• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter dg gone wrong

I have super bright LED lights taped to about half the discs in my bag during winter. A lot of rounds are night rounds since its dark at 5 but even when it's dusk it helps greatly. They will also shine through the snow, but 3 ft of ribbon or a bottle of chalk is needed for the snow you are playing in.

Blue disc show well in the snow.

Try not to throw sharp hyzers that want to dig into the snow.

If you have group use spotters religiously.

Try not to create too many new tracks, makes it harder to find where your disc entered the snow.

Realize that winter is not summer, and don't try to crush a disc like you would in the summer.

Take 3 months off and pick the game back up in March/April.

I had the bright idea of doing field work in the snow Thursday. Was throwing 15 discs, came home with 14 after searching for almost an hour. Found the light-pink Champ Thunderbird I'd lost after it melted Sunday. Next time I'll just practice putting until it's clear.

I've heard of a guy who would glue dimes to his discs and if he lost one in the snow he would come back with a metal detector. No idea if it actually works though.

I have super bright LED lights taped to about half the discs in my bag during winter. A lot of rounds are night rounds since its dark at 5 but even when it's dusk it helps greatly. They will also shine through the snow, but 3 ft of ribbon or a bottle of chalk is needed for the snow you are playing in.

Chalk? Never heard that. What do you do with it?

So happy I started this thread. I've got some good laughs and I appreciate all the helpful tips. Would also like to thank my friends who reminded me to watch where my disc flies.

I must have forgot about that sometime between October and now

After extensive research (I tried everything), this tape came out on top as the absolute best for attaching ribbons. The adhesive is formulated to stay sticky down to -10F.

tape.jpg

1. Develop a love of sweltering humidity, stinging insects, Anheiser-Busch products and fried foods.
2. Move to Tampa. Great collection of local courses, and it never snows there.

You're welcome.

You wouldn't be allowed to play the winter night league I play in, in Minneapolis.
Scotch 33+ electrical tape, or stay home :D

That's a shame, because Scotch 33+ is only rated down to 0 degrees fahrenheit. Sounds like he found better tape.

disclaimer: I love Scotch 33+ and use it for almost everything.

That's a shame, because Scotch 33+ is only rated down to 0 degrees fahrenheit. Sounds like he found better tape.

disclaimer: I love Scotch 33+ and use it for almost everything.

Whatever floats your boat. I play a weekly 6:00 pm night league from November to March (daylight savings to daylight savings) for a few years now in the burbs of Minneapolis.
I even had perfect attendance (i.e. no life on Wednesday award!) last year.

Temps get well below zero. I think we had at least a -15 last year. Wind chill was pushing -30. Sometimes we have a foot of fresh snow.

From years of experience, I won't play with anything else. Haven't lost a disc at night winter league ever. I throw a white 08 drone and a first run buzzz at night, in the cold, in deep snow, with confidence :D

Whatever floats your boat. I play a weekly 6:00 pm night league from November to March (daylight savings to daylight savings) for a few years now in the burbs of Minneapolis.
I even had perfect attendance (i.e. no life on Wednesday award!) last year.

Temps get well below zero. I think we had at least a -15 last year. Wind chill was pushing -30. Sometimes we have a foot of fresh snow.

From years of experience, I won't play with anything else. Haven't lost a disc at night winter league ever. I throw a white 08 drone and a first run buzzz at night, in the cold, in deep snow, with confidence :D

One time I played with that Frost King tape in -100 degree temps at the North Pole. I throw a bleached white '01 CE Roc with gold dust mixed into the plastic (limited run), and it's no problem to find. But if you want to use that cheap Scotch stuff down in Minnesota, be my guest.

For deep & powdery snow, I'll play a 1 disc round with a Makani (large diameter, 140g). Very tough for that disc to dive under the snow.

Once you've lost one under the surface, I'm afraid the options are limited. As others have said, look for the entry mark, although it can be tough to spot depending on the light angle.

If the snow is soft enough, gridding out the rough area and thoroughly kicking/raking it is the most extreme option. It's not a guarantee, but it's the closest you can get without having to wait for the snow to melt. (Of course, you have to have a general idea of where the disc came to rest for this to work.)

One time I played with that Frost King tape in -100 degree temps at the North Pole. I throw a bleached white '01 CE Roc with gold dust mixed into the plastic (limited run), and it's no problem to find. But if you want to use that cheap Scotch stuff down in Minnesota, be my guest.

:clap::clap::clap:

Latest posts