• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Aren't Rules scenerios fun, here's another and I'll add a poll

What is the call?

• The player who tossed does not get to take his throw, but the partner plays on

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • Both partners throw but a pentalty stroke is added

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A warning is given to the team and both players throw

Votes: 54 60.7%
  • 100% depends if the other partner caught the disc.

Votes: 3 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Again, someone has to call it to be practice throw.

From what I understand, the reason for the practice throw rule had to do with players testing the wind in the early days even before bevel edge golf discs. Some would play catch between holes and line up with the wind to gage the effect. So these days even though it seems silly to call practice throws on these simple tosses back to your bag or returning a disc to another player, the problem for the rules folks was how do you distinguish between those types of practical tosses (i.e. back to another player or to your bag) versus ones that might help a player test the wind?

Again, someone has to call it to be practice throw.

From what I understand, the reason for the practice throw rule had to do with players testing the wind in the early days even before bevel edge golf discs. Some would play catch between holes and line up with the wind to gage the effect. So these days even though it seems silly to call practice throws on these simple tosses back to your bag or returning a disc to another player, the problem for the rules folks was how do you distinguish between those types of practical tosses (i.e. back to another player or to your bag) versus ones that might help a player test the wind?

What if you test the wind with something non-disc, like a wind sock or flag or toss a beach ball around or something, is that permissible? ;)

Here's a simple way to not get called on a practice throw for flinging a disc back to your bag: don't fling discs back to your bag.

Walk up to your lie, mark it, pick up the thrown disc, then go set your bag and thrown disc aside (unless you intend to use it again) where it will be out of the way for the next throw.

In short range situations where there's likely to be little or no run-up and you know you're using a putter, just set the thrown disc aside (or use it as your mark).

It bugs me when I see the attitude that rules enforcement makes you a jerk. I'm happy to give a friendly explanation to a new player who honestly doesn't know the rules, but if you know better it's incredibly rude to ignore rules then act like the player calling them on it is the one in the wrong.

Here's a simple way to not get called on a practice throw for flinging a disc back to your bag: don't fling discs back to your bag.

Walk up to your lie, mark it, pick up the thrown disc, then go set your bag and thrown disc aside (unless you intend to use it again) where it will be out of the way for the next throw.

In short range situations where there's likely to be little or no run-up and you know you're using a putter, just set the thrown disc aside (or use it as your mark).

This is another alternative that I've done for 4 years now

I approach my drive,
mark it,
move the driver a foot or so to the right,
throw from behind my mini,
then pick up my mini and my driver.

At no point do you need to go back to the bag for anything.

If the player appears to be making their throw from the proper lie (even if they aren't on it) then it's a real throw. Otherwise, it's a practice throw if it was more than a 2m toss regardless whether partner catches it which seems the case here. So the team gets dinged with a practice throw and both players may proceed to make their throws from the proper lie.

Assuming it was a real throw from the proper lie, but the partner caught it, doesn't that constitute intentional interference by the partner? If the partner then throws, and the team takes their lie from the partner's throw and not from the approximate lie from the other disc that was interfered with, does the team still take an intentional interference penalty? I mean, can you wipe out the intentional interference by not choosing the throw that led up to that interference? I don't think so. Otherwise, if the other team interfered with a throw, and the approximate lie form that throw was not chosen, then the other team would get away with intentionally interfering without penalty. So by logic, the interference penalty has to stick regardless of which throw is taken as the team's throw.

If you make returning the disc to your bag part of your pre-shot routine it basically buys you a few seconds to do whatever it is you do before you throw...it's kind of a win-win because you can step up to your lie, survey it, think, put mini down, put disc in bag, and at this point you have decided what you are throwing, pull out needed disc, approach lie, make shot, get congratulated.

How many of you that put your bag far away have brought up a disc to the shot thinking it would be good and decided to just go ahead and throw instead of going back and getting the right one?

