• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A couple of thoughts on 5 star reviews

during a discussion on some thread Dave you said there are no 5 disc rated courses with only one review. Not any more, I guess I was the only one. Lake Lincoln State Park in Miss. It's only about 40 miles from Jackson but the jackson club do not spend any time there. I guess I am lucky that they take care of Moc Bend in Morton, so I shouldn't dog them out too much as Moc Bend is on my fav list.

Guess I have never seen well maintained ones. I think that is the only reason I like concrete...you don't have to stay on top of it like that.

Yeah, my favorite tees are fine rock dust/gravel. When they are level and well tended, they have awesome grip wet or dry... and work well for all types of footwear. Concrete often gets slick when wet, and is death when icy. I'll take well-maintained gravel over any other surface...

Though I admit that lots of gravel teepads are crap because they aren't cared for.

We may have a new leader in the clubhouse for outlandish 5 star reviews. It's for Miramar Park in Seabrook, Texas. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=606&mode=rev#11660

The reviewer has played 2 courses and he says "Best course I've ever played at." He also describes how a recent hurricane made the park easier. Hmm, I guess that means this would have been a 6 before the hurricane.

Take away this 5-star review, this course has a 2.88 rating from 8 reviewers. So it appears to be an average, run of the mill course, not the best of the best.

He just joined today... maybe he'll figure things out with a bit more time. I played Miramar for the first time this past weekend. While I can't comment on the reviewer's take that hole #4 got easier after the hurricane, I don't doubt it either. But calling that hole a "top birdie opportunity" is ridiculous. That course is littered with birdie holes, but #4 is not one of them. In two rounds none of the six MA2 guys on my card birdied that hole. I'd argue that holes #2 and #4 are probably the hardest holes on the course.

It got several other high marks. I don't get how a course with gravel tees could be a 4.5 star though.

Ugh. In 400+ rounds of golf played the gravel tees at Miramar hold claim to the only time I've fallen on a tee shot/drive. And I was not the only one either. I left some skin on that course.

We may have a new leader in the clubhouse for outlandish 5 star reviews. It's for Miramar Park in Seabrook, Texas. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=606&mode=rev#11660

The reviewer has played 2 courses and he says "Best course I've ever played at." He also describes how a recent hurricane made the park easier. Hmm, I guess that means this would have been a 6 before the hurricane.

Take away this 5-star review, this course has a 2.88 rating from 8 reviewers. So it appears to be an average, run of the mill course, not the best of the best.

Just an update (because I know you all care)

I sent a PM to the reviewer about his 5-star rating. He was really cool about it, saying that he agreed the course wasn't 5-star quality. He went ahead and changed his rating to a 2.5.

Just an update (because I know you all care)

I sent a PM to the reviewer about his 5-star rating. He was really cool about it, saying that he agreed the course wasn't 5-star quality. He went ahead and changed his rating to a 2.5.

Wow. That's almost more shocking to me than the initial 5 star review. How could a PM make you lower your review by 2.5 discs? It must have been one heck of a PM. :confused:

I hope no one PMs me about Idlewild or Flip City. :D

Wow. That's almost more shocking to me than the initial 5 star review. How could a PM make you lower your review by 2.5 discs? It must have been one heck of a PM. :confused:

I hope no one PMs me about Idlewild or Flip City. :D

lol...I'll be living in fear of a PM about my reviews now! I don't think I could take knocking 2.5 off Ewing...

I'm guessing he realized that he probably didn't have the experience to legitimately rate the course highly or something...That or he feared a disagreement and possibly being banned or something. Maybe just read the other reviews? I dunno...

Homeboyism

I'm sure this has been said several times, but I just wanted to throw my two cents in.

The biggest reason for 5 star ratings is everyone fees their favorite/home course is the best. The course where you learn how to play is always gonna seem like the best ever. It will hold a special place in their heart, regardless of the actual quality of the course. They naturally will want other people to see the course as they themselves do. So they over do it rating-wise, to try and get people to see the course and get excited.

Probably true, but I had the opposite reaction.

The first year I played, I only played Earlewood. At the time, there were only 2 other courses within 100 miles. When we first started traveling to other courses, it was exciting; I saw course features I'd never seen before, and started thinking of my familiar course as dull in comparison.

Once I'd traveled and a lot and played many courses, my opinion of Earlewood improved.

The "home course" complex is a double edged sword. Locals may rate a course higher, but if another reviewer's home course is a much different style, it will lower their opinions of it. This is the main reason I think the review system works fine here. It will get help from locals, accurate reviews from non-locals, and poor reviews from people who hate the style of play presented. Like many others have said, just read what other people say in their reviews, and draw your own conclusions from that, not just the stars.

TR ratings are in. If you click to see only TR reviews, you'll see the average score for just TRs as well as how many TR reviews there are.

TR ratings are in. If you click to see only TR reviews, you'll see the average score for just TRs as well as how many TR reviews there are.

Great feature Tim. As Dave said, good to see the difference between the homeboy bias and some of the more objective reviewers.

i have played alot of very nice courses over the years and i have yet to play one that i think deserves 5 discs..people may be a bit too lenient giving out the "5 star rating"?

Remember that people have different opinions that is why we elect people to office and we have wars. Not everyone is going to say the same thing. One person might like a course a lot more than another and he or she is entitled to their own opinion!!!

i have played alot of very nice courses over the years and i have yet to play one that i think deserves 5 discs..people may be a bit too lenient giving out the "5 star rating"?

I agree. For me to give out a "5 disc rating" the course would have to have no room for improvement, and every course that I have played so far could always use something to make the course a better. I think even Zenbot could find something that could improve Lake Casitas. :D