Best way beginners can gain distance?

Snapping towels is an interesting reference, for years I thought that I needed to practice as if I was snapping a towel into my brother's ass, it turns out in reality that your arm is supposed to be the towel. Who knew?

It starts from the hips up.... but have a look at Bradley Walkers more snap video.

The other one is the nod to the gods when you load your legs. A lot of people screw up by accelerating their arm too fast out of sequence. You need to unload your hips and your arm is passive. Check out some sw22 drills

Last edited:
How many pros throw max effort? Or appear to throw max effort? No expert, but I have found for me, throwing at a target yields greater distance than throwing harder.

Snapping towels is an interesting reference, for years I thought that I needed to practice as if I was snapping a towel into my brother's ass, it turns out in reality that your arm is supposed to be the towel. Who knew?

It starts from the hips up.... but have a look at Bradley Walkers more snap video.

The other one is the nod to the gods when you load your legs. A lot of people screw up by accelerating their arm too fast out of sequence. You need to unload your hips and your arm is passive. Check out some sw22 drills
I am sure I do that - arm out of sequence. But, when I try to slow the arm down, lead with the hips, I always seem to turn into a twisted up mess. Maybe when I try that, I exaggerate it too much - maybe it is such a slight change in timing that it is nearly impossible for me to find it??! I will get it - just, not quite there yet.

Communicating through the internet is hard and it is likely to misunderstand others if you are a newcomer to a topic.

The best way to get the ropes as a beginner is to ask someone else on the course for advice who can already throw decently. When you are new there are likely popping lots of fundamental problems up about the backhand as it is a complex move only few know from other sports. Maybe that is also why many beginners will develop good forehands at first, because the forehand is like throwing a ball/hitting a ball with a stick. Getting new players to turn back all the way and sling their arm forward is really difficult and might also feel really awkward for the player at first (try throwing a backhand with your offhand and you will see how unnatural throwing can feel) and it will take a lot of repetitions to get a good feel for it. A player on the course can correct your form on the fly and I think many are happy to help a new player out.

Coaching through videos or forums requires a good understanding of the throw (imo) in order to know what people are even talking about. Most of this content is aimed at players familiar with throwing already and playing a couple of years so keep that in mind.

Depending on your goals and whether it is fun for you, I cannot recommend enough reading through all the endlessly long form discussion threads on this forum. It often requires some abstract thinking (for example when golf guys are posted) and often wont make too much sense until you experience some of the concepts discussed. I can accept that a weight shift generates more power, but until I experienced it generating power that was only a truth that existed in theory for me. The various youtube coaches talk about form in less abstraction and that might help you to understand some concepts a little better. However, I never gained much from watching tons of youtube form videos and trying to apply them. It helped me understand how to throw, but not what I did wrong.

Videoing yourself is the best advice I got. Whenever I see myself on video I look on in horror by discovering what I thought I was doing and what is actually going on. Posting my videos in this forum has forced me to work through some form changes I would never have seen myself or have thought of tackling (thanks to sidewinder22 and Brychanus for making me take on these changes). I often dont see through the uses of drills or concepts, even weeks after doing them. But sometimes I find the missing link to apply them to the throw. Learning through this way is like throwing stuff at a wall and see what sticks over and over. But more things tend to stick over time. It is interesting to click through some of the form threads and follow the form progress of the people posting over there. The people giving advice really work some magic on people and you will see beginners get into really good positions over time.

Form progress is very fickle and progresses best when you work on a single thing at a time. Dont let impatience impede your progress but try and train your body to do the one thing you want to change to stick and become automatic. For me a change will at first result in a lot of shanks as everything is off and about 5 weeks in it becomes more automatic. Give yourself time when you learn something new, see it through and congratulate yourself on every change you make. And dont compare your progress to others, it is of no use.

Lastly, stay loose. This advice has also made no sense to me until this year. When it makes sense to you, you have made great progress.

Last edited:
Communicating through the internet is hard and it is likely to misunderstand others if you are a newcomer to a topic.

