• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Being the Rule Nazi?

. I have had to call a missed mando on a player who acted like he didn't miss it. He couldn't really argue the point though.

Must not have been popular enough......I have seen this and the guy got away with it

i would never call a rule on someone, but i would definitely get in their head and make them ruin their own game. lets be honest snitches get stitches

What's funny is that in the O.P., he took the most tactful route---he didn't call the player on the rule, he didn't give an official warning, he simply advised that down the road that improper putt is going to cause trouble.

This is the least-Naziish way of calling a rule. The violator should be grateful.

I have never called anyone in a tournament. Last tourney a guy was drinking beer, throwing his mini at the basket when he missed his putt, and demonstrating several courtesy issues.
I felt none of his actions were giving him an advantage, hurting me, or hurting the other players on my card.

Since I hear this sentiment expressed often enough --- I will add a bit of perspective. The concept of "level playing field" seems like should not be determined by each individual card (player group), instead the "field" is just that -- the WHOLE field. In particular, the WHOLE DIVISION.

I have two questions?
1. If some cards call/follow the rules and the others don't, is that fair? Is there a responsibility to the other cards in how we handle the rules on our card?

2. Will there be a WiseOne on every card that will know EXACTLY which rules to NOT call ("not bothering me", "no perceived advantage", etc) ? How does one earn the right to be said WiseOne?

Thanks,
Ron Pittman

We had 2 guys get booted from the Columbus Ice Bowl yesterday. Not sure why though. I know there was a few players complaining about ilicit drug use during the break, and just a few holes in to the second round, they were asked to leave. My guess was b/c of the talk going around at lunch, but thats just my GUESS. Not sure the exact reason. But again, a case of "rule nazi's," I suppose.

I said he was not hurting anyone on my card. but he was not hurting anyone on any other card, except maybe the card infront of us when he talked while they were driving. How is his drinking a swearing going to affect the other cards? Now if he foot faulted or played a lie wrong, I would call him.

I have been a WiseOne for a while, it's a gift and a responsibility ;)

Last edited:
Everyone should be a rule nazi. Especially during PDGA play. There should be no reason to not know/follow the rules during play, or get pissed if you get called out. You get a Rule book when you sign up, no excuses.

How does one earn the right to be said WiseOne?
It seems the answer is to have 10,000 posts on a disc golf forum. :wall:
I said he was not hurting anyone on my card. He was not hurting anyone on any other card, except maybe the card infront of us when he talked while they were driving.

If he did something that would affect the other cards I would call it

If they could hear him, they could call it. They never looked back or showed any signs they could hear him.

I've had to be the guy to tell the complaining swearer to shut the f up because noone is having a problem with anyone on the course but him because he had a fit after he threw out of turn and said I should have gone faster then, and if I wanted to play by the rules then he was going to call every rule break. another player on thw card said "then you just called yourself on your own penalty." that made him fly off the handle. I tore into him and told him he was more than welcome to go find another card to play on, if not then I don't want to hear you bitch about other people walking on a public park. he was dead silent for the rest of the round.

We had 2 guys get booted from the Columbus Ice Bowl yesterday. Not sure why though. I know there was a few players complaining about ilicit drug use during the break, and just a few holes in to the second round, they were asked to leave. My guess was b/c of the talk going around at lunch, but thats just my GUESS. Not sure the exact reason. But again, a case of "rule nazi's," I suppose.

This was the event I played yesterday! I had no idea about players getting yanked. In fact now that I remember, the same player I pointed the rule to used "ilicit drugs" about a dozen holes in. He was nice about it though, made sure every person on the card was okay with it first.

"I'm confused"

usually the guy that gets completely bent out of shape when you inform them of the rules knows better and is pissed because he got caught. i'd say as long as you're courteous and use tact when doing so, i don't see much wrong with letting them know in a tournament/league situation. I usually use something along the lines of "i read something about that in the rule book/online/whatever and was confused about what it said, hey guys, is that jump putt from 10' out actually legal?" it usually brings up a discussion about the actual rules and it doesn't make it seem like you're blatantly calling them out.

"I'm confused" is the best way IMO to breach this subject until you know the player you are playing against. EXAMPLE (learned in management 101): "Hey, (It's three o'clock) I'm confused did I schedule you in at noon?" instead of "hey douche-bag, didn't your mom wake you up on time?":D

This was the event I played yesterday! I had no idea about players getting yanked. In fact now that I remember, the same player I pointed the rule to used "ilicit drugs" about a dozen holes in. He was nice about it though, made sure every person on the card was okay with it first.

they guy I have been talking about asked if he could smoke up. I told him no one had a problem with it, but then I never slowed down my pace and he had to put it away just to keep up with us.

No such thing as a rule nazi. If you're calling real rules within the letter and spirit of the rulebook, you're not out of line. Obviously there's a reasonable way to do it, it doesn't make you any friends to be a jerk about it, but if you're getting angry because someone's calling you out on breaking rules it means you're the cheater.

And I a benighted child in Plato's proverbial cave, looking at shadows dancing on the wall and calling it 'life.'

Seriously, not my thread, but thanks all for the insights.

This fool just dropped an allegory bomb! :thmbup:

i would never call a rule on someone, but i would definitely get in their head and make them ruin their own game. lets be honest snitches get stitches

lolwut? So you won't call a rule infraction on someone, but you'll try to get in someone's head? And really? Snitches get stitches? Jeez. Why do I get the impression that you're a horrible person?

I've never called anyone on anything, but I have given people casual warnings.

Latest posts