• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Would you watch a local tournament (as a spectator) you weren't playing in?

Local event? I'm either unavailable, volunteering or playing. If for some reason I couldn't do any of the above, I'd caddy. Or play another course. I might spectate an A-Tier, but definitely NOT a B.

If I was unable to play due to injury or handcuffs or something then, yeah, I'd spectate.

I agree with Mash...if I've got the extra time, I'm going to go play, not watch others play.

IF I wasnt playing I would take my stool, drink, and my cell phone (for videos and pics). I would probably follow the lead open card around and maybe a few of my buddies cards around. But most likely I would be playing instead of watching.

I live 10 minutes from a course that hosts a National Tourney (Brett Hambrick Memorial) every year, and I haven't gone to watch that so there's no way in hell I'm wasting my time watching anything less. I'd rather go hit another course that will be a little quieter because all the good players are playing in the tourney. Or as others have said, volunteer and get to know guys that way.

I don't want to sound like I'm not interested in watching the BMHO, I was just out of town during the tourney last year. I'd love to see how top notch players attack some of the holes that I struggle with, but you're not really going to see that at a B-tier.

If I couldn't play, then I'd volunteer to help out in the tent or maybe caddy; but being a pure spectator doesn't interest me -- unless a close friend was in contention, then maybe.

I watched plenty of times at local events when I lived in DFW. Drove 8 hours to watch The Memorial last year, though we had friends we wanted to see that we stayed with and were also happy to get out of the winter snow here in Colorado.

What if there was a reason for you to come and spectate? Let's say the tourney was full, which is why you can't play, and you were to either play another course, or watch the final round of the tournament.

If spectators got some sort of benefits for their time, like a free throw for a brand new basket, or a chance at cool prizes, or the ability to play side games with the people playing, would that help you come out and watch for a couple hours?

Been playing for less than a year and I currently have no intrest in playing in a tournament.
I have gone to watch, eat and even bought a few discs at a tournament that was not far from my house. Even took my two young girls. Followed a buddy of mine for a few holes.

Had fun and would do it again.

I tried it once last year and it was terrible. All I wanted to do was grab a frisbee from their bag and join in.

I left and went to another course that wasn't being used.

No. I'd rather play a casual round by myself than watch others play. Now, if I were injured and bored one afternoon, I might go help spot on a hole or something, if it were an event my friends were running.

Maybe I would watch it, but def. not live. Maybe if I was interested in seeing how everyone played or if something amazing happened. But I'd rather be there.

To be completely honest, I usually rather play alone than with a group of people, so hanging out with a group of people watching another group of people play just isn't that appealing. I have been to the final 9 of the BHMO and that is pretty cool, but to my eyes, disc golf just isn't a spectator friendly sport.

Latest posts