• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 European Open coverage thread/split from Tournament thread

Old schoolers may remember the old DiscTV show that Brian Sullivan used to produce that aired on various cable channels about 10-12 years ago. It was the true precursor to the Clash videos, youtube channel coverage, live streaming coverage and the Emerging Sports Network program. In each episode, they'd have video coverage of a final 9/18 at a given tournament. During the round, the commentary was live (even though the show was edited) just like Terry does on Smashboxx. Brian usually corralled a player who didn't make the cut to walk with him and provide color commentary.

Bar none, of all the episodes I watched, Ken Climo providing the color during the Masters Cup final was the best I have heard. I think it was the only time he did it, because it wasn't often Climo wasn't playing those final 9s if he was at the tournament. The way he discussed disc angles to negotiate the elevation and fast greens at Dela was educational to say the least.

I would love to see/hear him in a Johnny Miller type role if miracle of miracles occur and disc golf can get full on TV coverage, PGA-style.

KC was great, but for my money, I'd rank Juliana Korver's color commentary on the 2002 USDGC DVD slightly ahead of KC's. (Des Reading's is up there as well.)

- I'm willing to bet none of you know the real history with lcgm8. I'm not going to talk about other people's business, as I've never met the man...but suffice to say nobody on this thread is remotely close to correct. Jussi even said this,

Hi guys, first time here and sorry post to replay for this kind of ranting.

Since JMeresmaa keeps topic up in Finland, why don't you Jamie share the light and tell "the real history".

I don't have to bet, I know the real history with JMeresmaa and told already 1,5 years ago I will never work with SpinTV again. And You guys knew pretty well after releasing media rules, that I will not film anything there. And yeah, my house is 10 miles from the course.

By not going to talk about and still telling about it... money talks.

^^ Don't care about the feud, just want to say that you produce some of the best, if not THE best tourney videos in disc golf. Love your work, and it's too bad that you are feeling the need to post here for the first time under these circumstances. Keep those vids coming!

^^ Don't care about the feud, just want to say that you produce some of the best, if not THE best tourney videos in disc golf. Love your work, and it's too bad that you are feeling the need to post here for the first time under these circumstances. Keep those vids coming!

Thanks, I don't care either to touch this subject, but guess I have to do it later. Right now filming $50 video production. Nothing to see but disc golf.

Hi guys, first time here and sorry post to replay for this kind of ranting.

Since JMeresmaa keeps topic up in Finland, why don't you Jamie share the light and tell "the real history".

I don't have to bet, I know the real history with JMeresmaa and told already 1,5 years ago I will never work with SpinTV again. And You guys knew pretty well after releasing media rules, that I will not film anything there. And yeah, my house is 10 miles from the course.

By not going to talk about and still telling about it... money talks.
It's pretty crappy that people got attacked for not knowing the history and assuming it was a media/money thing, and now it turns out they were probably right. I'm glad to hear part of your side, mainly because we only had speculation and SpinTV's side. Spintv shouldn't mean to spin the truth. There's usually two sides to every story, and somewhere in the middle is the truth. In this instance the truth seems pretty obvious, and maybe not so much in the middle.

Thanks, I don't care either to touch this subject, but guess I have to do it later. Right now filming $50 video production. Nothing to see but disc golf.

You literally are the pioneer of great youtube disc golf footage. Its crazy how anyone who cares about disc golf wouldn't want you on their side with a high level of experience with a deep catalogue of videos to show you know wtf you are doing.

Good luck with your future stuff and still my favorite guy doing raw DG footage. JT is a tool.

I 100% agree with this as I'm a huge fan of your work. Please keep working with the Central Coast Disc Golf team. The best combo in disc golf. Thank you lcgm8!

Lcgm8 has never called me a "keyboard warrior" and told me to shut up and be grateful for whatever coverage he provided.

It's pretty crappy that people got attacked for not knowing the history and assuming it was a media/money thing, and now it turns out they were probably right. I'm glad to hear part of your side, mainly because we only had speculation and SpinTV's side. Spintv shouldn't mean to spin the truth. There's usually two sides to every story, and somewhere in the middle is the truth. In this instance the truth seems pretty obvious, and maybe not so much in the middle.

My father says, three sides to every story, your side, my side and the truth.

Lcgm8 has never called me a "keyboard warrior" and told me to shut up and be grateful for whatever coverage he provided.

ryan-pointing-the-office.gif

Same thing I experienced. I was berated and belittled by spin TV because my opinion differed from theirs but was told I had no knowledge of the game and what it takes to do the things they are doing without actually knowing what I do for a living and the extent of my knowledge. But hey, if you think your **** don't smell, then by all means.

don't worry he just has the title of Discmania Media Connections, Sales... I guess relations is another department.

seems to be the PR guy though as well. . .

