• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 European Open coverage thread/split from Tournament thread

The sheer amount of disrespect shown by a small population of keyboard warriors to people who are absolutely working their asses off 24/7 - missing time with family, loved ones, holidays, etc. to make this sport better is utterly appalling to me (and I'm not referring to myself, but to others). This is not the disc golf community that I fell in love with. These few "experts" are so far off the mark that it's completely ridiculous to me that others would lend any credibility to their words at all.

- I'm willing to bet none of you know the real history with lcgm8. I'm not going to talk about other people's business, as I've never met the man...but suffice to say nobody on this thread is remotely close to correct. Jussi even said this, but everyone is too busy pretending to know better to listen.

- Very few people on this whole website have experience in the media industry, yet everyone seems to know how to tell us to do our job. People, watching a TV does not make you an expert in production, broadcasting, or performing. I've been doing this for 10 years and I'm still learning every day and by no means consider myself elite in this industry. I'm sincerely grateful for the support that is shown, yet I laugh at people who tell me what I should be doing when they've never done it, naively assuming that I/we have never considered their approach just because we don't publicize every meeting we've had. I would never think to walk on to your job and tell you how to do it because I watched a Discovery Channel special, but somehow people lose all self awareness on the internet.

Let me clarify, that constructive feedback is always welcome, but that ends when you speak as if you know better than someone who actually has more knowledge of a situation. Tact is absolutely required. One of the coolest things about our sport is the public interaction that athletes, media guys, even CEO's have with everyone - but the people that continue to act like this will ruin it for everyone. We will become like all other sports - where the barrier will grow because a small group people don't know how to act, and trust gets broken.

- Finally, we can't please everyone, I accept that. We will not be like other channels, no matter how much you want us to. We will stick to our plan. If you think we're wrong, prove us wrong by going out and doing it better. If you know the magical way to the promised land, beat us there and show us by your actions, quit clogging a thread with drivel.

I'm done reading this thread.

Jamie
Chill out and look up the Dunning-Kruger Effect.
It is something that this entire community suffers from daily, and it's the reason why we can't have nice things.

Let me clarify, that constructive feedback is always welcome, but that ends when you speak as if you know better than someone who actually has more knowledge of a situation.

As much as this will apparently not be read by you, JT, I will give a shot at the constructive criticism anyways:

Having a post day commentary program is an excellent idea. And you are executing it pretty well. You guys are doing a lot of things right, for what you are trying to do.

But lacking preceding round coverage, or at least plentiful footage during the show, the experience comes across quite masturbatory.

Telling us how well people played without showing us just leaves the viewer with a sense of "LOL! You should have been here. It was awesome. Sucks that you were not.".
And I would assume you are aiming at the opposite.

When you asked Simon if he had ever seen KJ playing so precise, I gotta admit I let out a small "**** you, JT. We sure as hell didn't, but thanks for reminding us". Which is not a fair assessment, when held up against what you are trying to do. But it is when held up against what I want in disc golf reporting.

What you are doing could be an awesome tight dessert after a varied main course.

But without the main course, people are just left hungry wondering why the effort was not directed towards a main course first.

If you have no interest in producing the main course - that is fair. But it would have served the appraisal of your own product incredibly well, if someone else did then. The consumer does not really care who does what - they just see misprioritized effort (subjectively ofc).

Again: You are producing a good product. But it is an accessory product. And your customers does not have the main product - this time around at least.

Jamie
It is something that this entire community suffers from daily, and it's the reason why we can't have nice things.

That study makes a lot of sense. I'm in the top 1% in math, top 2% in science, and top 10% in reading and writing. I remember so many times I would barely study for a test, think I did bad, just to find out I set the curve or had the top score. Through seeing the results I know now where I will likely rank, but I think I still underestimate how hard these simple tasks (for me) are to others.

So you're saying JT suffers from illusory superiority so he can't recognize his ineptitude and take constructive feedback? This could be the case, but I think he just mistook constructive feedback of the format as a personal attack on himself and let emotions get involved. Maybe a combination of both. I think he does a solid job. I just think the format is handed down from above and isn't optimal.

