• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2 holes in 1?

I've always loved this concept---a bunch of holes in pairs that can be two shorter holes, or 1 epic hole, so that you can mix-&-match to create a layout.
The concept is good,but I definitely got carried away doing it over so many holes. It was a helluva lot of work to make the fairways merge on some holes, to only play it a couple of times a year.
I'm definitely going to use it as my doubles tourney course from now on, whether people like it or not.

Is there a support group for private course owners who can't quit tinkering with their courses ? Sounds like the Sauls have the same affliction.

Last edited:
It is totally brutal...only about 10 people ever played the original 12 supercourse holes... it was always doubles and never pretty. Sloppy is in that elite club. Most people want no part of a steady diet of 600-800 foot holes through tight woods, but I'm not giving up.
Just needs more tweaking.
The nice thing is that you can throw in any number of supercourse holes into a round to change things up and I can envision a couple combined sc holes becoming regular holes-(2&3 and 8&9).

On my last visit to Sugaree Mando treated us to a 'normal' round of 25 holes up and round the mountain, followed up by his twisted little super course. There may also have been a few beers added as part of the program. Needless to say, we all slept well that night. Some of his super course holes are simply awesome. Even if the scores aren't.

I'm just getting a taste of this drug, but I can feel the addiction starting to take hold.

I'd probably be done clearing holes if I had just stuck to the standard layout, my desire to have longer more challenging options has taken so much more time.

I'm just getting a taste of this drug, but I can feel the addiction starting to take hold.

I'd probably be done clearing holes if I had just stuck to the standard layout, my desire to have longer more challenging options has taken so much more time.
I can't even imagine trying to design a course after playing over 1000 courses rapid-fire. With my level of indecision, I would be a basket case. Way too much information and possibilities to draw on.

Time to get out there and burn some brush :D

Believe me, I'm a basket case out there most of the time.

Good thing Forest is the only one that has to put up with me.

The concept is good,but I definitely got carried away doing it over so many holes. It was a helluva lot of work to make the fairways merge on some holes, to only play it a couple of times a year.
I'm definitely going to use it as my doubles tourney course from now on, whether people like it or not.

Is there a support group for private course owners who can't quit tinkering with their courses ? Sounds like the Sauls have the same affliction.

I always hedge when someone asks when the course was finished. It's never finished!

For this 2-in-1 concept, I always imagined designing epic holes, at least 600', then seeing if they could be divided into shorter holes, rather than trying to combine two shorter holes. Alas, on the one example at Stoney Hill, that's not the way we did it. Fortunately for us, ours is in a more open part of the property, rather than carving it through the woods.

I always hedge when someone asks when the course was finished. It's never finished!

Truer words were never spoken. Just because the tees are laid out and the baskets are in the ground, it doesn't mean the course is finished. A designer's mind never seems to rest, especially when he has carte blanche on his own property.

I've seen it work really well in the small scale, the last couple holes at the Fun Farm in Indiana do that with a great long hole that combines the last two holes for a fun alternative. The Campgaw courses in NJ also do that for part of the layout, several of the black holes are combinations of green holes. It's a cool idea to offer different levels of play on the same course as long as it's marked well enough that it doesn't get confusing to players on either layout.
Old thread... Are you aware of any other courses that use combo holes?

As I mentioned 10 years ago -- when this thread was last active -- we have one of those at Stoney Hill. We have two overlapping layouts -- it's a single long hole on one layout, two short(er) holes on the other layout.

....we also once split a 629' hole into 2 holes for a tournament, when a registration snafu resulted in it overfilling, and we needed a few extra holes.

Did this when we kept tweaking our Williamsburg (Ohio) course. I created tone poles and made signage for 'FunBurg', which used Lettered holes instead of numbered. Nobody seemed to care or try it since we didn't have chain baskets, so we abandoned it after a couple of years. Well, a couple of us enjoyed the option, but once the hard core chuckers kept destroying what we'd worked to have out there, it just wasn't worth the effort.

Raptor's Roost has Little Wing which is a short course overlaid over 6 holes of Wing which is a great big course.

I haven't played the Renske layout at Renaissance, but I understanding it overlaps the 3 big holes on the Gold layout. I'm not sure if any of them follow this model -- a long hole, broken into 2 (or more) shorter holes.

I haven't played the Renske layout at Renaissance, but I understanding it overlaps the 3 big holes on the Gold layout. I'm not sure if any of them follow this model -- a long hole, broken into 2 (or more) shorter holes.

Yup, I was just jumping in to include Renske as one of these. In fact, 3 holes on Renaissance Gold are broken into 8 holes on the Renske course. The par 5 holes make for three holes per, the par 4 into 2 holes.

Old thread... Are you aware of any other courses that use combo holes?

Diavolo in Raleigh NC has this in a few places. I can't remember the details but I want to say they combine 6 or 8 par 3s to make 3 or 4 par 4s

Latest posts