• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best 9 Hole Course in the US

Here is a bad A** vid of hole one at Brickyard. I wish they had these for all the holes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6AN0dnqFVw

ABSOULTELY! That video is awesome. Pay attention to the tee sign - 2 permanent pads, 2 permanently installed pins, and an alternate location for each pin - LOTS OF VARIATION!

They should make these for all holes! And add them to the QR codes already on the tee signs so you can scan them with your phone and watch prior to playing!

I've been to Brickyard a few times in it's early days. They have done a ton of work out there since then; though, from a play stand point; it was good; even then.

Lambs Creek is interesting; but it may be debatable how "fair" some of those holes are. There are also a couple of throw away holes.

I agree with the lambs creek statment except I think its a really fun beer round. They got a bar there you can buy a six pack and the give you a cooler bag to walk around the course with.

The have a lighted putter course, as well as bag toss games, volley ball and a big outdoor band stand.

Its a really fun DG atmosphere.

In my scoring spreadsheet (link in my DGCR Bio) I have Brickyard rated at a 4.4 out of 5. It's almost as high as HHSC Blueberry and Gold (both 4.45)! Brickyard is easily the best niner I've played - solid design and feelgood fun!

ABSOULTELY! That video is awesome. Pay attention to the tee sign - 2 permanent pads, 2 permanently installed pins, and an alternate location for each pin - LOTS OF VARIATION!

They should make these for all holes! And add them to the QR codes already on the tee signs so you can scan them with your phone and watch prior to playing!

That would be so ****ing cool!!!

That is according to dgcr reviewers. I just thought I would post it. I haven't played most of those and I don't know any more about them other than what is on there course page.

i understand that. i simply thought, as the OP of a thread titled "best 9 hole course in the US", you, or others, might be interested in hearing opinions about how the most highly rated 9holers, according to your search criteria, were viewed by those who might be familiar with one of them. wasn't trying to flame.

That being said; what is the best 9er you have played?

fair question...maybe the 9 holer in centralia, bluebird park, or jokerst. none of the three are spectacular, or look/sound like they would hold a candle to some of the others mentioned, though.

Last edited:
i understand that. i simply thought, as the OP of a thread titled "best 9 hole course in the US", you, or others, might be interested in hearing opinions about how the most highly rated 9holers, according to your search criteria, were viewed by those who might be familiar with one of them. wasn't trying to flame.

fair question...maybe the 9 holer in centralia, bluebird park, or jokerst. none of the three are spectacular, or look/sound like they would hold a candle to some of the others mentioned, though.

I wasn't being trying to sound defecive eather just wanted a bit of both. I wanted people to tell everyone which 9er they thought was the best and also talk about the ones that the site thinks are best.

I am glad that you wrote your opinion about the reviewed list because someone may find it useful in the future.

And why not bring this one back to life? There's still good info here, and it's relevant to another current thread about rating 9 hole courses.

I'm loving the thread bumps lol.

I haven't played it, but I hear amazing things about 2 Mile Run Extension (name close to correct?) back in my hometown of Pittsburgh, the pictures I've seen and description of the layout make me really wanna play there. May have to try it when I visit family in July, but Deer Lakes definitely gets priority.

More close to my current home, I'd throw in Yellowbanks Park in Weston, WI. Great design that utilizes elevation, the river, and the trees extremely well, with great greens on every hole, along with a pair of very well laid out par fours. There are like three or four extra holes out in a wide open field after the main 9, which in my mind are just bonus holes, and don't feel like they fit, so I still consider YB a niner.

Shu Pond in Oconto, Wisconsin is a pretty awesome disc golf course. Not sure, how i would compare it to the Brickyard. As much as I would like to say the Pond wins out because it has water in play, I am not sure if i remember the Brickyard much anymore. i guess i will have to a compare them both sometime soon.

Olorin: making Tim think about adding "Necrobumper" as a new DGCR Achievements :thmbup:

Would the front 9 at Harmony Bends count? ;)

Kidding aside, the best niner I've played thus far is Mason Sports Park DGC.

from my review of Mason said:
Mason's definitely better than "good." I say that because walking back to the car, I realized I'd rather play two rounds at Mason than one round at most 3.0 courses, but wouldn't choose it over a truly excellent course... that's how I arrived at 3.5.

That said, I simply don't play many niners. I'm fortunate to live in an area with quite a few very good courses, most of which are 18+ holes, with one niner worthy of being called good: Bandemer.

As I've said many times before, when I hit the road, I'm specifically looking to play courses that are better (or at least more interesting/entertaining) than what I can play locally (as opposed to bagging as many courses as possible). That sort of cherry picking doesn't lead me to many niners. About the only times I'll play one away from home are when:

1) I happen to very close to one at the time, or...
2) Reviews indicate one might actually be worth my time (which was the case with Mason).

Last edited:
More close to my current home, I'd throw in Yellowbanks Park in Weston, WI. Great design that utilizes elevation, the river, and the trees extremely well, with great greens on every hole, along with a pair of very well laid out par fours. There are like three or four extra holes out in a wide open field after the main 9, which in my mind are just bonus holes, and don't feel like they fit, so I still consider YB a niner.

We just hit Yellowbanks a couple weeks ago. Very fun course, and I'd very much agree that it's a 9 that just happens to have a few extra baskets in a field at the end.

One great 9-hole course I have played is Prince Gallitzen Park DGC in central Pennsylvania. It was a very fun course with a couple fairly tough par 4s and a lot of fun par 3s.
Prince Gallitzin has since expanded to 18, don't know when. Dont know which of the current holes made up the miner, but parts of the current back nine are pretty nice. That said, Ive give the course a 3.25, as much of it is rather run of the mill, and feels forced in spots.

Around here (D.C.) I'd recommend Bluemont in Arlington VA.
. Bluemont is up there with Mason Sports Park IMO. All holes have multiple tees, and some feature full time longer (blue) baskets. Combined with some pretty nice woods and topography, you could easily play two rounds of nine that feel pretty different, and require quite a variety of shots.

That said, best nine hole loop I can possibly think of: Harmony Bends holes 1-8 loop back so you can play to # 18 for a convenient 9 hole loop.

That said, you should be arrested for skipping holes 9, 10, 13, 15.

That said, best nine hole loop I can possibly think of: Harmony Bends holes 1-8 loop back so you can play to # 18 for a convenient 9 hole loop.

What you give Mt Airy 1-4 14-18? Its basically a perfect loop with the pro shop there. Several awesome holes. Done it several times before. Mostly when a new disc just came out and I wanted a quicky to give it a test run.

Linbrook near Pittsburgh has got to be up there. The overall challenge and hole quality makes it special.

Linbrook piques my interest. Was hoping to meet jjtwinnova for a round there on my way home... not sure the sun will co-operate.

This is the way I always think of when I think of the potential, and ceiling, of 9 hole courses.

I could create a pretty sweet 9-hole loop on a local course. Destroy the other holes, and it's a 9-hole course. Much better than any other 9-holer I've played---most of which aren't just limited to 9 holes, but geared to an easier skill level. And yet, it couldn't possibly be as good as the 18 holer it was carved from, due to the missing holes.