As much as this will apparently not be read by you, JT, I will give a shot at the constructive criticism anyways:

Having a post day commentary program is an excellent idea. And you are executing it pretty well. You guys are doing a lot of things right, for what you are trying to do.

But lacking preceding round coverage, or at least plentiful footage during the show, the experience comes across quite masturbatory.

Telling us how well people played without showing us just leaves the viewer with a sense of "LOL! You should have been here. It was awesome. Sucks that you were not.".
And I would assume you are aiming at the opposite.

When you asked Simon if he had ever seen KJ playing so precise, I gotta admit I let out a small "**** you, JT. We sure as hell didn't, but thanks for reminding us". Which is not a fair assessment, when held up against what you are trying to do. But it is when held up against what I want in disc golf reporting.

What you are doing could be an awesome tight dessert after a varied main course.

But without the main course, people are just left hungry wondering why the effort was not directed towards a main course first.

If you have no interest in producing the main course - that is fair. But it would have served the appraisal of your own product incredibly well, if someone else did then. The consumer does not really care who does what - they just see misprioritized effort (subjectively ofc).

Again: You are producing a good product. But it is an accessory product. And your customers does not have the main product - this time around at least.
Perfect, this definitely

This couldn't have been said better by bombmk

Please read bombmk post if this at all seems like nonsense.

Well said, well said my friend.....

Did Philo actually get an ace? Can I expect video "evidence" or anyone referring to it on the tournament site? Misprint on the scorecard?

Jamie

The post was meant to re-state the point that so many of the most vocal on DGCR simply do not know what they are talking about, even though they say it as though they were experts.

The post was meant to re-state the point that so many of the most vocal on DGCR simply do not know what they are talking about, even though they say it as though they were experts.

Which hook nuts expertly demonstrated in his post in which he assumed you were talking about JTacoma. It seriously could not have been planned better.

Which hook nuts expertly demonstrated in his post in which he assumed you were talking about JTacoma. It seriously could not have been planned better.

Or did he expertly turn it back onto JTacoma knowing full well it was aimed at DGCR users?

To quote Cartman: "I love you guys...eh, screw you guys."

19780471576_5238c1db3f_z.jpg

I wonder if they're working on finishing the show despite of the crash. Complete silence in the social media right now.

EDIT: Yep, they're not done

So it seems you'll be getting English commentary? JT and Avery Jenkins at the booth (yes, he'll make it to the clubhouse before they go live).

Bizarre whining rant by JTacoma. We know it's possible to produce videos of the actual event instead of (or in addition to) people sitting around talking. Because we've seen it done, hundreds of times, by others who probably have less than his vaunted 10 years of experience. His whining about how superior he is, and how we poor laymen can't understand what goes into it behind the scenes...all that may be true, but it's just a bunch of excuses.

The obvious purpose of SpinTV is not to entertain us, but to sell something and make money. So they can do what they want (obviously), but if people don't watch, then they won't sell much, and it won't last long. Like most disc golfers, I'd rather play disc golf than watch it. And even lower on my priority list is to watch people TALK about disc golf. Good luck SpinTV. :|

So. Much. Butthurt.

Butthurt and Entitlement. Must be Awesome to know "Everything" about a subject, yet feel so Entitled to have someone else provide it for you.

Some posts in this thread make Disc Golf look as stupid as it seems to the outside world. A Stigma comes from making one.

Butthurt and Entitlement. Must be Awesome to know "Everything" about a subject, yet feel so Entitled to have someone else provide it for you.

Some posts in this thread make Disc Golf look as stupid as it seems to the outside world. A Stigma comes from making one.

well they said they dropped $50k into the media budget and we get occasional instagram videos of putts and boring post round coverage? i'll gladly chip in for live streams or mcfly, etc. videos.

If you can't take criticism when you work in the media industry then maybe you're in the wrong field.

Latest posts