"

Not sure if this has been said but make sure and keep disc golf as your number one priority. If the Spouse doesn't like it that is her problem. Be the boss and take off that leash. I've seen many a man get pussy whipped and stuck without a life. Be free!

-Advice from a Single guy without kids.

A man with a 1,3,5, year old is hard on her once your gone with Disc Golf. If you play a tournament and leave all 3 kids at home with her, she probably feels like its overwhelming. My wife and son (6yrs) used to beg me to stay home when he was 2. Then I would say: "I'll be back in a few hours"

I finally realized how much it would hurt me to not have my family in my life as opposed to Disc Golf. They mean the world to me and I love them very much. I've tried to get my wife out there, but she has not enjoyed being around even a casual round. Every time she goes out, we run into someone who is dumb enough to pull out some weed or she almost gets hit with a disc.

I don't play nearly as much, but we have an understanding on it and when I play a disc golf tournament I always buy her a pedicure or manicure. That's a good trade! Keeps me from play as many tournaments as I would like.

A man with a 1,3,5, year old is hard on her once your gone with Disc Golf. If you play a tournament and leave all 3 kids at home with her, she probably feels like its overwhelming. My wife and son (6yrs) used to beg me to stay home when he was 2. Then I would say: "I'll be back in a few hours"

I finally realized how much it would hurt me to not have my family in my life as opposed to Disc Golf. They mean the world to me and I love them very much. I've tried to get my wife out there, but she has not enjoyed being around even a casual round. Every time she goes out, we run into someone who is dumb enough to pull out some weed or she almost gets hit with a disc.

I don't play nearly as much, but we have an understanding on it and when I play a disc golf tournament I always buy her a pedicure or manicure. That's a good trade! Keeps me from play as many tournaments as I would like.
I don't understand why more husbands/fathers don't understand this. :clap:

Could it be that she just doesn't get it? Unfortunately, she doesn't see the real benefits. No one should judge this game without playing it. Today she may not get it but she will in time.

he%20sees%20what%20you%20did%20there.jpg

I go play at 6am before my wife and kids wake up. When I come home they are waking up and breakfast if being made and we start our day. Good luck

Thank you for being a voice of reason in a rather pigheaded thread. Maybe some communication between husband and wife, instead of a thread on a disc golf forum filled with single dudes who don't seem to respect women, will remedy the situation.

^^^This :thmbup:

I don't understand why more husbands/fathers don't understand this. :clap:

I know it took me a couple years and some DEEP conversations to understand the female side of a discin' husband. (I still don't always get it)

Thank you for being a voice of reason in a rather pigheaded thread. Maybe some communication between husband and wife, instead of a thread on a disc golf forum filled with single dudes who don't seem to respect women, will remedy the situation.

I couldn't have said it better myself. I love disc golf, but I love my family more.

i am not a single dude, not married but might as well be after living together for ten years. i love my woman and you better believe i'm not going to let her tell me what i am "allowed" to do. that is why we are together. she understands that. just because i play a lot (and i do mean a lot) of disc golf does not mean that i don't love her. that's just stupid talk.

My wife and I have an understanding about exercise. We both need it to be happy and healthy, we have to work together to get it. She has a personal trainer and goes and does crazy hardcore workouts at the gym. I like Disc Golf. I used to go to the gym, but I didn't really like it. So we have a complex logistical schedule that allows us both to exercise, and still tend our child's needs.

I'm lucky to have some good buddies to play Disc Golf with. But, I get less exercise than I really need when I play casual rounds with my buddies. So I really work hard when I'm solo, and have added additional stuff before/after I play with my buddies. e.g. I do bicycle kicks, pushups, extra jogging before/after/during up hills. One day I'm going to go to her trainer and see if he can put together a Disc Golf specific exercise routine. It also helps to point out how many miles you walk/hike during a round, so get a Pedometer.

Could it be that she just doesn't get it? Unfortunately, she doesn't see the real benefits. No one should judge this game without playing it. Today she may not get it but she will in time.
I just came by to read what others have written to you and want to say **** this guy.

This makes me sick and reinforces why I'll likely never marry. She needs to understand that just because you signed that contract and are a father, doesn't mean you aren't an individual. You are not property. Women can be territorial monsters and you cannot allow anyone to act dominate over you for any reason. Consider divorce and a life with a woman that accepts you for who you are and doesn't enjoy bossing you around.

Last edited:
One day I'm going to go to her trainer and see if he can put together a Disc Golf specific exercise routine. It also helps to point out how many miles you walk/hike during a round, so get a Pedometer.

I'm a personal trainer, let me know I will put something together for ya

This makes me sick and reinforces why I'll likely never marry. She needs to understand that just because you signed that contract and are a father, doesn't mean you aren't an individual. You are not property. Women can be territorial monsters and you cannot allow anyone to act dominate over you for any reason. Consider divorce and a life with a woman that accepts you for who you are and doesn't enjoy bossing you around.

FWIW, there are no shortage of men out there who treat their wives in a similar fashion.

I might also point out we don't really know the OP and his wife, have no idea how much time/attention the OP actually gives to his wife and kids, and have not (and quite likely won't) hear the SO's account on this matter. For all we know, her concerns are plenty justified.

The fact is, when you decide to marry someone and especially start a family with them, you give up a degree of your individuality, and your personal freedom to achieve a greater good that is larger than yourself. In some respects, its like signing up for the military. There is plenty of healthy middle ground between a brash "like hell I will" and a spineless and constant "yes, dear" just to keep her 'happy'.

Just do 25 pushups for every tree you hit. If you're like me you will probably pass out before you hit 18 holes. :thmbup:

I'm telling ya, if you're not with somebody that supports you in everything that you do, then they will hinder you in anything that you do. My ex-wife was the same way and the problem had nothing to do with disc golf. Disc golf was just the mask that she hid behind. The real problem was the fact that she wasn't happy with herself and she didn't want me to be happy. It's just like that saying, "misery loves company. But I tried to make things work. I quit playing and it still didn't help anything. After my divorce, which was finalized a little over a year ago, I couldn't even look at my disc golf bag. I couldn't help but think maybe if I wouldn't have played so much maybe I wouldn't be getting divorced. So after my divorce I didn't play up until about two months ago. I finally realized that disc golf made me happy. And I'm not going to take that away from myself anymore. So I started playing again and I'm as happy as can be. And my current girlfriend has seen that happiness come back to me. She supports me in that. She tells me to go play disc off because she knows it makes me happy. That's why she's a keeper! :) But to the OP, you have kids. I don't. And I know that can make things even more complicated. I wish you the best man, I really do.

I would be like "OK..I will be at the airport for some flying lessons." The last time I checked on a C172 the cost was about $130/hour. So If disc golf is not good enough for her the flying might be. :)

Latest posts