• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Anode or Ion

Anode or Ion?

• Anode

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Ion

Votes: 49 32.2%
  • Both

Votes: 31 20.4%
  • Neither

Votes: 17 11.2%

• Total voters
I use both for drives and approaches but the Ion in the circle is money and the Anode outside is killer. Great combo!

That's how I used mine. The Anode is a great straight flyer like a shorter Buzz. The Ion is money inside the putting circle. I'd still be using them if I hadn't been turned on to the Vibram Ridge.

neither, i believe that both the ion and the anode are way over-rated. maybe as approach discs and short drives, but as for putting....there are far more superior putters out there. the "cool factor" doesn't make more putts go in.

I have used Birdies, Aviars, Magnets and Wizards. My Anodes feel better in the hand, and putt more predictably than any other putter I've ever used. I've never thrown an Ion, but I will keep my Anodes for a long time. I love driving with a stiff Wizard off the tee, but inside the circle, or for a touchy upshot, the Anode gets the nod.

neither, i believe that both the ion and the anode are way over-rated. maybe as approach discs and short drives, but as for putting....there are far more superior putters out there. the "cool factor" doesn't make more putts go in.

The Ion is really just a more durable Wizard and that's a fan favorite.

Please tell me what putters are superior? And exactly what makes these other putters superior to the MVP putters? Just wondering, I'd like to know if you're actually basing your ignorance on something.

And sometimes... The cool factor does make more putts go in. Trust me, my putting with MVP putters has kept me in the top 5 for our club more than anyone else when I've been playing at least half the time of every other top 5 player. I putt against blowflies, KC Aviars, Wizards, Warlocks, Super Puppies, etc. and even though I've been playing less than a third of the time you have, I'm smart enough to know there is no far superior putter. Putters are all about feel and confidence, and to say MVP putters are inferior discs, is just plain ignorant and screams of haterism.

I use both.
The differences between the two aren't huge though.
Here's how I have settled in with each disc:

Approaches and short drives:
I use medium Ions for most short-ranged control shots that curve.
They give me a really nice left to right flight when thrown RHBH and good right to left when thrown as an anhyzer flick.
I go to the Anode when I want a little more distance or a straight shot without much fade.
From what I can tell, the Anode likes to go straight and, in doing so, will compensate for any minor form flaws better than the Ion.

Putting:
Inside of 20 feet, I don't see a difference.
Outside of that, I have been committing to the Anode because it doesn't tend to fade out as early, allowing me to go straight at the basket with more confidence.
It also tends to stay up for me better and not facemask as often; the Ion has a tendency to lose altitude very quickly for me sometimes.
I'm not sure how much of this is real or perceived or whether it is the bead that alters my release slightly, causing me to miss low.
If I need a left or right hook on a putt to clear an obstacle, I'm using the Ion.

Stiffness:
I've always been more partial to the medium stiffness.
I feel like the soft deforms more for me on a pitch putt and gives me a less consistent release.
I did switch over to the softs for a brief time earlier this year and had good success.
They seemed to have a little more short range glide than the mediums when given a good release.
But, once the temperatures started to get up into the 80's and the softs got even softer, I switched back to the mediums.

I putt with an Anode and throw some drives and upshots with them too. Ions still get used for putters drives and approaches where I want a bit more fade and less glide. They compliment each other well.

I use my soft Ions for any shot I can reach with them. I tried my friends Anode when they first came out and they just did not feel right in my hand. I prefer to stick to one mold. In a putter I like a flexible disc that can putt, approach, and drive. For me that disc is the Ion. In replies I read above, several people mentioned that Ions are more responsive to form issues. I like that too.

bump-- Started with anodes now using IONs. Really like the soft neutron for drives/upshots and med proton for putts.

Ion, keepin it old school!! The extra fade on The ion keeps it in the bag. My favorite approach disc ever is be lost without he ion. The anode is great in its own right, it on the bench for now.
Wow how times have changed. I now use the anode exclusively and I don't know if the ion will come back.

yeah I just like that extra bit of stability I guess but really like them both im a little torn right now.

not the fade which is the issue just like flight of a bigger beaded putter which gives the ION the edge for me. Anode is workable but really likes to go straight and seems a little faster than an ION with the low speed fade kicking in a little later.

I voted Ion over the Anode. I like the feel of the bead for putting; it gives me a place to put my finger and allows me to situate the putter into a proper position in my hand. As far as driving with Ions, I have an older one (may have been my first or second MVP disc) that flies straight to turnover depending on the amount of stank I put on it. I also have a soft proton for slightly OS drives. The soft plastic also keeps it from flying too far off the fairway if I shank it. The Anode that I had was a good disc and I loved the way it flew, but I guess it never did it for me like the Ions do.

Overall I prefer Ions over the Anodes because you can beat Ions into a disc that flies like an Anode and the bead still gives me the hand feel that I like.

this is silly, either you like the feel of the anode or the bead on the ion.

I like Ions, but they are both amazing discs.

I like a bead on my putter, so Ion it is. They are both excellent for approaches though.

I use both. When I need/want fade I grab the ion. For strictly putting 50' inwards I trust the Anode (mostly neutron, but have soft and reg proton). For straight drives I grab the Anode. For anhyzer upshots I grab the anode. Overall anode sees 80-90% of play time vs. ion and others.

Latest posts