• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your Nightmare Hole

+BRP #4 looks like a nightmare! I want to play that course bad.

+17 at Grignon -- "toughest hole in the valley" just ask tallpaul or Rich!

hole 17 at grignon park in kaukauna, wisconsin. no man alive can ace this hole, i don't care how far you can throw. narrow fairway lined with a creek the entire way along.

Classic multi-shot hole. A narrow margin of error to get a decent upshot for a par. It's a *fairly* dry creek that's considered casual water (no penalty), it lines the whole left side of your upshot, which leads up to a peninsula basket placement with casual water on 3 sides of the basket. Low canopy on the upshot. If you're right of left on your 1st or 2nd shot, it's time to take your medicine and just throw out onto the fairway praying for a 4.

this photo is from the Am teepad, so backup about 100' slightly to the left. The dogleg is nearly 90 degrees right. The dark spot in the pic is over the creek.
367ac4f2.jpg

fdb96ed9_m.jpg

This used to be my worst hole ever. I would go to this one hole and throw disc after disc to figure it out.

A regular right hander can just toss the disc and it lands for an easy 2. I throw fore hand and can not throw back hand for the life of me.

I figured out how to approach this hole now. I just roll my BOSS on the ground and it sets me up for a nice shot.

See I would get 4's all of the time because I had such a bad shot before. Now I even made a 2 with my new technique.

Yeah FH rollers work really well there. I throw RHBH and I go through periods where I just can't get the hole right. It's short length is deceptive...it's really easy for me to over shoot and end up in the bushes. I've thrown my share of ugly drives on that hole.

Touché. That hole looks very intimidating, yet fun :thmbup: 620' through those woods is a long way. Do you play the hole as a par3?

What do you throw there? DX Teebird? Seeing the picture I'd probably throw a Valk rhbh, or something fh
I throw a Roc in casual play. If I were in a tournament I'd throw a Wizard and just stay in the fairway. The guy that said he threw an Aero 200' for a 4 played it perfectly. It wouldn't surprise me in the least to see top pros doing that just to keep from losing strokes. There are much better opportunity to gain strokes on that course. Picking up 1 to 4 strokes that way sounds pretty normal. It's uncommon to see a 3. That would definitely be a birdie and perhaps even an eagle.

You have to get to upper Advanced or Pro before people are really getting any reliable D and staying in the fairway consistently. It's not an easy line to hit. Even a straight Teebird shot can hit a tree on the right side and kick you down into the gully. You'll pick up a stroke on every shot that someone else throws that ends up in the woods on the left. There's pretty much only one option if that happens and it's to just throw back onto the fairway. You're lucky to pick up 30'-50' if that happens.

bc7baad2_m.jpg

Hole 16 at Charlie Vettiner Park in the summer (trees grown up)... Forces you to throw a 150 ft hyzer shot off the tee... then 300 ft uphill - with obstacles if the tee shot isn't placed well - to a guarded basket on a rocky surface on a steep hill (read: putts rolling way away)... This hole kills me every round :wall:

I hear you. I'm happy when I can get par (4) on this one.

#10 Shady Oaks, Sacramento CA. Affectionately called the "Tree Jail". This hole is a roll of the dice through the trees.

Every solution gives way to a new problem.

This saying sums up holes #3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 10, 11, 12, & 14 @ Oshtemo, MI.

Shot placement dominates this course more than any course I have every played. Great drives can mean you have little to no shot for the approach. The holes above don't all apply to the rule, but one slight mistake and a bogie is considered a good thing.

The pictures online do no justice, but if you are occasionally shooting EVEN from the longs I have tons of respect for your game.

My nightmare hole is anything that is just out of my controllable distance. These are the holes that I tend to lose strokes on, because I can birdie them (and pick up a stroke on 99% of the guys around) but get more 4s trying than its really worth.
The holes that really challenge me are my favorites, I love the challenge.

Fun thread! Played Rice Universtiy DGC the past couple of days and #5 has proved the trickiest for me. At 230' it should be a birdie opp, but I haven't put it in reasonable birdie range yet. The only real shot from the tee forces u to shoot high and to have a good swing to the right. I've tried some high RHBH annys to mixed effects. The shot seems to be a forehand with a good hook to the right, but it's problematic to use a stable driver at such a short length. Tricky hole!

1e0dd9e0.jpg

For me, Hole 4 at Sylmar from the Pro Tee. Right now, I have a 30-40% chance of making the double mando and even when I do, it's not a guaranteed 3. Missed mando is almost a guaranteed double bogey.

Hole 4 can be seen from the Pro tee at 11 seconds in.

Fun thread! Played Rice Universtiy DGC the past couple of days and #5 has proved the trickiest for me. At 230' it should be a birdie opp, but I haven't put it in reasonable birdie range yet. The only real shot from the tee forces u to shoot high and to have a good swing to the right. I've tried some high RHBH annys to mixed effects. The shot seems to be a forehand with a good hook to the right, but it's problematic to use a stable driver at such a short length. Tricky hole!

1e0dd9e0.jpg

I had the same problem with hole 9 at Family of Christ Lutheran Church in Ham Lake, MN, until my friend, on accident determined a RHBH throw with a buzzz or roc, and a pretty good amount of snap, will usually fade back to the right, leaving an actual ace opportunity, sometimes a birdie opp, but always an easy par. You just have to make sure to throw a little anhyzer, pretty high, 30 feet or so, into the air.

+BRP #4 looks like a nightmare! I want to play that course bad.

+17 at Grignon -- "toughest hole in the valley" just ask tallpaul or Rich!

Classic multi-shot hole. A narrow margin of error to get a decent upshot for a par. It's a *fairly* dry creek that's considered casual water (no penalty), it lines the whole left side of your upshot, which leads up to a peninsula basket placement with casual water on 3 sides of the basket. Low canopy on the upshot. If you're right of left on your 1st or 2nd shot, it's time to take your medicine and just throw out onto the fairway praying for a 4.

this photo is from the Am teepad, so backup about 100' slightly to the left. The dogleg is nearly 90 degrees right. The dark spot in the pic is over the creek.
367ac4f2.jpg

holy crap that is a hard hole, although I really enjoyed it the couple of times i played it. I think i might have gotten one 3, and like a 5 or something. I like grignon much more than plamann, to bad I can't drive to get there yet.

This hole at lippoled park always gives me a problem. The basket is tucked in the trees to the left where the path truns right. You have to hit about a 10' opening (the dark spot in the trees middle of pic) to get to the basket. Oh and don't leave a shot to the right of the path its a swamp!:doh:

Attachments

• f5346949_m.jpg
    f5346949_m.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 30
The Coyote #10 in Cedar Hill Texas is my nemesis… That hole gets in my head so much, and pisses me off, and I'm sure that's why I shoot so bad on it. I know its going to be a disaster as soon as I step on the pad!

1e0dd9e0.jpg

thumber.

Hole #6 at Moraine State Park

Gold 934'
Blue 675
White 563

c0b60757.jpg

01e51c7d.jpg

From gold its a 1000' par 5 through a low and tight tunnels. If you get into the middle trees youre screwed. If you go off of the fairway youre screwed. It takes 3 real good low shots to even see the pin

You have to throw through the gate, basket is set to the right, and as if this isnt bad enough. If you dont par it, you lose your soul. >.<

gates-of-hell-open3.jpg