• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Z NUKE inconsistencies?

kcplease

Double Eagle Member
My nuke will not flip ever in no wind, but it seems like once the wind hits the magical number of 10 miles per hour, it turns and burns in a headwind. Is this normal?

I quit throwing my Z Nuke 172 because it flips on me no matter what the wind is doing. I switched to a 164 ESP Nuke and it flies remarkably better.

I have thrown a few different weight z nukes and I find them all to be very different. But the two esp nuke's I have thrown are veery consistent

I quit throwing my Z Nuke 172 because it flips on me no matter what the wind is doing. I switched to a 164 ESP Nuke and it flies remarkably better.

I have 2 Z's and 2 ESP's. Usually ESP's are less stable than Z's for most molds. Not for the Nuke. My Z's are definitely less stable. It's OK though as long as you know. I can actually get more distance out of the Z's...you just have to play the hyzer flip. They are great down wind. I wouldn't throw a Nuke of any kind into a significant headwind.

loved my z nukes.

until i found the havoc. does the same job...but is much less touchy than the nuke.

the less discrap in my bag, the better.

I probably have 50 or more unthrown Nukes here to choose from but i'm still using the first 2 1st Run ESP's, another 1st Run Z and a fly dyed Z in my bag. I throw one of my ESP's as my overstable driver. I threw it into a 25-30mph headwind two weekend ago and I got in to trouble because it was too overstable and hyzered off into the woods.

I have a 170 purple flatty and a 168 orange mini dome (if it were boobs it would be an A cup)
Neither one likes any headwind. Instant turn and burn. They do glide better than the competition though, so its a tradeoff.
If I feel a breeze in my face when I walk up to the tee, I pull a Boss instead.
If I'm having to lean forward to keep from blowing over, I pull an Xcal.

my z seems very predictable, esp is less stable ( a little farther) but i've thrown mine into some strong head winds and it didn't flip on me

ok, I'll keep working with it in the field, once all this damn snow melts.

My Zs have been incredible and not flippy at all. They are all 172 and except for my latest second run, all of the same batch, which i guess helps make it look like the Zs are consistent.

I am really looking forward to giving the Havoc a try. I like the Halos but the Nukes have more distance potential. I have tried the Flows and Vulcans, they have great potential as well, but i am more comfortable with my Z Nukes. What I would like to try is the Cyztral Nukes and see what their stability looks like. I just cannot justify ponying up another 25-30 dollars when i already spent some money on the Vulcans and now am planning on buying at least two Havocs if not three.

They are understable discs, the magical 10mph wind is probably just enough to a. get the disc up to cruise speed (throwing into the wind simulates throwing faster) and b. highlights form issues, if 11mph is turn and burn and 9mph is fine, its probably some oat as well. Slight increase in wind or power should not have such a radical change on a disc.
That said, I rarely will throw a nuke if there is any headwind as they are max D discs meant to turn.

They are understable discs, the magical 10mph wind is probably just enough to a. get the disc up to cruise speed (throwing into the wind simulates throwing faster) and b. highlights form issues, if 11mph is turn and burn and 9mph is fine, its probably some oat as well. Slight increase in wind or power should not have such a radical change on a disc.
That said, I rarely will throw a nuke if there is any headwind as they are max D discs meant to turn.
This is why I avoid discs that are this speed sensitive. I'm just not good enough to control them. With all of the non speed sensitive options available I can't justify throwing something that only might get me an extra 10' if I can't control it.

My nuke will not flip ever in no wind, but it seems like once the wind hits the magical number of 10 miles per hour, it turns and burns in a headwind. Is this normal?

Pick up a Echo Star Boss...nearly the same disc, but more aggressive in the wind...and noticably faster than the nuke or katana out of the hands. but not as stable as the champion or normal star boss.

If you do run into tons of wind and you are comfortable throwing a disc hard with lots of snap, then the normal star boss is the ferrari of wind discs.