• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

400-500 ft FH drives? Really?

Metal Flake Max? The only one I have thrown was the exact opposite of a max distance disc. I had a friend that can bomb close to 500' RHBH and he could maybe hit 300' with it.

1ysFjSH.jpg

First one was a fluke- was working on form and everything clicked, can't replicate it- second was a downhill forehand, I've had a few 410-425 but didn't gps it.

Metal Flake Max? The only one I have thrown was the exact opposite of a max distance disc. I had a friend that can bomb close to 500' RHBH and he could maybe hit 300' with it.

520' uphill with a Max is an absolute blast. I used to throw Champ Maxes quite often. Even on gigantic flex lines I could only get around 350' with them. Great work house driver in the wind though.

Well, I'm in Chicagoland (dupage county) so I should play a round with then sometime.

I'm in Lake County, if you ever feel like venturing to Squaw Creek in Round Lake let me know, I'd play a round with you. Give me a few days heads up though, I'm pretty busy the next few weeks.

You don't see too many of them on video because outside of distance contests, they don't exactly measure the things. A 450' drive on video probably doesn't look much different than a 325' one does.

That's a good point. If you're filming from the point of view of the thrower, it's pretty tough to judge distance.

I was thinking of how to make a video that clearly demonstrates a 400'+ throw in one shot. Maybe from the press box of a football stadium, you could film someone throwing farther than goalpost-to-goalpost...then you could at least prove that a throw is in excess of 360'.

Then again, I'm a disc golfer, not a filmmaker. That's why I can [factually] claim FH throws of at least 400' -- never post a video -- and still sleep well at night. I'm so sorry that I can't satiate the film-hungry navel gazers online. (That was sarcasm; I'm not sorry.)

Joey Lutz threw a FH over 450ft in the distance competition at the Alabama State Flying Disc Championships last year. Here is a video of the tournament, but doesn't include the distance competition. Nate Wegryn throws one a little over 400 ft at the 30 minute mark. It looks effortless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwBV8YF00_s

520' uphill with a Max is an absolute blast. I used to throw Champ Maxes quite often. Even on gigantic flex lines I could only get around 350' with them. Great work house driver in the wind though.
I used to throw a Star Max when they first came out, same boat, I doubt I broke 350' with it, but that thing never gave me any drama. That was back in the days where I used to anny flex discs that were too beefy for me too, though.

This inevitably turned into another "I can throw a country mile" thread... Anything I see about distances thrown online, I take with a grain of salt.

I've played plenty of tourneys, I've been to PDGA events, I've watched pros... However, I see SO many people claim they throw over 450' regularly when they post... I don't see it in real life. Most players throw 300'-350' if they're honest. On rare PERFECT drives, into 400'.

I have thrown several drives over 400'. I will NEVER say that I can do that as a standard.

I know of a handful of non-pros who routinely outdrive me. Honestly, 300'-350' is the max average player...

Otherwise, they can throw 400' if they don't care about ending up 45 degrees off the fairway...

I can pretty consistently get over 400' with a FH using a ESP Nuke or DGA SP Hurricane. Its more controlled then my BH, its also the throw that I have used the most. I will see if I can get a video.
Big Jerm gets the distance he gets because he's throwing understable plastic when you see someone flicking with everything they have its usually because they are trying to turn over some super overstable disc.

I play with a few people, maybe six guys that regularly put the disc out that far when required. On level ground. One does it up hill which is nuts. They are younger with very good form and when they throw it looks as if they put little effort into the throw. What's really is crazy is they generally hit the spot they are aiming to reach. Myself, well I hit 400ft twice, I measured it with a tape, that's how I know. Keep in mind I play with a league that has 100 plus players, the percentage of guys that do it is small.

Words do not really do my grip justice, so here is a picture of it, seriously, try it.
214dr1h.jpg

Gave this grip a try yesterday when doing my test drives at the soccer field. Found it to be slightly painful, but that certainly comes from trying a new grip. Didn't really see any added distance. But I'm not poo-pooing this grip. I will try it again, probably after Worlds.

Gave this grip a try yesterday when doing my test drives at the soccer field. Found it to be slightly painful, but that certainly comes from trying a new grip. Didn't really see any added distance. But I'm not poo-pooing this grip. I will try it again, probably after Worlds.

I've tried that grip and I definitely see the advantages of it, but its so much easier for me to get a clean consistent release with the 2 finger stack or pistol grip.

I am a small guy with small hands, I am sure this may play a factor lol, but my grip definitely leans towards precision more than power, but I also favor precision over power, so that makes sense. Grip is tricky, there is no definitive right one, it is all about what works for you.

I also favor precision over power, so that makes sense. Grip is tricky, there is no definitive right one, it is all about what works for you.

This! So much of this.

My FH grip is just my pointer finger inside the rim. It feels super natural for me, be it a smaller rim (zone) or fatty rim (boss). At the end of my throwing motion, I basically just point my finger in the direction I want the disc to start flying. Super simple.

I can see how using the middle finger would generate more power--it's longer, so you get a better lever to fling the disc. (Whether you have 2 parallel fingers inside the disc or the crossover/"finger lock" shown above, your main point of power application is still the tip of the middle finger.)

Maybe in the future I'll try a more "powerful" grip. At this point, my forehand drive is the only part of my game that kinda works. I'm not going to mess with that when there are so many other things to improve!

A local here in socal will smash the record if he makes it out. He's hitting close to 600 with a fh. Jacob newer is the name