• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Best Town/Small City for Disc Golf

Stevens Point, WI.

Yulga is right outside town and Standing Rocks is 15 mins away. 18 holes and 33 holes respectively.

Two little 9 hole courses in town. One on the river and one next to a pond with a little elevation.

Big Eau Plaine is 15-20 mins away and is a nice 18 hole course.

Stevens Point has a state university in town, good food and a great nightlife.

I don't live there anymore. Moved after graduating, but I would definitely move back.

Eventually yes, but not for a few years.
I don't like large cities for living in. I was born in a town of 500 people, spent most of my life in a town with 10,000, and Iowa City with it's 65k+ is too big. But that's not why I started this thread; I have just seen a lot of best city/major metro area/zip code threads and realized that there are a lot of smaller, often overlooked areas with great golf.
You can get creative in Iowa and pick a place like Nevada or Newton that are far enough away from Ames or Des Moines to not really be a part of it, but still within 30-45 minutes of several great courses. I'm sure there are plenty of places like that near Cedar Falls, CR/Waterloo and Iowa City as well.

There are some really nice small towns near Madison, WI that probably work, too. I have a friend who lives in Mazomanie and it's a super nice small town, it's isolated enough from Madison to where you clearly aren't in the city, but still close enough to get there to commute if you want.

If I move, it'll be to get out of Iowa. I love it here and there some great golf but it's nearing time for a change of scenery.

But if I were to move anywhere in Iowa it would be to Urbana. Yup. Nothing there but Wildcat Bluff.

Eventually yes, but not for a few years.
I don't like large cities for living in. I was born in a town of 500 people, spent most of my life in a town with 10,000, and Iowa City with it's 65k+ is too big. But that's not why I started this thread; I have just seen a lot of best city/major metro area/zip code threads and realized that there are a lot of smaller, often overlooked areas with great golf.

Well Iowa City is the smallest town I have lived in (1992-2000). Iowa is a great place with great people, but the weather in So Cal can't be beat! There are never any days below zero - EVER!!

Morristown, TN - three 18 holers in town of less than 25K. It's less than one hour from Knoxville and its solid courses (Morningside, Victor Ashe) to the west and Harmon Hills & Warriors Path (in the Kingsport area) to the east.

Ditto. This area rocks. Would move there if I could find a decent job!

Columbus, MS has two really great courses, but I don't recommend living in Mississippi.

Evansville, Indiana may be too big for your criteria. But, they have awesome courses and great tournaments.

I'm gonna throw my hat in for Tupelo, MS---the nearest over 50K pop base is Birmingham, almost 100 mi. away.
Bremerton's a great choice, but it does have a pop base of 2 million just 7 mi. across the Sound, so its basically an armed forces bedroom community of Seattle.

Tupelo, MS does rock for courses. But, you have to get used to playing Southern Nationals tournaments and those really suck.

Newark, DE. No way to know the population but the disc golf rulz

there's no way to know the population? lot of underground cave dwellers who dont respond to the census?

Thanks guys. So Newark meets the population requirements. As for the golf - Iron Hill, White Clay Creek, Lums - all right there. Brandywine, Sedgley, Street, Md all super close. Tyler and Patapsco an easy Sunday drive away. Newark meets the small town with great dg (in town and nearby) part of this thread too.

Traverse City, Michigan gets my vote. Ludington has already been mentioned so i had to be different.

For high-quality courses in a definite small-town environment, Russellville, Arkansas has to get a mention. Pleasant View (4.05 rating) would be one of the better courses in most major metro areas, and it's only the second best course in town -- Old Post is just a gem (4.46). 14 more courses within 60 miles (and all but about 4 of those -- the Little Rock/North Little Rock courses -- are also in small-town settings). Horseshoe Canyon Ranch, another 4+ course, is less than 50 miles up Ark Hwy 7, and then there's the courses in Alma, Ft. Smith (the two Ben Geren courses), and the Fayetteville/Springdale/Rogers area courses just a bit farther away. I look forward to visiting my sister in the Russellville area these days, especially now that my brother-in-law has taken up disc golf also.

[Insert hometown here]

This is the most encouraging answer. It's great to read about so many people promoting disc golf in their communities. I also agree with the OP's assertion that not everyone appreciates big city life.

Another vote for Emporia, KS.

Has anybody mentioned Kalamazoo/Battle Creek? This website is clunky for scrolling through entire threads...

We have 250,000-ish people in the surrounding area, more than a dozen courses, and half of them are worthy of serious players IMO. Maybe that isn't such a big deal anymore with the courses popping up all over the place like mushrooms now, a good thing for sure. When I was really getting into this sport in about 1996, we'd travel more than an hour to play one course that's considered boring now...

In addition to the dozen or so right here, you don't have to go far to play stuff like Hastings, Orangeville, Albion, etc. either. We certainly live in a time of milk and honey.

^ The OP says he wants a town with less than 50,000 people :\

The wants are mildly unrealistic unfortunately.

Russellville Arkansas is a small town area with quite a few courses, some appear to be around 3.5-4.25 stars...... along with plenty of other courses within 50 miles and down. Wow. My post count is 1234. I am never posting again....... many start clapping and throwing confetti.

Latest posts