• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Best short approach disc?

Personally I'd recommend your go-to disc, whatever that is.
Something else might in theory be perfect for that shot, but IMO nothing can beat throwing even more shots with the disc you already know best.
At least that's my conclusion after trying to make putters work for approach shots for half a year.

Soft Credo. Predictable hyzer. Flops and stays where it lands nearly every time.

In general, I suspect a soft putter of some sort might be the way to go.

Bingo. "A glideless, pretty overstable, very slow putter, not to stiff that doesn't skip" is essentially a Credo.

I love my chiefs for this shot - usually FH if available. Easy to range and pretty forgiving.

Rhyno. Works really well in the wind, and just as well in still air. I had been using these for approach only for ages, but I have recently gone back to them as my primary putter too, away from the McPro Aviar.

Edit- XG rhynos, flattest ones I can find.

TANK. Hyzerbomb/Millenium version of the Rhyno.

I use an understable putter like a beat beadless aviar or magnet and throw it flat or usually a little anny with a lot of snap and plenty of speed but with the tiniest reachback possible and no body power whatsoever. Stand still, perpendicular to basket so that you can draw a line through your toes to the pole. Watch Barry Schultz for an example he does something very similar for his approaches out of putting range. I learned this shot from the best approacher I've ever met, a masters player who was once 1000 rated. It is very easy and extremely consistent. The goal is to throw dead -straight- and nearly level at the center chains and it will give it a really great run, often hitting metal and sometimes going in. It's just a putt with a lot more potential power because of the sideways throwing technique. If you miss, you will usually land just a couple feet short and drop it in every time. If you miss left or right but gave it enough speed to go in then you put too much or not enough anhyzer on it, which is determined by the distance, and you'll only be 10 feet away lol. Obviously for some shots you may have to throw just a tad higher or a bit to the left of the chains. You'll be throwing them in from 100+ feet away and never flubbing an upshot again, to the bewilderment of your playing buddies lol. This is of course with little to no wind lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjh84TYT5sI Check out 33:26 for an example. You definitely don't need to give it nearly that much height though, I find it much more effective to throw them perhaps only 6 inches high of the basket.

As for putting I also wouldn't recommend using an overstable putter like a newer wizard or jump putting. Likewise to this technique try a straight to understable putter, anything like a slightly worn aviar or magnet and just throw flat, maybe -hair- of hyzer, flat and level at the chains. You don't have to use much motion, reachback, or body. Just release with more speed (with identical technique) and you'll be banging them from 80+ feet. If you use a really straight flying putter, reach -straight- back from the center chains, then release with speed on a line -dead straight- at the center chains, your putts will glide+not fade out, and track dead straight to center chains all the time regardless of distance. When I say dead straight I don't necessarily mean -completely- level like a super spinny, powerful emac putt, there is usually just a few inches of rise and fall. But you will be pissed if you give it 8 inches of upward trajectory and plenty of speed and miss high by 3 inches because you thought you might not give it enough speed lol. You won't have to worry about comebackers as you'll generally be hitting metal and/or missing just a bit short because you were focusing so much on accuracy that you only gave it 95% of the speed that it required to get there instead of 110% and hitting the pole.

Essentially I line it up like a putt, but rather than aiming for chains, I'm aiming for a particular spot in mid air. If I hit that particular spot, I know I'm going to get the flight I want to take it right into easy putting range.

If I'm just beyond normal putting range, I know I'm not going to be overshooting anything, it should settle in on the ground just a little short of the pin.

This is my exact thinking when I have an open, straight forward shot.

But I have been known to reach for a nice gummy champ spider if I am facing obstacles in my way.

OS, wont glide forever past your spot, sits when it hits. MONEY.

50-100ft: D Line Reef - Neutral point and shoot putter with enough glide to get there and enough fade to stay put.
If I wanna make a run outside 100', I'll power grip a Proline Titanic. For flick approaches, SP Breaker is shallow, forgiving, and versatile.

Lids are the best for the shot you're talking about. I don't use them, though. I use my Wizard, because it's good enough I don't want to carry a lid also. But a Polecat, Zephyr, Birdie, Rattler ... things like that excel at those shots just out of putting range. Just because they're speed 1 or 0. They get to where they're going, then they're done.

I use an X Link Medium VP. It's glideless, reliably overstable, and is floppy enough to plop down without much skipping after ground contact. Wizards for everything else.

Classic Soft Suspect. Overstable, glide-less, and sticks where it lands. I always feel like I'm cheating when I use it for touch upshots.

R-Pro Dart. Lob it up with very little power but a lot of spin and let the glide carry it.

I was on the dart for a LONG minute, but over time I began to realize that even in a light (but constant) breeze, if I missed, it would often float pretty far past the basket, or fall short and bounce on the rim, usually causing a bad roll-away. Once I switched to a disc with less glide (mcpro aviar, and now the rhyno), it took more effort to hit the chains on longer shots and in tail winds, but for me it is easier to be accurate with a harder rather than a softer effort. In a heavy headwind, I can power down my forward effort, keep about the same spin, and see nearly the same flight as if I was throwing indoors. Have you had good luck in heavy wind? How flat or domey are your darts?

This is one area I have struggled. I think my favorite short approach disc is the Suspect, especially if there is wind. I've also had good luck with a Judge, and Ion.

If it's a straight shot that I want to park, even for shorter shots, I throw the Atlas.

Medium Sinus! Overstable so not matter what it fies the same. Not very glidey so I don't have to worry about it smoking past like I sometimes do with my judges. And it always seems to just stick where it lands. If you can dial this thing in it'll be what you grab for your upshots every time.

Ridge. Nice and dead from under 100'.
I use a standstill shot, adjusting rotation for distance, slight nose up attitude.