The best way to get the ropes as a beginner is to ask someone else on the course for advice who can already throw decently. When you are new there are likely popping lots of fundamental problems up about the backhand as it is a complex move only few know from other sports. Maybe that is also why many beginners will develop good forehands at first, because the forehand is like throwing a ball/hitting a ball with a stick. Getting new players to turn back all the way and sling their arm forward is really difficult and might also feel really awkward for the player at first (try throwing a backhand with your offhand and you will see how unnatural throwing can feel) and it will take a lot of repetitions to get a good feel for it. A player on the course can correct your form on the fly and I think many are happy to help a new player out.

Coaching through videos or forums requires a good understanding of the throw (imo) in order to know what people are even talking about. Most of this content is aimed at players familiar with throwing already and playing a couple of years so keep that in mind.

Depending on your goals and whether it is fun for you, I cannot recommend reading through all the endlessly long form discussion threads on this forum. It often requires some abstract thinking (for example when golf guys are posted) and often wont make too much sense until you experience some of the concepts discussed. I can accept that a weight shift generates more power, but until I experienced it generating power that was only a truth that existed in theory for me. The various youtube coaches talk about form in less abstraction and that might help you to understand some concepts a little better. However, I never gained much from watching tons of youtube form videos and trying to apply them. It helped me understand how to throw, but not what I did wrong.

Videoing yourself is the best advice I got. Whenever I see myself on video I look on in horror by discovering what I thought I was doing and what is actually going on. Posting my videos in this forum has forced me to work through some form changes I would never have seen myself or have thought of tackling (thanks to sidewinder22 and Brychanus for making me take on these changes). I often dont see through the uses of drills or concepts, even weeks after doing them. But sometimes I find the missing link to apply them to the throw. Learning through this way is like throwing stuff at a wall and see what sticks over and over. But more things tend to stick over time. It is interesting to click through some of the form threads and follow the form progress of the people posting over there. The people giving advice really work some magic on people and you will see beginners get into really good positions over time.

Form progress is very fickle and progresses best when you work on a single thing at a time. Dont let impatience impede your progress but try and train your body to do the one thing you want to change to stick and become automatic. For me a change will at first result in a lot of shanks as everything is off and about 5 weeks in it becomes more automatic. Give yourself time when you learn something new, see it through and congratulate yourself on every change you make. And dont compare your progress to others, it is of no use.

Lastly, stay loose. This advice has also made no sense to me until this year. When it makes sense to you, you have made great progress.
I have had my son video me 3 times so far, and my girlfriend once. Yes, especially the first time, it was crazy how much worse my form was compared to what I thought I was doing. I started out actually rounding almost every throw, and I thought for sure I was bending my elbow, bringing the disc through close to my body. Next I figured out I was starting my throw way too soon - before I landed my plant foot. I think now I struggle with transferring my leg and body power to my arm - almost certainly strong arming the disc. Pretty sure timing and letting the arm be loose are issues. I also struggle to get a flat, smooth release. For now I do video in slow motion. For me, it is much easier to see and analyze - even then I still often drag through it, frame by frame, to figure out what I am doing. I play from time to time with a guy that has played 3 years, and he drives much better than me, and it helps a little, but probably a coach would be more useful. Biggest thing I got from him is spending a little time analyzing disc numbers - turn vs fade, and releasing on angles, hyzer and anhyzer. I had been trying to throw everything straight, and not really understanding the roll of the discs' numbers enough.

Depending on your goals and whether it is fun for you, I cannot recommend reading through all the endlessly long form discussion threads on this forum. It often requires some abstract thinking (for example when golf guys are posted) and often wont make too much sense until you experience some of the concepts discussed. I can accept that a weight shift generates more power, but until I experienced it generating power that was only a truth that existed in theory for me. The various youtube coaches talk about form in less abstraction and that might help you to understand some concepts a little better. However, I never gained much from watching tons of youtube form videos and trying to apply them. It helped me understand how to throw, but not what I did wrong.

