• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Winter Disc Golf

JerrodStevens

Anyone know of any good gloves for playing in the winter? My hands froze last time I played and I couldn't throw as well.

Any decent gloves or mittens should do when it comes to keeping your hands warm, especially if you tuck a handwarmer into them. Just take them off to throw, then put them back on when you're done.

I wear the original Mechanix Wear gloves for throwing discs when it is below freezing. They do affect my grip a little bit, but I actually don't notice it until I take them off and throw a disc without them. Ideally, I would never have to use them, but that is not really a good option for me for much of the winter.

I agree with Steve West...keep your core warmer and the extremities are easier to keep warm.
While I believe this to be true for majority of people, there are those who have a tougher time keeping their extremities warm.

Don't get me wrong, you're in trouble if you don't keep your core warm. But I can't play if my arms and hands get cold, so insulated vests don't get it done for me.

Maybe it's just me, but I've never had an issue keeping my core warm when my arms are ok.

We all have the same parts and basic design, and certain general principles apply across the board. Still, each of us is unique. There's simply no substitute for getting to know how your body responds and how to adapt those general principles to suit your situation.

Last edited:
I wear a mitten with a hand warmer on my off hand. A thin liner glove protects my hand from the warmer.

My throwing hand is bare but goes in a pocket with a hand warmer when not throwing.

As mentioned above, pick up discs with the mittened off hand.

I use a cheap snug fitting mechanics glove on my throwing hand with an electronic handwarmer in my pocket. I throw with a glove year-round anyway, it gives me a consistent grip no matter what the weather is.

I use cheap cotton/poly gloves on both hands ($1/ pair) plus hand warmers. They really don't affect my game... I can throw tee shots, touch shots and putt about the same as I usually do.

But they absorb water, so only good in dry (below freezing) conditions. Above freezing, with melting snow, I typically go barehanded.

*which might just mean... "your game can't get any worse"

Last edited:
What are these things you call gloves? (SW Florida high temp today: 86 degrees F).

We don't get much really cold weather here in NC but we did play in the teens a couple times and the 20's on several occasions so I'll toss a couple pennies. I have very poor circulation in my hands so if the weather is in the 40's I'm likely wearing gloves. I found thin synthetic runners gloves in Walmart for about $10 and they work incredibly well for me. New Years Eve I went to a work day/ play day at my buddies course, started at 10 in 24 degrees, worked til about 1, played 27 holes of mob golf (4 hours), then a glow tiki round. It wasn't until hole 15 of the tiki round that my hands started getting cold. Don't know why cheap wally world gloves work so well but they do.

I do not wear gloves but quarterback hand warmers work great. Keep your throwing hand warm and pick up the disc with your off hand.

Completely agree with the above. Also, if you need to wipe snow off the disc try not to touch any snow with bare skin. It helps a lot if I keep my throwing hand as warm as possible.

Quality made mitten for my throwing hand (easy on/off) and if cold enough a hand warmer inside as well. Usually a glove on the off hand for easy picking up of any thrown discs. For me I have to use bare hand for throwing or it doesnt feel quite right. Mitten keeps hand warm and dry and makes it easy to take off to throw and put back on when done.

Also have heard lots of good things about those QB pouches for keeping hands warm.

Gloves? We don't need no stinkin gloves!

1. Take hand out of pocket
2. Throw disc
3. put hand back in pocket (if wet, wipe hand on pants first before stuffing in pocket)

When it's really cold, mittens are way better than gloves. They hold more air so they're better at insulating, and they have a lot less surface area to lose heat. Also if you need a handwarmer, it'll fit near the fingertips where you really need it.

Quality made mitten for my throwing hand (easy on/off) and if cold enough a hand warmer inside as well. Usually a glove on the off hand for easy picking up of any thrown discs. For me I have to use bare hand for throwing or it doesnt feel quite right. Mitten keeps hand warm and dry and makes it easy to take off to throw and put back on when done.

Also have heard lots of good things about those QB pouches for keeping hands warm.

This is exactly what i do. Usually by hole 4 or 5 I am generating enough heat to not need the mitten, even in very cold temperatures. I generally keep the glove on the off hand for a few more holes, but almost always end the round with no gloves or mittens.

The coldest I've played has been about 0 (Fahrenheit). Most winter rounds are below freezing. I've never had to abandon a round due to excessive cold. It's all about dressing right:
  • Under layer on bottom and top (tight fitting tecnical fabric)
  • Wool socks
  • Knee-length gaiters if its wet or snowy
  • Waterproof boots
  • Tee Shirt
  • Long sleeve outer shirt (windproof if possible)
  • Warm vest
  • Lined hat with ear flaps
  • Whole head balaclava if it's really cold

Now, I am picturing myself done up in a snowmobile suit like the kid in A Christmas Story, just so I can go without gloves.

There has got to be a point where ones says that thin gloves is preferable to all the extra layers necessary to bring their body to a thermal setting at which they can go gloveless.

Latest posts