• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Tesla

The heavy Tesla will be more overstable than your Volt, especially if you're throwing your Inertia around 300 feet. You can test both Teslas, but I bet you'll want to bag the lighter one.

In that case, I think I will only throw the 159 tomorrow. If I am not happy with that weight, then I guess it will give me an excuse to order a Mike C edition in a heavy weight.....I need an intervention I think.

As I had posted with the thread on Craves, I did some field work today. The Tesla was in the mix. I need to work with it a bit more, however it was a joy to throw. This will for sure be in my bag. I need to spend more time figuring how it fits with a Renagade and Trespass, however it has a place. Fun!

As usual the tesla was intuitive and just great forhand all day. On the fairly short course I played a tourney on I only had one hole to play it on BH and the first round I had a crazy stiff headwind and it's downhill 480 with a huge backup and tight gap and after 25 min wait as I'm about to shoot the wind died and I shanked woods left, partly my fault, partly the gust dying. I got a great save which got applause from above only because they were betting on it but I learned a bit next round and layed into more to stay safe on the way to an easy three and a 7- which was three(maybe four) off the hot round for the day. Not enough to cash with a more moderate first round but in the end it felt good to trust the tesla into a big wind in front of a big gallery, particularly after shanking it the first time.

got to play my first round with the tesla yesterday. One thing is for certain if this disc is the volt's big bro... he must be a BIG bro. this disc can handle a ton of power, and I almost wish I had gotten a lighter one. But while this disc breaks in I think I will be removing my max from the bag. I think I can cover most or all the shots I use my max for with a tesla, plus some other shots that were being taken by my D2. It also seems that the tesla isn't very skip happy, like my max and d2 are, so now I got a good combo with the D2 and tesla. on a side note I have been getting great results throwing my inertia at 75-90% power.

Since I had such great results with the Inertia, I decided to pick up a Tesla yesterday. My dealer has the perfect weight for me at 161g. In my hands, this disc is crazy overstable in my hands. It was pretty windy. I'll have to give it a few more outings, but compared with the Inertia, I'm disappointed.

If your inertia isn't flying understable then the tesla will be overstable for you. beat the disc in a bit to work out some of the fresh from the factory LSS like any disc has when brand new. While the tesla has solid LSS its not a truly overstable disc IMO. Stable for sure but it won't flight out of a anny release like an actually OS disc at 350'+

You have a point, Aim. But stability will be perceived in different ways. Most throwers will never see their fresh Tesla as anything but overstable. And you can see that in many posts here in this thread. A stable/overstable fairway driver is not a bad disc to bag.

that's the problem-- stability shouldn't be perceived in different ways due to your power level. Tons of people playing out on a DG course don't get anything but a hard left fade out of every disc but does that mean all their discs are OS? :p

Tesla is a stable distance driver IMO not OS. Happy Easter!!!!!

Happy Easter. We're not done yet. :p

If a player cannot throw a disc fast enough to defeat it's HSS, it will always remain stable, no matter what angle it's thrown at.

BTW, I agree with you on the Tesla. It was designed as a stable distance driver. But only big arms will see it fly straight. Now the Motion on the other hand...my goodness. I am already seeing myself laugh as I throw it. :D

Happy Easter. We're not done yet. :p

If a player cannot throw a disc fast enough to defeat it's HSS, it will always remain stable, no matter what angle it's thrown at.

When speaking about stability, you should be speaking about the disc, not the thrower. One is a constant, the other a variable.

If you're going to attack it from the thrower's perspective, make sure you qualify it with some facts so as to not waste a different thrower's money and time.

One can only truly judge the flight of a disc from his own hands.

If you're going to attack it from the thrower's perspective, make sure you qualify it with some facts so as to not waste a different thrower's money and time.

If you're referring to how I test discs, I believe I always say how I think it will fly in the hands of a higher/lower power thrower. I'm not sure what "facts" you mean though. Facts like the manufacturer's description/flight ratings? Wing shape/width?

What is the first thing we all ask on here when someone inquires about a disc. "How far do you throw?" It makes all the difference. Yes, the disc may be constant (depending on who makes it), but the thrower's arm dictates how it will fly.

It was a royal you, not you specifically.

Any disc in question refers to a specific disc. Regardless of how disc flight changes from run to run/plastic to plastic, the disc (note that I said disc as no company's lineup has ever been identical over time) you're reviewing isn't going to suddenly fly differently without some outside variable changing it.

The point that I'm making is that reviews of a disc that you (again, not you specifically) can't bring up to its intended cruising speed really do a disservice to those that can. Someone saying a driver doesn't turn when they aren't throwing it 300' is about as useful as tits on a bull because a large percent of drivers won't turn at that distance, even some understable ones.

The Tesla was designed to go straight at...oh...maybe 375' or more of distance. (And I only know this from reading reviews and Mike's video)

So, is it a straight disc? By design, at full potential, yes. But would you tell a guy who throws 200 that it will fly straight for him?

How about a Vulcan? I couldn't get the one I threw to turn for the life of me. But it is a "flippy" disc to others. This is why MVP's flight charts are, IMO, the best in the industry. They tell the whole story at a glance.

Last edited:
So, is it a straight disc? By design, at full potential, yes. But would you tell a guy who throws 200 that it will fly straight for him?

I would tell a guy who throws 200 feet to quit trying and start throwing a Comet.

They tell the whole story at a glance.

As an English major, I've found no story is ever told from a glance.

A Tangent would be better.

If you say so.

Then you haven't seen MVP's flight charts. ;)

I have, and they look just as vague as every other flight chart or number system. Just like a good book, the reviews on the back don't tell me the story. Cracking it open, bending the spine and pouring over every word until you have a headache is the only way to know a story.

Latest posts