• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

AHHHH LEAGUE PLAYERS!

:doh: Don't be naive you can't compare a disc golf league to parents at a little league game. Little league is played by little kids not adults. In bar leagues there are people who frequently smoke & drink during games/events in everything from softball, volleyball, bags, darts, pool ect. & most disc golf leagues are way more comparable to a bar league than parents watching their kids play little league. Also you may follow/believe in stereotypes but I try my hardest to not judge people by the color of their skin, the clothes they wear, the car they drive or the job they have but rather by how they treat me, how they treat other people & how they act.
Darts and pool are played IN A BAR. IT'S LEGAL TO DRINK IN BARS. As I said, it's illegal to to drink in public parks here. Every one has a sign that mentions this fact, as does every disc golf course I've played on public land in the Columbus area. And yet I see plenty of people drinking on the course. Pot is illegal almost everywhere, and yet I smell it all over the course. Beer in a bar, legal. Beer in a park, not. Try to have a valid point next time.

Oh, and yes I do believe in stereotypes. I believe that the sun will come up in the east, and that it will set in the west. I believe in gravity, centrifugal force, electricity, and magnetism as well. Why do I believe in these things? Because they all exist. Whether we like them or not, they are present. I don't believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, or that I'll ever get laid by the Playmate of the Month any more than I believe your claim you don't act on stereotypes at least occasionally. You may TRY not to, and I do as well. But your actions are occasionally influenced by stereotypes whether you want it to be or not, so climb down off your high horse and quit acting like your crap doesn't stink.

I don't know what softball leagues you play in, but mine usually have a case, minimum, in the dugout, if not a kegerator.
:thmbup:

Darts and pool are played IN A BAR. IT'S LEGAL TO DRINK IN BARS. As I said, it's illegal to to drink in public parks here. Every one has a sign that mentions this fact, as does every disc golf course I've played on public land in the Columbus area. And yet I see plenty of people drinking on the course. Pot is illegal almost everywhere, and yet I smell it all over the course. Beer in a bar, legal. Beer in a park, not. Try to have a valid point next time.

Oh, and yes I do believe in stereotypes. I believe that the sun will come up in the east, and that it will set in the west. I believe in gravity, centrifugal force, electricity, and magnetism as well. Why do I believe in these things? Because they all exist. Whether we like them or not, they are present. I don't believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, or that I'll ever get laid by the Playmate of the Month any more than I believe your claim you don't act on stereotypes at least occasionally. You may TRY not to, and I do as well. But your actions are occasionally influenced by stereotypes whether you want it to be or not, so climb down off your high horse and quit acting like your crap doesn't stink.

You purposely choose to ignore the fact that I included VOLLEYBALL & SOFTBALL which are in many cases played at a PUBLIC PARK. There is a baseball diamond & some volleyball courts that are in a public park down the road from my house that have bar leagues there quite often. I've seen people smoking & drinking during leagues & I'm sure people do the same thing in your area where it is illegal to do so. You also had no rebuttal for the fact that there's no way to even compare a little league game & a disc golf league. Gravity, Magnetism ect. are not a stereotypes they can be proven by science. And I never said that I never judge people by stereotypes I just TRY not to as much as I can which implies that I do do it sometimes. So stop being douche by trying to make it seem like I said I never stereotype people. So why don't you try to have a valid point next time, instead of picking apart what I said & ignoring the parts you have no defense for.

If you want to call a group that goes through the work of going through the right channels to organize an event with the course owner (Park dept) "elitist", that is fine.
Again, this is a problem. The parks department doesn't own the park, it simply MANAGES the park for the taxpayers (including those pesky chukkers) who really own the park. Yes, they're annoying. No, you can't keep them out unless you've gone through ALL the proper steps and gotten a permit to close the course.

Again, this is a problem. The parks department doesn't own the park, it simply MANAGES the park for the taxpayers (including those pesky chukkers) who really own the park. Yes, they're annoying. No, you can't keep them out unless you've gone through ALL the proper steps and gotten a permit to close the course.

I agree. And I still say Parks Departments or DPW or whomever manages the land needs to be more accommodating in these circumstances. And they usually are, if you approach them the right way.