I get what you said about a change, for the better, at first being a struggle. I heard it explained, you got really good at making up for your bad form - consistent. So, tweak something, even for the better, and it is often like day one again. I saw it with the leg plant. The first time I planted first, started my throw later, I had a few amazing shots - my longest and best ever. But it was dark. Got so excited, but the next day, throwing, instead of every throw better, I found I was extremely inconsistent - all over the place. I had to get used to the change, planting first - like it was back to day one with the form change. But I knew it was right, so I kept working on it - still have to focus on it at times. Then I try to change something else for the better, but the new focus gets me rounding again, or not planting before starting my throw, again. Ugh! But, I have fun playing, and try to be patient as I wait for progress. Plus, my putting has progressed much faster, so I have that to lean on. 🙃

Depending on your goals and whether it is fun for you, I cannot recommend enough reading through all the endlessly long form discussion threads on this forum. It often requires some abstract thinking (for example when golf guys are posted) and often wont make too much sense until you experience some of the concepts discussed. I can accept that a weight shift generates more power, but until I experienced it generating power that was only a truth that existed in theory for me. The various youtube coaches talk about form in less abstraction and that might help you to understand some concepts a little better. However, I never gained much from watching tons of youtube form videos and trying to apply them. It helped me understand how to throw, but not what I did wrong.

Well, sitting in my truck (FL - hot and humid outside), with AC, and have not yet left the practice field. I threw 10 drivers at a time, mostly lighter weight discs, about 7-10 times. I focused on getting a full backwards turn and reach back, planting my foot first, then hip twitch, then shoulders, arm, and disc straight through close to my body on the throw. I had a few of my longest throws ever, mixed in with some crappy throws. Definitely got better and better - the first few rounds were horrendous. But, I practiced at a par two practice field, with three baskets and nine tees, and stayed on the longest hole the whole time - 250' with a bit of left required to get around a tree. After curving it hard left the first few times, I parked my 148g Fission Wave under the basket once, and put it 15-30' away multiple times. Heretofore, I maxed my Wave at about 225', so that was progress. Nice to see it fly so well because I have not bagged it recently, and even better because I have a second one at the house. I have 3 Pro Terns 148-149g, usually my best discs, and max at 245'. Well, they were too left and right, more than usual, but I parked a few nice ones, and had one glide out to 265' - my only throw ever over 245' - so distance progressed slightly but accuracy suffered. Hoping to improve both as I get used to this form - I think I am both getting more body turn and reach back than I used to, and getting a little hip twitch to start my throw. The combination has me a bit erratic, but pretty sure it is the start of progress. I have to keep working this, and get my son to record me Friday so I can see it. I also have a 156g Centurion, and I parked it 20' away a couple times, and while I had one throw low into the ground, and two that got right on me a ways, the rest of the time it felt consistent and longer than usual - like it was getting close to flying the way it is intended?!! The hip lead - am I right in thinking it is almost just a twitch, barely gets started, then leads into the throw? Should it be hips going from facing backwards to hips perpendicular to the basket, then throw, and they finish coming around as part of the follow through? I think when I messed with the hip lead before, I was trying to turn them too much, which may have been causing me to be a twisted mess, sometimes almost falling down. Any help appreciated!

Your shoulders might also not be turned back, which also forces you to arm a throw. Which hurts.
Yes, if you compare bad golf and disc golf mechanics, this is a common item. I have worked on this a lot over the past few months. A good, straight reach-back has the benefit of forcing your shoulders to turn.
Hips! You gotta swivel them. No swivel? No real power.
Exactly, you'll be able to throw pretty far with just these two tips. Combining a good shoulder turn with a hip turn will probably put you over 200' even without a run-up.
Practice the x-step solo, like you would when you learn the steps to a dance. Just go through the motions, so you can create muscle memory. Envision it.
Yes, very well said. Muscle memory takes perhaps two thousand repetitions. You probably should just work on the mechanics of your throw from a standing position at 50-75% power until you "program" your muscles to throw well and then incorporate a run-up. With great footwork and lousy upper body, you'll still be throwing around 150' but good footwork can add significantly to the power of solid mechanics.

