• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best driver to achieve long s-turns

cleav

Hi guys. Searched for a similar topic, but I couldn't find anything. I'm an intermediate player, fine tuning my form and I'm finally able to get some turn on my drives with certain discs. For someone without crazy arm speed, what's the best disc to achieve a long s-turn? Throwing an overstable disc on an anhyzer or something like the tern thrown flat? I've been using the sidewinder, but it's been pretty unreliable in terms of fading at the end. Thanks guys :)

depending on your power level, the Hatchet, Amp, Valkyrie (not sandstrom Stars, mid to light weight star and pro plastic) all come to mind. why dont you tell us what your throwing now, what they're doing for you and how far theyre going

Pro Leopard or if that's not enough then a DX Leopard is the easiest turn over driver I've ever thrown.

Sidewinder.

Oh, sorry, you said that wasn't working for you. It's what I use, and not only do I not have crazy arm speed, it's crazy how little arm speed I have. But in the half-dozen or so sidewinders I've used, I've found a huge difference between star and champion, and it's the max-weight star that works for me, for this shot.

But it also depends on how high the ceiling is, and how much fade at the end you need. And, of course, how hard you throw, and your release angle. And, well.....sorry to not be much help, but the answer is probably a disc that's straight for you when thrown flat, thrown with a little anhyzer at the start.

Star or Champion Roadrunner, Sidewinder, Katanas and old Orcs and Starfires. If you can find some beat drivers at PIA you should also try those.

If a sidewinder doesn't achieve this flight for you try a Mongoose from Legacy. I ordered one to be a sidewinder replacement but it was super understable and turned right into the ground.

Any disc with high speed turn and some decent low speed fade. Probably 50 or 60 different ones out there in 2016.

Slight hyzer flips will keep the turn under control and providena little more fade vs a flatter release.

I really like a slightly heavier Z Nuke SS. But it depends how hard you throw.

If you tell us a ballpark for how far you're currently throwing or what the flight looks like, that always helps.

You never did post what plastic your sidewinder was. There is a world of difference between seasoned DX and Champion. If it is a DX, I would get a lighter Champion that should pull off this shot really nice. Especially before all of the flash is off.

Other discs that have worked for me for this shot if you want to try some new companies plastic would be a heavy Lucid Fury from Latitude 64 or a light Fuzion Escape from Dynamic Discs. The plastic is really nice too.

And if you want the honest answer...You should prob throw this shot with a fairway driver. I too have a smallish arm but you would be surprised of the distance potential of Eagles, Teebirds, and Leos. I really didn't lose any distance at all when I went from Orcs and Terns to Eagles. A slightly seasoned 165-170g DX Eagle-X is amazing at this line. It will ALWAYS hook up at the end if you clean form.

Try a 155-160 DX Valkyrie and release with a slight hyzer. It will flatten out get you the long S curve you are looking for. This was my go to driver for long S turns. Now I use a mamba or a tern.

Beasts, old beat in Orcs, Freedoms, Visions, and the Archon are my personal favorites for a big S turn shot.

Don't underestimate the wornderfulness of speed 7 discs. If a sidewinder is not flying how you want i'd say disc down. Also not sure of the DX stuff, maybe with the amount of rocks on my home course they get beat in too far too fast but Star or star equivalents I like.

A beat in Teebird is super popular for a reason but you may be looking a bit more understable.
I like the Leopard3 have one in Champ but I seem to finish right of my target a bit too often. I have a Star Eagle that is beat in and super flippy but still has a little more fade than I would like on some shots. With no wind and a slight hyzer release it has a nice S turn. A Z - Zombee or a Star TL will both end fairly straight with a bit of a stretched out S turn.

My new favorite I picked up because it was listed in so many posts in the different favorite disc threads or Goto discs is a Lat64 River. From the first throw I can see why its so popular. Off the shelf thrown flat and straight it has a great S turn and glide with a very predictable amount of fade.

I'm 100 years old, well almost. And I'm blessed(?) with a noodle arm. That said, the best discs I've used for a long "S" are a Nuke, Xcal, and Starfire. For me long is 325'+ That's with my "Nolan Ryan" FH. BH its a Leopard or a Jade and its considerably shorter.

Champion Tern. Adjust weight according to your strength. Max for strong arm. And go lighter and lighter until it works for you.