• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A couple of thoughts on 5 star reviews

One standard deviation from the center includes 68% of the population (if the population follows a normal distribution). Two standard deviations will include 95% of the population.

I stand by my rating of my home course until I play a better course. Given it's average 4.5 rating I don't feel I'm out of line for giving it a 5. Besides it's many merits it has a lot of "bonuses" like camping next to the course, picturesque, etc.

You want a piece of me?!?:mad:

Last edited:
I stand by my rating of my home course until I play a better course. Given it's average 4.5 rating I don't feel I'm out of line for giving it a 5. Besides it's many merits it has a lot of "bonuses" like camping next to the course, picturesque, etc.

You want a piece of me?!?:mad:

I don't think you are too out of line on that, it is definitely the best course that I have played so far as well. I gave it a 4.5. I have only played the course once, but i'm sure it could go up after I get a chance to play it a few more times. I also have only played around 40 courses, so I have a lot left before I think I can start handing out the coveted 5 disc award.

Execution... everything boils down to this... whether you are playing basketball, football or disc golf you need good execution. The problem with bad ratings can also be fixed by good execution... We just need to pick out the bad reviewers and execute them.

Of course I hope everyone knows I am just joking :)

Execution... everything boils down to this... whether you are playing basketball, football or disc golf you need good execution. The problem with bad ratings can also be fixed by good execution... We just need to pick out the bad reviewers and execute them.

I can see why you picked the avatar you did.

Back to the topic. In my own state I have noticed that the more isolated courses get little to no visits and thus little to no thumbs up thumbs downs. I have played some isolated courses that I rated high but have gotten barely a blip on the radar. I also have noticed that if you rate a course a 4.5 or a 5 it tends to get viewed more. I am guilty of this as well...if it is outside of my area I will only look at better rated courses. This reinforces my suspicion that those who rate higher tend to get more feedback. Also courses in top 10 get way more feedback as well. I really need to get a few top 10s under my belt to improve my TR status.

This reinforces my suspicion that those who rate higher tend to get more feedback. Also courses in top 10 get way more feedback as well. I really need to get a few top 10s under my belt to improve my TR status.

It's a tiny fake medal on a website guys :) I say go review the courses that have yet to be reviewed and get more info into the database. We might actually find a 5 rated course out there that noone knows about....... Go play one of the top tens because you want to play an awesome course - not because you need to boost your status :D

Ditto. Also, the more 2 star courses you review, the more cred people will give you when you say a course is 4 or 5 stars, vs just thinking you are rate inflating.

We may have a new leader in the clubhouse for outlandish 5 star reviews. It's for Miramar Park in Seabrook, Texas. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=606&mode=rev#11660

The reviewer has played 2 courses and he says "Best course I've ever played at." He also describes how a recent hurricane made the park easier. Hmm, I guess that means this would have been a 6 before the hurricane.

Take away this 5-star review, this course has a 2.88 rating from 8 reviewers. So it appears to be an average, run of the mill course, not the best of the best.

He may be a homeboy, but at least he managed to type complete setences. You have to give him that much.

It got several other high marks. I don't get how a course with gravel tees could be a 4.5 star though.

I also don't get how this course is so damn great but nobody thought to take some pics or post hole lengths...a pet peeve of mine!! You tell me how great it is, fail to describe any of the holes and do not have any photographic representation of said awesome course.

Boo!!!!

as long as they're well maintained gravel tees i wouldn't penalize a course for having them. some of the best tees i've played from have been crusher run gravel.

We may have a new leader in the clubhouse for outlandish 5 star reviews. It's for Miramar Park in Seabrook, Texas. http://www.dgcoursereview.com/reviews.php?id=606&mode=rev#11660

The reviewer has played 2 courses and he says "Best course I've ever played at." He also describes how a recent hurricane made the park easier. Hmm, I guess that means this would have been a 6 before the hurricane.

Take away this 5-star review, this course has a 2.88 rating from 8 reviewers. So it appears to be an average, run of the mill course, not the best of the best.

Exactly LOL was thinking the exact same thing.

His HBB rated 4.5 ups the average of the course from a 3 star course to a 3 star course. :confused:

.....2.88 to 3.06 - big whoop!

Rather than beat him up, a kind PM explaining things might make him change his mind so he re-rates the course AND help him come a better reviewer.

There are certain folks who always like to get a rise out of people. Mark my word on this: over time there will develop what seems from outsiders to be a clique of self-proclaimed expert reviewers here. Those types of attention seekers will be doing driveby outlandish reviews just to get a rise out of the "inner circle".

as long as they're well maintained gravel tees i wouldn't penalize a course for having them. some of the best tees i've played from have been crusher run gravel.

Guess I have never seen well maintained ones. I think that is the only reason I like concrete...you don't have to stay on top of it like that.

LOL!! I stopped watching wrestling about 15 yrs ago. Here is a funny line from Jesse "The Body" Ventura when he was co-comentator as his career was coming to an end. "Remember kids, win if you can, lose if you must, but always CHEAT!!;)

Guess I have never seen well maintained ones. I think that is the only reason I like concrete...you don't have to stay on top of it like that.

concrete makes my knees and ankles hurt by the end of the day, can't say i really like it any better than anything else.

i did t-shirts for an event years ago that were a dg rip-off of munch's "scream" similar to your avatar. :)

His HBB rated 4.5 ups the average of the course from a 3 star course to a 3 star course. :confused:

.....2.88 to 3.06 - big whoop!

Rather than beat him up, a kind PM explaining things might make him change his mind so he re-rates the course AND help him come a better reviewer.

There are certain folks who always like to get a rise out of people. Mark my word on this: over time there will develop what seems from outsiders to be a clique of self-proclaimed expert reviewers here. Those types of attention seekers will be doing driveby outlandish reviews just to get a rise out of the "inner circle".
people do change their minds, I did on my own. My 3rd or 4th review I gave a course a 5 because it was 15 holes of heavily wooded golf and 3 in the open. I love wooded golf and therefore was blown away by the course which also has decent elevation for the Louisiana Mississippi area. I have since changed it to a 4 1/2 because of hole 16 not being playable(overgrown fairway unplayable hole). So it can happen, people changing their minds as they grow as a reviewer.