Throw from the tallest building around
My short drives is my weak link. I have been playing about 3 months, so all areas still need work…. I usually play multiple rounds a week, do multiple field days a week, as well as some back yard putting (broke down and bought me an MVP Black Hole Pro for $150 on Amazon - worth it!). Addicted - watch videos or read improvement discussions multiple times a day! Even more addicted to buying discs - up to 40 already! I am finally breaking 200 feet sometimes - my longest drives right now tend to be Lat 64 Diamond or River - but I average 175-200 feet. Wondering, what are the most common issues that keep beginners stuck at 200 foot drives? I try to implement tips on improving form, but I can't get that "snap" I read about. Any help appreciated! -ChrisinFL
Update: Wow, that seems like a long time ago! My longest disc recently was several 148-150g Terns, but just today my 148g Fission Wave has moved up to the same distance, but is a bit more reliable. Distance: I was recently maxing at 245', but making another small jump forward right now, and getting the occasional 265' max! I was not getting enough turn and reach back, and I was leaving my feet too much in a straight line. Now I am taking a wider (side to side) final step on my x-step, which is helping me turn and reach back better (along with more deliberate reach back), getting more body rotation, and allowing my hip twitch to have better timing. Stepping straighter like I was, the final step was actually turning my hips to perpendicular before my throw, and my hip power was completely lost. My form is still terrible, but this is progress!!! I can't wait to play with my son Friday, and get some video of the new form, and see what it looks like - and figure out, besides practicing and getting used to this, what I need to do to get better!

Update: Wow, that seems like a long time ago! My longest disc recently was several 148-150g Terns, but just today my 148g Fission Wave has moved up to the same distance, but is a bit more reliable. Distance: I was recently maxing at 245', but making another small jump forward right now, and getting the occasional 265' max! I was not getting enough turn and reach back, and I was leaving my feet too much in a straight line. Now I am taking a wider (side to side) final step on my x-step, which is helping me turn and reach back better (along with more deliberate reach back), getting more body rotation, and allowing my hip twitch to have better timing. Stepping straighter like I was, the final step was actually turning my hips to perpendicular before my throw, and my hip power was completely lost. My form is still terrible, but this is progress!!! I can't wait to play with my son Friday, and get some video of the new form, and see what it looks like - and figure out, besides practicing and getting used to this, what I need to do to get better!
Oh, and my addiction is full blown. I already have over 100 discs! Ugh. It has to slow down - there are only so many discs out there to buy, right?!

I concur! Making great progress, and my process for that is: watch/study videos to learn what throwing correctly looks like, get video of my throws, break it down frame by frame, find what I am doing wrong, and fix it.
Update: So far I fixed rounding, I use an x-step and I fixed starting my throw before planting, widened/staggered my final step stance (which fixed my hips turning too soon, and not transferring any power to my throw), and am now working on a longer reach back, making sure I start my throw with my hips, and allow my arm to be loose, be dragged into the power pocket by my body, and fire fast late in my throw. The new staggered stance is messing a little with my aim, but overall, the changes have resulted in amazing progress! I went from max distance of 200', to 225', to 245', and now a rare throw out to 265', maybe even 275'. I have also become a lot more consistent! I played 4 rounds today at the beginner friendly local course, 9 holes, and I shot 1 over par, par, 2 over par, and 1 under par! The par tied my best ever, and the 1 under par is a new personal best. On 2-3 holes I had new personal distance best tee shots, with some breaking other recent personal distance bests! I have said all along the DG journey to improvement is two steps forward, one back, and it has been, but right now I am definitely making two steps forward! I appreciate all of the feedback, help, and encouragement I have got here! Also, spent months playing mostly throw two discs, play from the best one, but these are scores from regular DG - one throw at a time, every throw counts! I still love the two disc, throw from best disc rounds as a great tool - I get more throws, more practice for less overall walking, fix things I do wrong on the first throw, and gain confidence from the lower overall scores.