:doh::doh::doh: You guys might be reading a bit more into what JT actually said than what he actually said; cut the guy some slack, all we really did was berate SpinTV for not providing a live stream or round coverage everyday, both of which are things their channel has not done since day one. We did get final round coverage, which wasn't the best video they've ever made but is certainly at least adequate. They put a lot of time and resources into the Insider Show, and while it wasn't necessarily my cup of tea, it seems like they did a pretty good job, and definitely did the closest thing to a professional-style coverage video that we've all seen. Now, would it have been better to have that after seeing the actual rounds? Yes, but that's still the direction they chose to go.

And then rather than be courteous in expressing our collective desire for full round coverage and not liking the Insider Show, everyone decided to dump on SpinTV and tell them that all the effort/resources they put into the Insider Show was wasted. So please forgive JT for being more than slightly PO'ed at a bunch of people who just told him that something he's put a lot of time and energy into is trash :doh:

As for the SpinTV/LCGM8 controversy, it sounds like that goes back to the 2013 EO, where I'm guessing SpinTV had LCGM8 film the EO, had two of the guys from CCDG do commentary, and SpinTV put it on their channel. I could guess that goes back to recognition/money, but since I don't know the whole story, that's all the speculating I'll do.

Anyways, LCGM8, I've definitely enjoyed watching the tournament videos you make, so thank you! They're well edited and well filmed :thmbup:

SpinTV, thank you for pushing the barriers and trying to be a different YouTube channel. I might not always dig the sorts of videos y'all produce, but I do appreciate the amount of work and thought that goes into what y'all make :thmbup:

As for the rest of this thread, well :popcorn:

^blah blah blah I suck but type a lot of BS kthxbye.
:) :D :clap: ;) :rolleyes: :popcorn::sick::gross::doh::wall:

Last edited:
:doh::doh::doh: You guys might be reading a bit more into what JT actually said than what he actually said; cut the guy some slack, all we really did was berate SpinTV for not providing a live stream or round coverage everyday, both of which are things their channel has not done since day one. We did get final round coverage, which wasn't the best video they've ever made but is certainly at least adequate. They put a lot of time and resources into the Insider Show, and while it wasn't necessarily my cup of tea, it seems like they did a pretty good job, and definitely did the closest thing to a professional-style coverage video that we've all seen. Now, would it have been better to have that after seeing the actual rounds? Yes, but that's still the direction they chose to go.

And then rather than be courteous in expressing our collective desire for full round coverage and not liking the Insider Show, everyone decided to dump on SpinTV and tell them that all the effort/resources they put into the Insider Show was wasted. So please forgive JT for being more than slightly PO'ed at a bunch of people who just told him that something he's put a lot of time and energy into is trash :doh:

"Everyone"??? get a grip man, a couple of people expressed their opinon.....on a public forum.....about disc golf! But according to you, we can only discuss rainbows and unicorns. If JT can't handle the things people on here say about him, perhaps he should spend more time working on his videos and less time reading these forums.

I think the biggest problem for me is that this was a PDGA MAJOR, and the coverage we were given was 3 live holes, two cell-phone-ish aces, a handful of putting highlights, live interviews(still don't understand why this needed to be live), and final round footage with mostly one camera and usually at bad angles(and a camera guy who very possibly could've changed the winning outcome, but that's neither here nor there). And the best transitions in the disc golf filming game, but that's purely from a production nerd viewpoint :).

I'm not saying I don't appreciate the work of SpinTV and the idea to try to do something different. I do. I completely sympathise with the tediousness of video production.

It just didn't work. People saying so doesn't make them keyboard jockeys or internet arsonists. The consumers of a product showed their displeasure in the manufacturer's attempt at reinventing the wheel.

I loved the Insider Show idea, but without seeing footage of what the guests were talking about, it was an all-bread sandwich. And again, I still just can't understand why it needed to be live.

As the sole market they're targeting is disc golfers -- and for the Insider Show I'd argue only the die-hard disc golfers -- those people are the ones who are going to give you the most most experienced opinions as well as the only dissenting opinions, not the layman who's never been exposed to the game and has no idea who those people in the crazy chairs are.

Not to say that this formula can't work in the future. But I should hope they would want to hear the criticism as use it something to learn from, instead of something to agressively defend against by slinging insults.

I also don't care that it's free, because many of us would pay and have paid for great coverage.

All I hope is that SpinTV learns from this experience, simple as that. You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs.

Last edited:
It just didn't work. People saying so doesn't make them keyboard jockeys or internet arsonists. The consumers of a product showed their displeasure in the manufacturer's attempt at reinventing the wheel.

Technically speaking, they did not really reinvent the wheel. A few years ago Disc Golf Planet did the exact same thing at one of the tournaments they covered (I forget which one)... they chose to forego covering the rounds themselves and instead did a nightly live wrap up show with Crazy narrating highlights from that day and interviewing guests. The viewers hated that with a passion as I recall, so much so that DGP never tried it again and went back to doing full round coverage.

The Spin TV nightly show was considerably better than the DGP version of course, and I personally enjoyed it, but it was not really a new concept.