• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

$200 bucks to build disc collection - looking for advice

Steelhog

Hey all,

First time member/poster. Just getting back into the sport after a 5year break while I lived at a location with no DG course close by. Long story short my work offers a $200 reimbursement for fitness related items and discs are covered! So if you had $200 bucks to spend on discs - what would you buy?

I throw side arm until mid range and have always used Innova as that is what I was able to find local. Current bag holds Star Destroyer, Champ Thunderbird, Star TL, Star Maco3, and Star Aviar. Absolutely open and welcome suggestions outside Innova.

I'd get a good bag b/c it's a lot easier to find discs on the cheap than it is good bags. I'd get a (more over) stable midrange to complement the Mako3 like a Roc, Shark, Vector, EMac Truth, Verdict, Ghost, Bard, etc and maybe some more Aviars for practice.

Hey thanks guys for the suggestions already! Unfortunately bags are not covered - only discs.

Baskets covered?

If I were adding $200 worth of discs... I would probably add 5-10 putters (putting practice, form practice in field) to use for practice. I think the Mako3 and the Buzzz are good compliments of each other, both have no bead, they feel similar in the hand (to me at least) so the Buzzz could be a bit more OS than your mako... otherwise, unless you use your caviar off the tee, you could look into a driving putter, Envy, Harp, Zone, etc.

Good for you! As you are about to find out 200 bucks will go so quick! After nearly a ten year hiatus and not being accustomed to modern prices I quickly realized discs aren't cheap anymore.

Make sure you have fun and if you come across these molds I would pick them up in goldline plastic-river, truth, saint.

Saint, Comet, Verdict, Harp are all great discs that are mainstays for me. Enjoy! I think it's awesome that your employer offers that; pretty cool!

Sucks you can't get a bag. You'll find out $200 won't go as far as you think it will. You can get 13 discs at $15 a pop...not including shipping. Still none of us on DGCR would complain with $200 for some extra plastic. I'd say get backups of discs you like. Get one or two discs that are molds you'd like to test out as well.

Current bag holds Star Destroyer, Champ Thunderbird, Star TL, Star Maco3, and Star Aviar. Absolutely open and welcome suggestions outside Innova.

I don't know your arm speed, and driving range, but...

First, get a couple extra putters. I'd go with SSS or RFF Wizards. Or, if you like Aviars, get a few of those, even in DX.

I second the suggestion of a more overstable mid, like a Champion Roc3 or Lucid EMac Truth.

And while you're at it, get a couple DX Rocs, or baseline plastic Buzzzes or whatever, maybe a DX fairway driver, like a Teebird or something. It can never hurt to have a disc that is essentially disposable on dangerous shots.

I'm personally a big fan of the Sidewinder. I currently bag 2, one in StarLite (and high 150s weight) and another max weight Champion.

You might also consider getting duplicates of the discs you already have, in case they're lost.

Another reason to possibly get a number of DX discs is so you can invite other folks out to play a round and show them the game. Then you have loaner discs.

$200 divided by 18 (my guess on full retail of Star or Champ discs) is only 11 discs. So... you might be better off getting just a few high quality discs, and a larger number of baseline discs.

Jay Dub's on to a good way to spend the money if you can order online. The online Innova Pro Shop can be super cheap, with free shipping if you order over $75. Their Factory second discs are cheap to begin with and you get more discount if you get over 10 at a time. I got a factory second Destroyer from a local 'Play It Again' store and the flaw was an absolutely tiny cosmetic one. The kind of thing where after three throws, it won't matter. So, for instance, you could get 13 DX discs, 8 Star discs, and 7 Champion discs for $201 delivered.

I would get a couple baseline putters.

A more overstable mid-range disc and approach disc.

A Star or Pro Leopard, Star or Champ Teebird, Star or Champ Firebird and a Star or Champ Valkryie.

I like the idea of some DX stuff... especially putters and mids... premium plastic is over rated (well, it's great and all but baselines are under rated I should have said...)

some extra putters and Rocs... maybe a teebird or two... maybe try out some 150g weight discs too... I'm starting to experiment with them myself...

any which way, it sounds like you can't lose on this deal! Woot! to your company for throwing you some cash for this!

Since you throw a Star Destroyer I am guessing you don't mind some fast plastics. If you don't mind a surprise the Discraft misprints are a good deal a lot of times the stamps are normal. You could get a 10 pack of Z plastic misprints $70.00, A putter 5 pack $30.00, A ESP/FLX misprints 10 pack $75.00 And a X Line 5 pack $30.00 30 Discs for $205.00 and I think free shipping. (Discraft factory store) Also what J-Dub mentioned is a great deal too. Good luck have fun spending the cash.

Id go to a play it again sports or local retailer with a used selection if not required to be brand new. Also many retailers might hook you up with some kind of $200 bulk deal. If a basket would work id buy one of those for sure! Disc are easy to get and no real need for worth $200 sitting around.

Even splitting up between a nice practice basket and some discs makes the most sense.

http://proshop.innovadiscs.com/factory-second.html

The more Innova Factory 2nds you buy the bigger the discount, up to 20% off and free shipping after $75. And they are already cheaper than non Factory 2nds. With $200 you could buy a few bags full of discs. They don't have to all be the same mold so mix and and duplicate as you like.

Plus, the Pro Shop F2s include a lot of Discmania molds. If you're an Innova fan, Discmania collaborated with Innova to tweak and change exsisting Innova molds to make new discs that Innova molds for them. The PD, CD2, FD, MD3, and P2 are all phenomenal molds well worth checking out. All 5 of those listed discs are available in the Proshop Factory Seconds and I have become a big fan of what Discmania is doing by tweaking existing, proven molds to make even better discs.