• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best sidearm discs for heavy wind

TNDiscGolfer

Par Member
I have been getting lots of wind on the course I usually play and my current discs dont hold to well and like to flip. Whats some good distance and fairway drivers I can use? Notice what I currently use in my sig.

ape, xcal, nuke os, force, destroyer, predator, firebird, banshee, whippet.

^ all of those are good suggestions... You have 2 options in a headwind, throw something really overstable nice and flat, or throw a stable/slightly overstable disc with some hyzer, so it flips flat and still finishes with some fade...

Edit: I would add a boss and a rampage, to the list, these were my main headwind drivers when I threw solely FH...

Last edited:
I don't hear this disc getting much praise or being mentioned very often but the Lat64 Blitz is a great headwind disc. I have a GL that I put in my bag when its really windy and it does a great job and I've never had it flip on me.

You're going to hear this one a lot I think: Firebird. I also throw a Monster (a slightly faster Firebird), Ape (faster than both), or a Nuke in those situations. It really depends on which disc is working for me at that point, but the Firebird seems to be my most consistent performer.

I use a Max and a banshee. I could vote for Firebird as well

Firebird!!!!

Your sig almost gave me a siezure :|

You have all flippy molds. Your best bet is your roc or striker but both of those have a lot of turn.
Everyone is suggesting fb which is a great suggestion, but i think almost anything decently stable would give you results and possibly beat in to a good control driver for you.

A lot of great suggestions already. My current disc for this is the PD2 Chaos. Very Meaty and Long, and a much more comfortable rim than most of the faster discs out there.

Sorry for sig never really noticed how hard it is to see..getting a firebird soon...anyone got a good one for sell? Not much ink and atleast a 8 out 10 condition...

Z flick, find an opaque one. Only because they look awesome.
And depending on if you like Discraft or Innova better: A Z predator or a Champion Firebird would both work.