Assuming it was a real throw from the proper lie, but the partner caught it, doesn't that constitute intentional interference by the partner?
Not likely to happen. No partner is going to intentionally catch or probably even be able to catch a real throw other than maybe a putt. Even if the one player was standing on the lie in this example and tossed the disc back to their partner, it is not their throw. There has to be intent to be making his throw (and his turn) for it to be a throw. You can read the "Is a Drop a Throw" in the Rules Q&A which indicates how the RC interprets when a throw is a throw versus a drop or practice.

Forgot to add that someone on another team or an official has to actually call the violation.

Should that be someTWO on another team or an official? I always thought 2 was the minimum for non-officiants...

Sorry, I feel like looking too much into things today.

Someone on the other team is speaking for both in this case. It's their "best" speaker, right? ;)

Does it count as a practice throw if it's done with a non-pdga approved disc? Like I remember watching Nikko toss a disc up waiting to putt on a DGM vid (Cubby and the other guy nearly had a heart attack) in a practice motion, kind of like a freethrow shooter that doesn't actually shoot the basketball. If he was using a regular frisbee or something Non-PDGA approved, would that technically count as a practice throw? B/c if not I could foresee some players using weighted putters prior to a long putt for some extra oomph, kind of like batters using weighted donuts on the on-deck circle.

Does it count as a practice throw if it's done with a non-pdga approved disc? Like I remember watching Nikko toss a disc up waiting to putt on a DGM vid (Cubby and the other guy nearly had a heart attack) in a practice motion, kind of like a freethrow shooter that doesn't actually shoot the basketball. If he was using a regular frisbee or something Non-PDGA approved, would that technically count as a practice throw? B/c if not I could foresee some players using weighted putters prior to a long putt for some extra oomph, kind of like batters using weighted donuts on the on-deck circle.

That's an excellent question! I'm guessing the answer will be something along the lines of being penalized for both a practice throw AND for possessing an illegal disc in tourney play (regardless of whether it's used for an actual throw). That's just a guess, but an educated one based on how goofy some of the rules clarifications can get!

I feel that if it weren't a PDGA event, then the PDGA rules shall not apply. Were any players drinking beer?

Wait now....

You're not allowed to drink a beer while playing a PDGA sanctioned tourney?

OOOPS.. Then I've violated the rules in every tournament I've ever been in.

(probably a few laws as well :D )

Wait now....
You're not allowed to drink a beer while playing a PDGA sanctioned tourney?
OOOPS.. Then I've violated the rules in every tournament I've ever been in.
(probably a few laws as well :D )

You can not do any illegal substances or consume alcohol

(8) The possession of illegal substances in
violation of Federal, State or Local laws.
(9) Excessive use of alcohol at the
tournament site.
(10) Possession of alcohol from the start
of play until the player's scorecard
is submitted. Such possession
shall result in immediate disqualification
at PDGA events sanctioned at B-Tier
or higher. The Tournament Director
may, at his sole discretion, elect to
issue a warning to the offending player
in lieu of disqualification soley at PDGA events sanctioned at C-tier
and below. If a player has been previously issued a warning for alcohol
possession at the same event, all subsequent violations shall result in
immediate disqualification.

Last edited:
You can not do any illegal substances or consume alcohol

(8) The possession of illegal substances in
violation of Federal, State or Local laws.
(9) Excessive use of alcohol at the
tournament site.
(10) Possession of alcohol from the start
of play until the player's scorecard
is submitted. Such possession
shall result in immediate disqualification
at PDGA events sanctioned at B-Tier
or higher. The Tournament Director
may, at his sole discretion, elect to
issue a warning to the offending player
in lieu of disqualification soley at PDGA events sanctioned at C-tier
and below. If a player has been previously issued a warning for alcohol
possession at the same event, all subsequent violations shall result in
immediate disqualification.

went to make a change and ran out of time. I know you did not say anything about substances, but it is a common violation people discuss.

All the tourney's I've played have been Southern Nationals. They've always been pretty relaxed.

I honestly never even thought about beer drinking being a rule breaker. It's always seemed as if pretty much everybody has a bag full of beer. Don't know how many times I've given a beer or recieved one from another player during a tourney.

I guess if I ever want to go pro, I might need to read those rules.

Yeah...PRO... Like that'll ever happen :gross:

Latest posts