• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Aren't Rules scenerios fun, here's another and I'll add a poll

What is the call?

• The player who tossed does not get to take his throw, but the partner plays on

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • Both partners throw but a pentalty stroke is added

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A warning is given to the team and both players throw

Votes: 54 60.7%
  • 100% depends if the other partner caught the disc.

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

prerube

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Last weekend I was playing in a doubles match at a non-PDGA charity tournament and was not taking it seriously at all and I tossed my partners disc back to him before taking my throw (which is an obvious rules violation under the practice throw rule), but since we are playing doubles shouldn't that just count as my throw and my partner will still get his throw? or is it an automatic penalty stroke?

More to think about:
If I tossed it to him and the disc landed by his feet what would the call be?
If he caught the disc then a whole different scenerio applies, how would you call it?

I agree with Smokin' Joe, but I chose a poll option anyway. 83% of statistics are false.

I chose "The player who tossed does not get to take his throw, but the partner plays on".
Sure it wasn't a sanctioned event... it was an event none the less. I play in quite a few charity games, and I always play them as if they were sanctioned.

if pdga rules don't apply then what rules are you playing by?

were you on your lie when you threw his disc to him?

I chose "The player who tossed does not get to take his throw, but the partner plays on".
Sure it wasn't a sanctioned event... it was an event none the less. I play in quite a few charity games, and I always play them as if they were sanctioned.

I agree. People would still call falling putts and foot faults. Charity does not mean anarchy. I was just justifying why I would have "hypothetically ;)" done this.

Honestly, I believe that the person who tossed the disc to the other player would lose his/her turn as that would be their throw. The partner better make that putt!

It's a non-PDGA sanctioned event....who cares about rules like that. Just stick to the important rules like foot faults, holding back branches, courtesy violations....etc.

I hope that nobody called you on that and that this is a rhetorical question.

Poll wasn't up when I posted, but I chose the warning to the team and both players throw. However, if the 'rules' were announced in the player's meeting, my poll choice would change to the penalty stroke option.

Honestly, I believe that the person who tossed the disc to the other player would lose his/her turn as that would be their throw. The partner better make that putt!

It's a non-PDGA sanctioned event....who cares about rules like that. Just stick to the important rules like foot faults, holding back branches, courtesy violations....etc.

I hope that nobody called you on that and that this is a rhetorical question.

Then the question is what are important rules. I was curious about the no practicing after the 2 minute warning rule. I stopped just to be safe, but many non-PDGA players did not know that rule since it was a charity event.

I was given a friendly warning, after a few holes I pretended to do it again just to see their reaction, but they did not find it funny.

I feel that if it weren't a PDGA event, then the PDGA rules shall not apply. Were any players drinking beer?

Logically, this seems correct, but in practice it doesn't make sense. There is no other set of rules (unless you go out of your way to make rules for your own leagues/events etc) that are applicable to a disc golf tournament right now. If you aren't using basic PDGA rules, what rules are you using?

On topic, I think that would just count for your shot from that lie, but that would be pretty picky if someone called it that way. If your intent wasn't a shot at the target or a practice throw, it really shouldn't be a big deal.

What if it were a PDGA sanctioned event? Would it then be counted as my throw, or would it be an automatic penalty?

If my parnter caught it I would think it would be an automatic penalty in a PDGA tourney, but if it landed by his feet I could say "That is my shot" and my partner should be able to go.

Last edited:
I feel that if it weren't a PDGA event, then the PDGA rules shall not apply. Were any players drinking beer?

If PDGA rules do not apply, what rules do we follow? There aren't any other set of rules. (Don't even start with the snapching crap) I understand the idea, but I hear that all the time, "This isn't a PDGA event." Ok so drink your beer but, it is a tournament and there are rules of the game which just happened to be written by PDGA. What would happen if you just walked up to the basket and dropped it in and said I'll take a two? If we don't go by PDGA rules, what rules do we go by?

Yea, rules, blah...but this is rarely even punished in PDGA's I've played. It's usually just a warning for first offense, cause the person doesn't know it's wrong. Of course this is in AM's.

How far was your partner? I mean, what constitutes a throw? Anything more than handing it to them?

I thought there was a PDGA rule discussion about intention of a throw. Did that have any outcomes?

Either way if somebody wanted to call it a throw your partner would still get their shot with no penalty. If you were playing singles and somebody wanted to call it a throw you would get a stroke for the throw but no penalty. AMIRITE?

We should all stop being a bunch of jerks and teach players how to play. They may honestly not know that what they are doing is wrong. I had an opportunity present itself to teach a newer player about something similar this past Sunday at our non-sanctioned fundraiser. The player had gotten in the (bad) habit of marking his disc with a mini, then tossing the driver back to his bag before addressing the lie and taking his second shot. I pulled him aside, had a brief discussion, and he never did it again. Nobody else had to know, nobody got mad...no big deal. If someone tried to rules lawyer me with strokes, I honestly think I would hulk out with some laserbeam focus and drop a 1050 round on their face all the while snarling at them. That's how I roll.

I voted warning because I'm not a db. We are talking non sanctioned easy going tourney here.

Latest posts