• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Your Favorite Forehand Mid-Range Disc

I used to use a shark a lot when I first started. But back then I never Forehanded a midrange I may have to try it out. What is the main advantages of a shark vs a shark 3?

So my mids wobble at the start of the flight consistently. I don't have much wobble problem with putters so its strange for me wondering how a more stable midrange would wobble more than a putter since putters are more sensitive. I am looking for something with great release and something that will give me more options since putters hold lines so well it would be nice to have something I could flex a little or just have a nice slow hyzer approach.

This is non-standard and may surprise you, but the first disc I was able to forehand very well was the Star Mako3.

I also throw my Pink Panther forehand. It goes straight and finishes straight; very little fade at the end. My Pink Panther is more stable than most Panthers, so keep that in mind. But give the Panther and Mako3 a shot and see how they do for you.

Could be your release angle. I hyzerflip most putters, but for mids I like to throw them flatter.

If your release point is consistent and doesn't roll, you can do two things; find a disc that complements your desired release angle, or adjust your release to the discs you have.

It makes more sense to me to find a disc that gels with your form, if there is nothing wrong with it, but you could have a slight wrist roll issue.

I have an issue flicking beaded discs. I don't know what it is exactly. Beaded discs come out of my hand with flutter when I throw them sidearm. The only mids I carry are Rocs & Mortars. I have problems flicking my Rocs. So the only mid I flick is the Mortar. My touch forehand game isn't consistent enough for me to sidearm understable mids/putters in competitive rounds. It's something I need to work on. The Mako3 has worked well for me in the past. I carried a Gator in my bag for years. I switched to the Mortar because of how well it performs for my forehand. If you want to try out a Mortar just know the 1.4's have a microbead.

So my mids wobble at the start of the flight consistently. I don't have much wobble problem with putters so its strange for me wondering how a more stable midrange would wobble more than a putter since putters are more sensitive. I am looking for something with great release and something that will give me more options since putters hold lines so well it would be nice to have something I could flex a little or just have a nice slow hyzer approach.

It's probably related to the wider diameter of mids. Something about your grip/release angles isn't jiving with the wider discs. I'd smooth it out and see if you can get your wrist and the disc on the same plane more.

I actually don't really FH mids for the same reason, I just flick putters, whether an Ion, a Breaker, Polecat or Pu. Once in a blue moon I'll flick a mid, Nebula (similar to the Verdict) or a Fuse but I have to really be deliberate so I don't OAT the **** out of it.

I replaced fore handing most midranges with fore handing "putters". I use to throw all z wasps for stand ups to over stable. Now I use proD and esp zones for everything flip up to over stable

Roc3. Same thing I use for backhand approaches.

Mainly my wasp and harp if I flick my Buzzz it turns so the buzzes and archer get hyzer flip flicked when I need that( mostly scramble shots) I'm really wanting to try this Gila I keep hearing of though.

I flick Rocs and Roc3s and can flick almost anything with or with out a bead. The Mako3 works really well for making sure your form is clean, and it's beadless.

This is non-standard and may surprise you, but the first disc I was able to forehand very well was the Star Mako3.

I also throw my Pink Panther forehand. It goes straight and finishes straight; very little fade at the end. My Pink Panther is more stable than most Panthers, so keep that in mind. But give the Panther and Mako3 a shot and see how they do for you.

Wont the Mako3 turn over? or do you use it as a hyzer flip disc? Looks like a sweet disc.

I can recommend the opto compass. Handles power, goes straight into a little fade. Nice lazer beam and hyzer disc.

On the course these days, almost always a Z Buzzz. Good for straight 200' shots and even better for various right to left forehand anhyzers. Requires some touch, and I would never throw it with 100% power.

If you're looking for something slightly more overstable, the Hornet is an awesome option. Sneaky far for a mid, and beefy enough to let you put some yoink on it without it turning/burning too easily.

Of course, Drone is a good traditional "meathook" mid, with very good distance potential as well. Haven't tried a Buzzz OS, but I'm sure lots of folks have recommended one.

Verdict is an awesome forehand disc - the microbead is small enough not to interfere with any kind of grip. I switched to it from a Buzzz OS (another great forehand disc) to get some added glide while still being stable/OS.

The Zone is an amazing forehand disc, and is widely considered a putter/mid tweener for its speed. I actually will typically bag the zone alongside the verdict as I find it complements it well - low glide, short, dumpy approach flicks versus long "upside down L" shots in the woods.

Finally the MD4 seems like another perfect option - the rim is chunkier than the Verdict and it's a little deeper.

The people with bead issues probably dislike the deeper rim depth of most beaded mids and putters. Otherwise, it's hand feel. For me it's both.

I used to flick Zones all the time. Gonna get back to it with some field work. BuzzzOS is another one. Flat top, shallow rim, and no bead.