Except for Fountain, Colorado Parks and Rec. To them I say: "Up your nose wid' a rubba hose!"

/snip

But, DG organizers being the friendly inclusive type that they are, often allow casuals on the course at the same time a league play.

I've never seen a public course 'closed' because of leagues, only people thinking it's closed because they are in the league.

:wall:

I too hate league players, so I don't go in league nights easy enough. I'm sure individually they are cool, but together leagues can be stand off ish.

Even at my local shop when the league is getting their cards etc. total d bags. All of them. Have Tuesdays ill take the other six days and a different course.

This really astounds me. Not trying to disrespect your town, but that has to be a regional thing. I'd say only 5% of the league players I've met are like that. Most league players I've met have been really great about being warm and friendly.

I don't think that's the way it works. Just because jails and schools and the CIA are owned by tax payers as you are saying, does that mean you can come and go to those places as you please? What about going to the park when they are closed? Tell the cop arresting you that he has no right to do so since the park is open.

I am not a lawyer and I do not know all the laws that govern usage of public land, but I'm sure there are park rules about disrupting organized events at the park (which league activity would classify as).

I am not a lawyer and I do not know all the laws that govern usage of public land, but I'm sure there are park rules about disrupting organized events at the park (which league activity would classify as).

It would probably only classify that way if the league was paying a fee to the park district. Disc golfers don't like to do that though, every league I've ever been involved in has just handled all the money themselves with none going to the park and no reservation fees paid. If we want to be treated like other organized sports and have a dedicated area for our weekly leagues, we have to get out of that mentality and be willing to have the park involved in running the leagues and let them take most of the money. As it is, we're just a bunch of guys illegally gambling in the park. I doubt the parks people or the police are going to be on our side when we complain to them that other people are trying to share the park.

:thmbup::hfive: I agree 100%

That's being stereotypical, that's like saying all snowboarders & skateboarders smoke...there are plenty of illegal activities happening in all sports/activities so saying that in dg "a good portion of its participants" are breaking laws is just being ignorant. I've been in quite a few leagues & there are people doing illegal things but not a majority of people by any means. I've seen more casual players do stuff like that than league competitors. Also there is no reason to tread lighter for the exact reasons I stated.

Yes, as a minority smoker, i find sterotyping to work very well.
I have a hard time believing that "all sports/activities" have the same percentage of law breakers.
I have been playing over ten yrs and have also played in many leagues and have found it to be a majority. What makes your expierence hold more water than mine? I feel its you who is being ignorant.
"And there is no reason to tread light..." and what reason was that you gave, that other activities break laws too??

I would also like to point out that my main point was the illegal gambling.

It would probably only classify that way if the league was paying a fee to the park district. Disc golfers don't like to do that though, every league I've ever been involved in has just handled all the money themselves with none going to the park and no reservation fees paid. If we want to be treated like other organized sports and have a dedicated area for our weekly leagues, we have to get out of that mentality and be willing to have the park involved in running the leagues and let them take most of the money. As it is, we're just a bunch of guys illegally gambling in the park. I doubt the parks people or the police are going to be on our side when we complain to them that other people are trying to share the park.

Im glad someone gets it :)

We never have our home course here closed for league. I would never want it that way either. Keeping it open to casuals during league is the best advertising for league that we could ever do.

Just skimming some of the last couple pages, man am I glad all the courses I play are privately owned.

Think of leagues as a party. Got a group of people hanging out over here and a few over there and here you come. You're the outsider. Now you have to deal with this part of the party for a little bit. Who knows what part of the party you're going to have to deal with, the drunks, the hippies, the quiet types, maybe even the douchebags of the party. But you are still the outsider and you want to do the same thing that the party is doing. There are way too many different mindsets right now for this interaction to go well every time.

League players need to respect the casuals and if faster let them play through. As a casual I would not mind beating the crap out of league players if they disobey. Sometimes you need to teach people a lesson.

It sounds wrong but there is a lot of reality to it. Im not implying that only the party can have fun. It takes effort by both the party and the outsider to get along.

Latest posts