• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Anyone have any stories on Putters they always go back to?

StarFirebird

Banned
Just a short story.

The past 2 weeks I've been having tons of problems putting with the Pures. It gets frustrating when you have a great drive and then your 28 to 32ft from the basket and you miss a putt that should have went in.

I don't know what it is about the Hard Pures. If you hit the chains straight on or with hyzer it tends to spit out at times. Now I do put spin on my putts so maybe that is why they do this. Some days I can grip the things and others I'm having to wet my fingers just to get a grip. Lots of frustration these putters have caused me. :wall:

Now the Pures are the bomb at Driving so the Hards will find a spot for sure for driving and I'll just have extras.

Now on to the Ions.

I have 3 of the Soft Proton Ions and I always seem to gravitate back to these putters. I've tried many putters over the years,but ever since the Ions came out I always go back to these.

These things are pretty worn in as they have seen lots of use and chain slamming action. They still are pretty stable and putt how I want to putt. I just have a certain type of confidence with them.

Maybe this is my Putter and I need to just stick with them. Sounds like a good Idea to me. :thmbup::D

What are your guys stories?

was using judges since they came out. like them a lot working well improving my putting game. Made the mistake of putting the anode back in the bag and proceeded to have my best putting round of the summer. Needless to say the judge is on the bench and I am back to anodes. I think I will stick with anodes for a bit, but i know the judges are there waiting if i want to stray.

I was putting with wizards for a long time. I thought I could get a bit more out of my putt if I got a disc with some more glide on it, so I switched to judges when they came out. Lasted for a couple of months and I was digging them, but they were unforgiving with bouncing back at me on good putts. I decided to go back to my wizards and have had no problems since. I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I have been going back and forth to my beat up Legacy Clozer in Protege plastic. I used to use Clutches then I tried the Clozer because I like the feel with the bead. From there I went to Wizards for a while, but keep coming back to the Clozer. Now I'm thinking I want to try out a McPro :p As you can tell I have a serious addiction to trying out different putters.

I've tried putting with different putters from stable to undetstable & I always find myself going back to the Aviar. There is nothing quite like it IMO, but if I had to pick another mold besides it I'd take the Wizard. Its funny that ever tourney I've done very well in its b/c my putting was superb that day, all thanks to my trusty Aviar. Putting is the most important part of disc golf..drive for show putt for dough.

Started with a DX Aviar, went to a KC Aviar BB, then Med Neutron Ion, then Hard Sinus, and now back to using an Aviar(11x KC BB) and my original DX Aviar when I need an understable putter shot.

I started with the ol' DX Aviar, then tried the Soft Magnet, Ion, Anode, KCP Aviars, and a couple others. In the end, I had 8-10 putters in my bag at once and decided enough was enough, so I went out and putted several hundred putts from varying distances and decided that after all that, I liked my beadless (old smaller profile) DX Aviar. So with that in mind, I took the rest of the putters and decided which ones to keep for driving putters and narrowed that down to 4. But all I had of the old style Aviar was my 5-6/10 DX Aviar. it looked like trash. So I went and found 2 '01 CE Aviars, (both KCWO) and bought them, and now I don't putt with anything but those 2. I don't think I'll ever change again!

I was putting with wizards for a long time. I thought I could get a bit more out of my putt if I got a disc with some more glide on it, so I switched to judges when they came out. Lasted for a couple of months and I was digging them, but they were unforgiving with bouncing back at me on good putts. I decided to go back to my wizards and have had no problems since. I guess if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

This. My putting greatly improved with the judges, but that was due to the fact I got my own basket so I could practice more. However with the added glide of the judge, I noticed when I missed I would have a long come back putt. Now that Im back to putting with bricks (wizards), when I miss I have a much shorter come back putt. Now its just getting used to the lack of glide and more fade of the wizard compared to the judge.

I did all of my putting with a medium anode. Then I tried an ss wizard and started making more putts than before. But it bugged me that the anode cost twice what the wizard did. So back to anodes for a year.

I forgot all putters at home one day, and picked up a new old aviar from the club stash and was doing so well I was ready to leave my anodes in the dust, until I left that aviar in the basket on the last hole. So I went back to the anodes and I'm confident I've never putted better. I guess a whole year with one mold will help you learn it. I didn't really want to give up on anodes because I ponied up and bought ten a year ago, and they are sexy. :) now I dont have to, even though I got that aviar back lol

Last edited:
Off and on again with Anodes. Tried Pures, looked into Wizards until I realized there were 400 different varieties and you actually need to FEEL them to know, etc. I will say I switched my putting duties from regular anodes to soft anodes and I don't think I'll be leaving them any time soon. Love me some soft anodes!

Have a set of 3 huk lab og wizards I have gone in and out of rotation for like 4 years. Currently my putters.

Been putting with wizards since I started, will stick with them until I die.. I know what's good for my putting, practice and a good routine. The only time I mess up is with lack of practice or getting my routine out of sync...now if I can just find that drive that will make me throw 500....even 400

Everyone has off days. When that happens, switching putters can wake up that part of your brain that's supposed to be visualizing the flight path and feeling the putt. Switching putting styles can do the same thing. Do whatever works for as long as it works.

I went to putt tonight and had Aviars in my bag. No idea how that happened. One of them wasn't even my Aviar. If anybody put a purple Yeti in my bag, speak now or forever hold your peace.

Actually I already inked it so it's mine now!

I go back and forth between Aviars and Wizards. With both of them I get that "why did I stop throwing these" moments.

There are too many good putters though. Magnets are great. I really like APX's. Warlocks are awesome. I like the Ridge a lot. There are soooo many good putters it's hard not to switch and start using something new. I just always end up back with the Aviar or Wizard.

Or to be more specific...

This damn disc...how it is still around and still ends up in my bag I will never know. I beat the HSS out of it a long time ago, but I never have beat it flippy. It just goes straight. Been in the bag off and on since '97.

I go back and forth between Aviars and Wizards. With both of them I get that "why did I stop throwing these" moments. I just always end up back with the Aviar or Wizard.

Me to! I have tried other putters but always go back to either Wizards & Aviars. I never know which to choose. It seem like for a while I'll be on a Wizard kick, then suddenly my putting starts to be off & I switch back to Aviars (or Visa Versa). I need to stick to just one mold I know, but it is so hard to choose between my sexy tacky Wizards & my nice & hard Aviars :wall:

Started with a soft anode. After throwing it into a river on accident, and it being the time N Anodes were being released, I picked one up. 7 Anodes and 3 2nd run ions later and I'm ****ing addicted. I can honestly say I can only see Anodes as my inside-the-circle-putter for the foreseeable future. Also, Ions are perfect jump putters for me and really good off the tee as are anodes.

Latest posts