• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

With the oncoming colder weather

How much will you be playing disc golf in the colder weather?

• More than usual

Votes: 23 14.4%
  • About the same as Spring/Summer

Votes: 68 42.5%
  • Less than usual

Votes: 69 43.1%

• Total voters
I don't mind the weather, but when it gets dark so early and you have a 30+ minute drive to the nearest course, it's really hard to get weekday rounds in. I still play a lot on weekends, but overall I just can't play as much.

Exactly this^. I will play in snow, 20 degree weather, or biting winds, but I am not interested in playing a whole lot of glow golf. I will definitely play occasionally, but not too often.

Less, most likely due to working more hours at work, and needing rest.

That being said, there are advantages to winter play...

1. Courses are less crowded, and its usually the TDD crowd that stays home.
2. Foliage disappears from the trees opening lines that weren't there before.
3. Grass dies down and ground hardens allowing for bigger skips.
4. Ponds sometimes freeze over making skips off of them possible and disc retrieval potentially easier when they don't make it back to land.
5. "Minimal maintenance" courses that are overgrown during the summer, can be made playable for the winter with one end of summer mowing job and some cleanup.
6. Some locales get winter seasonal courses when their summer courses close down.
7. Ice bowls and glow golf.

You forgot #8.

Thick brush becomes thin... and the early bird finds a crapload of discs.

usual. 6-7 days a week. be a heck of a lot easier to get 2-3 rounds a day in with it not being so energy-draining hot out

The winter here sucks becasue they take down a lot of our baskets to make way for the christmas lights they put up in the park.

email-compression-Walkway-of-Lights-Marion.JPG

Is that those things you drive through at like... ten miles an hour? Just ten minutes of looking at lights along the sides of the road of the park?

What a stupid concept.

It'll be about the same for me. Possibly even more often. Not sure what this winter has in store for us since last year was the most snow Ive ever seen in Texas EVER!!! The temp has gotten almost up into the triple digits a few years ago in December.

Play it all year round. Those who voted "play more in the winter" live in Phoenix. I know because I lived there for a while and it is super hot in the summer, but come "winter", you can play with temps in the low 70s!

Play it all year round. Those who voted "play more in the winter" live in Phoenix. I know because I lived there for a while and it is super hot in the summer, but come "winter", you can play with temps in the low 70s!

Fah. Florida golfers do the same thing.

Only we do it in the 50's.

Those who voted "play more in the winter" live in Phoenix.

I play more during Buffalo winters, lake effect and all, simply because I have a lot more free time then.

It's just as fun as summer, if not more. No bugs, no leaves, and no crowds on the course.