The new staggered stance is messing a little with my aim, but overall, the changes have resulted in amazing progress! I went from max distance of 200', to 225', to 245', and now a rare throw out to 265', maybe even 275'. I have also become a lot more consistent!

That's great news. I think you've passed me in distance. I'm still happy averaging around 240. Yeah, I occasionally hit 300 when I get a good flip, maybe a little wind help, and a 20 foot bounce, but I figure 240 generally gives me a shot at par and an occasional birdie on most holes at even the most brutal courses (yes Idlewild, that's you I'm talking about).

One modification that has helped me with accuracy is not doing a full "look back" on the reach back, but keeping my head at 90 degrees to my aiming point through the run up. I can still get a full shoulder turn and reach back, but I get far fewer misfires. It could be a strictly "me" thing as I've always had some body awareness, spacial, and balance issues so less head movement seems to bring me back to a reasonable amount of accuracy while still keeping approximately the same distance.

KUTGW!
Jeff

Last edited:
I understand the head thing. On most holes, I turn my head back fully, but one particular hole has a tight gap between two trees, maybe 50' from the tee, and I hit one of those trees so often, especially since I started finishing with the staggered step, that I find myself trying to keep my head forward longer, lining up my throw more before turning my head, and wondering if I should even switch to skipping the x-step on this hole, so I can focus more on getting my shot lined up. Thing is, there is also woods along the right side, and the hole plays out about 200', then doglegs right between more trees, and the longer out you get that tee shot, the better it is for your second shot, so… IDK! So far, just been hoping that more cementing of form, more work with the new improvements, and my aim will get better soon. Just taking it round by round when it comes to that hole. Distance - I have never got further than 265-275' max, but I am beginning to get 225-250' a lot easier, more consistently, and the 265-275' is becoming less rare. Really enjoying the progress right now - seeing more distance, more personal distance bests on multiple holes, and more consistency - sure is a fun part of the journey!

How far do you throw? I think that is pertinent to the discussion.I'm 60 and top out at about 360' after 4 years of play. The double disc workouts got me from 260 to where I am now really quickly

Fastest way to learn is to get to know the feel of the form which a heavier object is exceptional at illustrating. If you can't figure out how to throw a heavier object without hurting yourself, chances are you won't ever learn to throw a disc properly either.
I have considered throwing regular hammers, but somehow never get around to it.

SW responding to this somewhat dated thread was the nudge I needed to throw a hammer some. I had two old hammers, but my girlfriend 'borrowed' one, and I didn't want to throw my good one, so I made due with one hammer. First thing I learned helped with retrieving after every throw - they don't go as far as discs! Whew. They also fly much straighter. I used a regular claw hammer - my back yard has never had so many divots! As far as learning about disc golf by throwing something heavy, my learning was not as concrete. To be fair, I took two lessons in the past 1-1.5 months, and I am still cementing a lot of changes, so I was focused on my form a lot, and didn't experiment much. Form changes I was trying to use every throw: stand still throw, power grip changed, wrist stays firm (no bend/flick), changed stance, shoulders back and chest out, be upright, and throw level. Then, two changes I kind of missed, but added at the end, and they seemed to add maybe 10-20 feet: hip swivel, and do not let go of the hammer. The hip swivel still feels a bit wonky to me, but it is coming along. Keep my grip tight - don't release the disc but let it snap out - fighting with this one. My subconscious mind seems programmed to release, so getting it to stop is an ongoing battle! But, I say not concrete results because it was a small sample size. I did two 45 minute putting sessions first, and was getting tired, so I only threw maybe 25 times the first way, and 10 more with hip swivel and trying not to release the hammer (but I was more tired, and threw the hammer a little further). I may try more another day.

FYI, I have been playing one year this month, and normal max distance is 250', a rare one to 275', and very rare maybe 290' (and likely somewhat right of my target). With two recent lessons with a local coach, I am working on many changes, and hopefully getting them cemented will get me more distance, accuracy, and consistency. Early results are slow but noticeable progress that seems promising.