• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 United States Disc Golf Championship

is paul throwing the thunderbird out there? i think its the same cpd hes been using for a while but magicweed either likes typing thunderbird or pauls actually throwing one.

Paul did an In The Bag after the first round and posted it to his YouTube channel. The PD and Krait aren't in his bag for this tournament and have been replaced by three misprint protostar Thunderbirds. The dark red/merlot disc is the most overstable one, which is what he's been throwing on a lot of longer approach shots and off the tee when he parked that downhill par 3. I think his second shot on 18 was also a Thunderbird (orange champ disc) but again it's based on his ITB video. He had also mentioned that the Thunderbird had kicked the PD out of his bag in the Thunderbird thread before the Rochester Flying Disc Open, and you can see him crush a Thunderbird on one of the videos from that tourney as well.

Edit: tbird with the link to the video above

Paul did an In The Bag after the first round and posted it to his YouTube channel. The PD and Krait aren't in his bag for this tournament and have been replaced by three misprint protostar Thunderbirds. The dark red/merlot disc is the most overstable one, which is what he's been throwing on a lot of longer approach shots and off the tee when he parked that downhill par 3. I think his second shot on 18 was also a Thunderbird (orange champ disc) but again it's based on his ITB video. He had also mentioned that the Thunderbird had kicked the PD out of his bag in the Thunderbird thread before the Rochester Flying Disc Open, and you can see him crush a Thunderbird on one of the videos from that tourney as well.

Edit: tbird with the link to the video above

Are you responsible for the mold or get money every time one's thrown?

Don't get me wrong. It's a decent mold. It's just that almost every post of yours that I've seen is gushing about it.

From everything I've read the Thunderbird is at the very least PD like. This doesn't seem like a huge switch, it seems like a natural one. Using something the slightly bit less over stable means he could use it for shots he typically wouldn't use something like a firebird (obviously more OS then a PD) for. And it also means that if it's straighter than the PD he could use it for shots where he had previously used the teebird but wants more juice.

I don't know why anyone is surprised that he can pick up a disc and dominate. He is a dominant player. I'm sure he could find shots for a DX wolf if he needed to.

Are you responsible for the mold or get money every time one's thrown?

Don't get me wrong. It's a decent mold. It's just that almost every post of yours that I've seen is gushing about it.

No incentive. I just think it's a good disc but I can see how it would come off very "fanboy" like. It's just interesting that Paul would take a brand new mold, start throwing it on critical shots and still play at a level that's at the top of the sport. Everyone keeps going back to the Prodigy switch as to why a number of people have stepped down and are no longer in contention at big tournaments. Ricky, Will and Nikko were all at or near their career high rating this time last year throwing mostly Prodigy so I don't really think the discs are hurting their games. If anything is contributing to this perceived downward slope it most likely is centered around something off the course. With that being said, I guess you can see anytime I mention Paul throwing a Thunderbird as a dig at that whole debate since it's a new mold and he's throwing with so much confidence that it's like it's been in his bag for years. However, this thread isn't the place for that conversation so I'll just focus on the tournament and how people are playing from now on. Thanks for posting the link to the ITB video as well. I never have any luck posting video links.

No incentive. I just think it's a good disc but I can see how it would come off very "fanboy" like. It's just interesting that Paul would take a brand new mold, start throwing it on critical shots and still play at a level that's at the top of the sport. Everyone keeps going back to the Prodigy switch as to why a number of people have stepped down and are no longer in contention at big tournaments. Ricky, Will and Nikko were all at or near their career high rating this time last year throwing mostly Prodigy so I don't really think the discs are hurting their games. If anything is contributing to this perceived downward slope it most likely is centered around something off the course. With that being said, I guess you can see anytime I mention Paul throwing a Thunderbird as a dig at that whole debate since it's a new mold and he's throwing with so much confidence that it's like it's been in his bag for years. However, this thread isn't the place for that conversation so I'll just focus on the tournament and how people are playing from now on. Thanks for posting the link to the ITB video as well. I never have any luck posting video links.

Switching from PD to thunderbird isn't as big as switching from innova to prodigy. PD and thunderbird are eerily similar, and the plastic blends feel identical.

Prodigy is new plastics, new putters...new everything. I get your point that it's surprising, but I also think the Thunderbird probably isn't that much different from a PD, which he has thrown for a long time.

Paige Pierce with a 63 yesterday. Looks like she is throwing Prodigy plastic just fine.

How does she make a 3 on #12? She must throw far. Or was that a throw-in?

The 3 on #18 isn't bad either, but not as hard as #12, I'm thinking.

Tweet feed says her 29 on the back was only matched by Paul and Paul.

I was going to let your post go, but since there was a response...my only thing about that is Paul is adding a disc or two at a time versus switching his whole bag. If he doesn't like a disc, he can go back to the previous "old faithful". The Prodigy guys can't. We'll never know if he would struggle after switching his whole bag or not because he stuck with Innova and seems happy there so none of this is anything but speculation.

The bottom line is that everybody playing at the top has a ton of talent. Paul just seems to have a level of consistency and the ability to thrive under pressure that his competitors don't. Perhaps the switch to new molds has killed some confidence/consistency from his competitors. Perhaps Paul's strengths are wearing them down (if you saw Ricky's face during the playoff at Worlds, he was mentally spent when Paul looked like he was out for a casual round).

I am looking forward to seeing John E and Will throw. Hopefully they can keep up and make it interesting.

Last edited:
Looks like I will be the first to say congrats to Nikko for being a stand up guy and doing the post round interview :clap:. I could not believe he stayed around to talk to the guys that almost "willed/wished" for him to implode in their commentary the whole time as it unfolded. He definitely got some coverage for his sponsors throughout the round. All cameras on Nikko, he is about to blow!

I do hope the guy can comeback to play a solid two more rounds to prove to himself that he can shake it off and move forward.

I would have NOT been professional after that round, I would have grabbed my $#&! and split, went back to the hotel and cried!:( When the next day came I would have got the hell outta dodge.

I did see the stool smash/bag dump live when it happened and laughed :doh:.

When I got to watch the whole round last night on hole #12 as he threw from the DZ and finally asked something as to, "Am I short...Long...what???" and everybody said, "short, you're short !"

Lastly this is just my view, of my opinion, of a moment in time. No matter my perceived view/opinion of how Nikko lives his life off the course, you cant help but feel bad for a fellow DG'er having a horrible day.

Since he seems to only put his name on molds he carries, does that mean it's coming off the Krait?

Lots of guys out here swap a couple molds for this course/tournament. Typically to more overstable drivers to keep it inside the ropes. I wouldn't read too much into it.

I was going to let your post go, but since there was a response...my only thing about that is Paul is adding a disc or two at a time versus switching his whole bag. If he doesn't like a disc, he can go back to the previous "old faithful". The Prodigy guys can't. We'll never know if he would struggle after switching his whole bag or not because he stuck with Innova and seems happy there so none of this is anything but speculation.

The bottom line is that everybody playing at the top has a ton of talent. Paul just seems to have a level of consistency and the ability to thrive under pressure that his competitors don't. Perhaps the switch to new molds has killed some confidence/consistency from his competitors. Perhaps Paul's strengths are wearing them down (if you saw Ricky's face during the playoff at Worlds, he was mentally spent when Paul looked like he was out for a casual round).

I am looking forward to seeing John E and Will throw. Hopefully they can keep up and make it interesting.

I agree with this.

I was impressed with Nikko yesterday, too. I think he takes more flak than he deserves. I'd love to see him turn it around today. The way he handled that interview has to make him a little more confident.