• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Area of the U.S. for DG

Best Area in the U.S. for DG

• Total voters
you see this is confusing to me....do you mean that in your review you would explain why you did not enjoy the course?....I have had rounds on lots of courses that I think are great courses that I did not enjoy, I may just not have been in the mood for golf, tired or just not feeling it that day....should I base my review on those feelings? Maybe if a course was a par 64, a monsterously difficult pro caliber golf course and you had a pdga rating of 850ish and this course ate you alive, are you justified rating the course low because you are not good enough or dont have the skill level yet to fully appreciate and enjoy the course? And I apologize if that sounds accusatory, its not meant to be, I am just trying to understand what you mean by 'not enjoying the course'. thanks

Let me give an example, the Rockwall course here in the Metroplex was builit by John Houck, I HATE THIS COURSE! i hate it becuase I suck when I play it, its hard and I hate sucking. but I consider it the best course in the Metroplex, and that has nothing to do with how much I enjoy playing it. I play it to get better, the day I conquer that course will be the day I enjoy it. until then I will continue to curse Houcks name everytime i play that course :D
I play Dg to have fun ie for enjoyment. If I hate a course I am not going to play there again and why would I rate a course highly that I will not even play? I do believe that your ability could factor into enjoyment but everything about you ie your experiences etc goes into your likes and dislikes. if I ask you to review 5 flavors of Ice Cream are you going to say yhey are all weel made so you can't rate them differently/ No. you will taste them and rank accordingly to YOUR own personal taste. you may like chocolate and I may like vanilla. If I don't like chocolate I will say so and then I will not eat it.

I think that is true most of the time...but there are cases (for me, Giles Run) where it is a legitimate great course but I didn't really enjoy it that much because I don't have a big arm to bomb the huge drives and that course leans toward that...

But I do rate some courses higher than other folks do because they are awesome experiences for me...like Lucky Mud in WA, Horning's Hideout in OR and Rosedale Down Under in KS.

Since I travel so much, I like reviews that help me discern if a course will play to my strengths and likes -- for example on a review for Liberty Park in TN a couple of people listed the steep terrain and the technical straight drives and tons of trees as a con and I thought, "I have to play there".

I try to write reviews that let people judge based on their style and likes--even if they are different than mine...occassionally I'll even be honest about my very biased filters :) For me, I try to blend a little subjective (easy) with objective (harder) in my reviews...but mostly they are pretty subjective...
I have always said that the info you write about a course is way more important than the # you give. a beginner may not want to play that pro level layout and as you say one person's con may be another's pro and vice versa.

The place with the biggest and baddest elevation changes, of course you wouldn't want every hole to have huge changes, but you get my drift.

You'd love Water Works, Blue Valley and Rosedale Down Under in the Kansas City area...three great elevation courses pretty close to each other...the Kansas City area has some awesome courses

I have always said that the info you write about a course is way more important than the # you give. a beginner may not want to play that pro level layout and as you say one person's con may be another's pro and vice versa.

Well said....

If I have limited time, I shy away from the chanpionship "big arm" courses and go toward the technical, tight and wooded ones...and the reviews that are the most helpful for me describe those kinds of things...

Forgive me for being picky, but whoever made this poll doesn't understand how the South is laid out. Delaware doesn't belong in the same category as Florida, and I really don't think Kentucky belongs with "MI" (Mississippi = MS). Why did you divide the "South" into North-South oriented strips?

Forgive me for being picky, but whoever made this poll doesn't understand how the South is laid out. Delaware doesn't belong in the same category as Florida, and I really don't think Kentucky belongs with "MI" (Mississippi = MS). Why did you divide the "South" into North-South oriented strips?

I addressed that a few pages back...simple unnoticed typo with the MI/MS thing, and I organized the regions based on how the Census Bureau does it. Hope that clarifies things! :D

I addressed that a few pages back...simple unnoticed typo with the MI/MS thing, and I organized the regions based on how the Census Bureau does it. Hope that clarifies things! :D

The Census Bureau doesn't classify northern states as the South.

Latest posts