• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2022 MVP Open at Maple Hill (Sep 22 - Sep 25)

I noticed they added rocks w/advertising wall, just past the ditch on hole 2. Seems to be an effort to become a "roller blocker" but looks like its going to smack back a lot air shots that would skid up into C1 as well. We'll see how it plays, but seems unnecessary.

Well FPO will be fun…Cat won big last year and Kona was 2nd…….NO Europeans last year.

With Cat recently ending her cash streak and Kona's season thus far, I would assume that both will be pushing hard at Maple Hill.

Is this Simons "home course" now, he plays here alot in his youtube videos. . .so will he do well here?

Is this Simons "home course" now, he plays here alot in his youtube videos. . .so will he do well here?

Or does his familiarity with the course lead him to take more risks than he might on a course he is less familiar with?

Bottom line: when Simon's game is on point, he's tough to beat on ANY course. It would take an Eagle, Ricky, Calvin or Paul , playing at or near their best to beat a "Simon in the zone."

Maybe Dickerson could be on that short list, as well.

But players are human. Hard to play 72 holes of error free golf at Maple Hill (Gold).

Let's see how it plays out...

DGPT is pushing this "playoff" deal this season. 4 rounds makes it seem more important. Plus, why not? Smuggler's and Maple Hill are primo courses-happy to have been able to see and be able to see more of them.

They can push it I suppose, but it kinda falls short to me. Methinks DGPT is putting too much emphasis on its own championship. I get the big payday and all, but other than that, not sure the players really think much of it at this point. Could be wrong...

I noticed they added rocks w/advertising wall, just past the ditch on hole 2. Seems to be an effort to become a "roller blocker" but looks like its going to smack back a lot air shots that would skid up into C1 as well. We'll see how it plays, but seems unnecessary.
Agreed--you did not see many rollers (or birdies), so it seems it was not a high percentage shot to begin with. If someone has that strong of a roller game, give em a stroke on the field. Hopping that ditch is by no means a given either.

DGPT is pushing this "playoff" deal this season. 4 rounds makes it seem more important. Plus, why not? Smuggler's and Maple Hill are primo courses-happy to have been able to see and be able to see more of them.

Ah, that makes sense. I kept hearing that GMC was a "playoff" event but didn't know quite what that meant; had to look it up.

I agree that extra coverage at Maple Hill is a good thing for the fans. I wonder how the touring pros feel about 4 round tournaments on consecutive weekends.

They can push it I suppose, but it kinda falls short to me. Methinks DGPT is putting too much emphasis on its own championship. I get the big payday and all, but other than that, not sure the players really think much of it at this point. Could be wrong...

It falls short for me, also. A misuse of the term "playoff" really.

Here's a release from the DGPT on how this works...

DGPT Announces Update To 2022 Playoff Events & Tour Championship Qualification Procedures

August 31st, 2022: The first ever DGPT playoff events are just around the corner. As announced earlier in the year, ​​Discraft's Green Mountain Championship (GMC) and the MVP Open at Maple Hill (MVP) will serve as the first events in the inaugural DGPT postseason. These playoff events will be weighted more than Elite Series tournaments with 125 points being awarded to the winner vs the 100 points awarded at a standard Elite Series DGPT event. With more points on the line, these events will decide the final seeding going into the Tour Championship in October.

It falls short for me, also. A misuse of the term "playoff" really.

Here's a release from the DGPT on how this works...

DGPT Announces Update To 2022 Playoff Events & Tour Championship Qualification Procedures

August 31st, 2022: The first ever DGPT playoff events are just around the corner. As announced earlier in the year, ​​Discraft's Green Mountain Championship (GMC) and the MVP Open at Maple Hill (MVP) will serve as the first events in the inaugural DGPT postseason. These playoff events will be weighted more than Elite Series tournaments with 125 points being awarded to the winner vs the 100 points awarded at a standard Elite Series DGPT event. With more points on the line, these events will decide the final seeding going into the Tour Championship in October.
Yeah, it's more of a bonus round than a playoff.

⚡️ Lightning Delay ⚡️, wonder if they can get R1 done or if this will be a 3 round event

I think one of the reasons this playoff deal isn't working is that history seems to indicate that seeding doesn't have much relationship to winning the DGPT championship, though the guaranteed extra money if you lose in the first round is nice.

The thing is, the event is poised to continue to grow in importance if they handle it correctly. The DGPT can't call it a major but it's the final event of the year, it's exclusive, and has a great payout. All it's lacking is the history but so was the Master's Cup and both events take place on legendary courses. If the DGPT doesn't get too "cute" with it the DGPT Championship could catapult into the "major" tier, though not the USDGC or Worlds level.

Last edited:
Looks like a crappy day on tap, this could very well be a lost day for many players.

Friday and Saturday look better, then rain returns Sunday afternoon, probably just in time for the top cards in MPO.

Guess this favors Raincoat Ricky and the OB Umbrellas.

Looks like a crappy day on tap, this could very well be a lost day for many players.

Friday and Saturday look better, then rain returns Sunday afternoon, probably just in time for the top cards in MPO.

Guess this favors Raincoat Ricky and the OB Umbrellas.

Some players deal with crappy conditions better than others, for any number of reasons:

better attitude - lousy weather just seems to affect some people more than others
better prepared, clothing, equipment
more able to adapt their game plan

And there's always some random, uncontrollable luck element to it... like what hole you're on when someone puts their umbrella or water bottle in play. :\

Tee times vary, so not everyone is playing in the exact same conditions. Certain holes may be more affected by weather than others (footing, wind, etc), so where players are on on the course when it's at it's worst, or when it clears up... that's just the way the cookie crumbles.

Last edited:

Latest posts