• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad/Homer Course Reviews

How would you stop people from down voting a truly helpful review to get the rating thrown out because they don't agree with the rating?

I don't suppose you could. But pretty much every review that's even reasonably helpful gets more helpful than unhelpful votes. Just get rid of the reviews that members have overwhelmingly said are useless.

This site is supposed to help people find new courses, and provide info to help you decide if you should spend your time getting there. If a review can manage to get 10 votes, and 8 of them say it's unhelpful, then that review is just taking up screen space.

And chances are those two helpfulls don't really think the review is helpful, but they just agree with the rating... so it can work both ways

I don't suppose you could. But pretty much every review that's even reasonably helpful gets more helpful than unhelpful votes. Just get rid of the reviews that members have overwhelmingly said are useless.

This site is supposed to help people find new courses, and provide info to help you decide if you should spend your time getting there. If a review can manage to get 10 votes, and 8 of them say it's unhelpful, then that review is just taking up screen space.

And chances are those two helpfulls don't really think the review is helpful, but they just agree with the rating... so it can work both ways

Can we also take away voting privileges from people who give too many negative votes? Say for example someone who's given 1,000 helpful votes and 10,000 unhelpful votes?

I wouldn't recommend that. Let's just get rid of truly useless reviews.

There's a problem with the idea of a review being 'useless' versus the 'I don't what you said about course X/what you rated course X.' I'll reference the recent 3-star Flip City review, which currently stands at 3 positive & 18 negative votes.

Here's what was written:
Pros: Best thing about the course is the fact that its been around so long and that it's rated so high. The next best thing is the stacked up rocks. There is also some cool amenities and sites like the basket mowed into the grass. The place just has a cool vibe to it. Unfortunately none of that is the actual golf
Cons: As I suggested in the "pros", the actual golf isn't great. Its honestly average at best. Many holes barely have a line. Many baskets are clearly set in a position to "make it tough", but as a result just makes it plinko golf. The land and atmosphere are way too good to be let down so much by the layout. If you go expecting a course the likes of maple, idlewild, northwood, bc3, etc, you'll be extremely disappointed
Other Thoughts: Kudos to those that do the upkeep. That part of the course is 2nd to none

That looks like a helpful review. Reviewer stated the course isn't extremely tough and isn't as challenging as Maple, Idlewild, and others. He speaks highly about he course's history, ambience, and upkeep. That seems like important information. Why does he have six times as many negatives votes as positives other than the fact he only gave it a 3?

I guess I see more chance for abuse of the system with your suggestion than with the current system.

Currently one needs to log in and put their "name" on and some effort into writing a review to effect a small change in a rating. With your suggestion a number of alias email address to set up alt accounts is all that is needed to anonymously change a rating. With someone determined, no review on the site would be safe. I do think it would be fairly obvious when this is happening in most instances, but it would create lots of extra work for the site administrators to deal with it.

I don't see the review process here, as broken....so, most proposed changes are not well understood, by me. :eek:

I haven't said much about this issue because I couldn't find the words to express what I was thinking. This comment of yours sums it up well.

I haven't seen anything that I would consider 'malicious intent' in trying to influence the ratings, but I could be wrong. I also don't look at the overall rating of a course...if a course is on my map I'm going to play it regardless.

If I'm traveling and short on time, I will check the box for 'trusted reviews only'. Maybe that should be checked by default by the forum? I'm not really sure what the answer is, but censoring reviews could be a very slippery slope to navigate.

Few reviews need to be eliminated entirely. Checking for only trusted reviewers is good, but it shouldn't be checked by default because then it would be harder for new reviewers to reach trusted status. Other than that, I mildly support weighting downvoted reviews less... somehow.

I mean... damn SMFH

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=10238&mode=ci

Cons: Tees are natural (but in good shape). Only available during non-school hours. Difficult to find due to being hidden behind school building. (Drive past basketball court on left side of school building). No restrooms.

That sure sounds like a 5 disc course, eh?

...and that's before you find out its a 1350ft 9 holer...:|

4q0s3k.jpg

Some designers find it difficult to be objective about their creations.

Dude's 960 rated. Wonder how many of his rated rounds were thrown at this course...
:rolleyes:

Alan's been a big influence on disc golf in the Carolinas. Eager and Angry Beaver courses were named after him. I wouldn't have gone to bat for this course, but I'm also not as influential as he is.

Some designers find it difficult to be objective about their creations.

Dude's 960 rated. Wonder how many of his rated rounds were thrown at this course...
:rolleyes:

None.

My guess is that he's being cantankerous after the 1* review. That, or rating it for it's intended skill level.

I have more faith in your one star rating than his five star rating if that means anything. :thmbup:

Thanks. I have MUCH MORE faith in his efforts & dedication to the sport. I'm just a guy who plays when I can (4 kids limit my ability to play), and likes to write about courses.