• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bite Disc Golf Shoes

Has anyone bought or tried these out? I'm curious about buying a pair, but I'd like to get some input from other disc golfers.

The reviews don't look very promising on the dick's site.

I tend to play in low-top puma's or other regular sneakers and never had any problems where I was wishing for a burly disc golf shoe.

That's not too surprising. I don't think there was a real need for a disc golf specific shoe in the first place.

Yes and no.

Disc golf puts a weird combination of stress on your lower body due to the X-step. That twisting motion is hard on your knees, feet, back, etc. Good footwear is important to help you maintain your balance in the pivot. It also needs to give you good traction on a variety of surfaces (concrete-grass-dirt) and needs to be water-resistant. A properly designed shoe that could accomplish all these things AND provide a good cushion for your joints is probably very important, especially to the Pro golfers.

That being said, there are just not enough of us to justify trying to make shoes for us. The volume will be woefully low, resulting in a very high per pair cost.

There was a brand of shoes back in the late 80's or early 90's-Tanel was the brand name, I think-that had a weird concentric circular cleat design at the ball and the heel of the foot that Sam Ferrans endorsed that was designed for all "disc sports," so the idea of making a disc golf shoe has been around for a long time. I think it will be far in the future before disc golf has enough of a following to support the idea, if ever.

Foot wear

I just bought some "HI TEC" hiking boots at Academy Sports And Outdoors for $29. They have great traction, and are very, comfortable. I have played in them twice so far, and they are great. I thinking some sort of hiking shoe is they way to go for disc golf.

I used to play in some old puma turf trainers that I loved. Now I play in some of the Saucony Trail running shoes and their grip is good...but they get soaked and stay that way.

Last edited:
Scotchgard

...but they get soaked and stay that way.
Try some Scotchgard Water Repellent.

It also works great on your disc golf bag! If I'm going to play a tourney and the forecast is for rain I'll spray a quick coat on the bottom of my bag the day before just for extra protection.

ERic

Bite bites, not worth the cost

I got excited when I first read about the Bite shoe. I went out and a pair for my elf and my wife. Within a month, mine were blown out (and repaired) three times. The waterproofing had vanished after the first week. There is one hole on my home course that is "swampy" to put it mildly. After 4-5 rounds on that hole, my feet were soaked. Spray Silicon(Camp Dry) helped for a little while, but I gave up on 'em and bought a pair of Coleman hikers for 1/2 the cost and haven't had a problem yet 8 months running.

I went out and a pair for my elf and my wife.

It must be cool to have your own personal elf! :) Kinda like Santa. I guess the shoes came in a size small enough for him to wear. :D

I wear Merrells for all seasons. Waterproof full leather wrap chameleons and then the gore-tex chameleons for drier courses. Despite being the same line the two are very different. I won't play in the spring without waterproof. Merrell is quick to replace a shoe if you don't get substantial wear out of them too. They are higher end and somewhat expensive but hold up well. My waterproof shoes sit in the garage covered with muck all year long. I just knock them off and put em on and head out. Big problem for me is size, wear a 15. Most Merrells come in that size. Vibram sole is the way to go with any shoe you choose. On another note, Merrell makes sandals with a gray antibacterial liner that prevents odor. Have a pair over a year old and they still don't stink. Can't say the same for my Born or Docs, these shoes are yuk after a day in the sun.

I was at the ball golf shop yesterday, they had golf shoes that were made by bite. Looks like bite is tryin to cross over to open territory. Like previously mentioned I don't think the demand is there yet but maybe in the next few years.

Never seen the Bite shoes up close, or know anyone who wears them, however, have seen them in Magazines, and they look all the world like Merrell shoes. I went to wearing Merrells about 3-4 years ago, and will wear nothing else for Disc golf now. They are a bit pricier, but found a "discount store" that carries them <about 85-90$>, But they are comfortable, long lasting, and if you spray them with scotchgard before you wear them, they are almost waterproof.

Looks like the Bite Torque DG line has been picked up by Crocs. The Torque DG mentions disc golf specifically in the product description. Not sure if these are the same shoes or not.

Torque DG disc golf shoe/sandal

I was a Crocs hater for a long time, but a buddy had me try a pair and I was totally surprised by how comfortable they are. Plenty of non-obnoxious styles nowadays to choose from as well. Still ugly in general though :)

I've got a pair - they take some getting used to. First, they're a little heel-negative, which means if you're used to any sort of heel height at all, the Bites will feel weird. Then, they've got cleats. Not big spikes of course but nuby things that are supposed to give you good foot control on grass. Again, takes some getting used to - if you've been wearing tennies or sneakers or any kind of shoe that's basically flat on the bottom, the Bites will make you feel stuck to the ground because the cleats tend to dig into the turf. (On concrete, of course, the cleats just wear out.) Weight-wise they're pretty light, which imo is a good thing. You can move your feet quickly without feeling like you're wearing heavy boots.

Anyway, I keep my Bites in the trunk of my car but usually when I play, I just stick to regular sneakers or whatever. If I was going to use them I'd have to wear them for a few months before I was used to how they feel and so forth.

My 2¢ - if I was going to spend the money they cost me again, I'd probably go for more plastic instead.

I just bought some "HI TEC" hiking boots at Academy Sports And Outdoors for $29. They have great traction, and are very, comfortable. I have played in them twice so far, and they are great. I thinking some sort of hiking shoe is they way to go for disc golf.

I bought two pairs of those Hi-Tecs a few years ago and liked them at first and were really comfortable but that comfort disappeared after 2-3 months.

I often wear my Timberland Pro Titans that I wear for work DGing after work and they are pretty decent for DG, but I tend to wear them out a bit fast and hiking/grip is not the best in them although they are waterproof gortex and fairly comfortable standing.

I recently bought some merrill hiker hightops, says "continuum" on them think thats the model with vibram sole, which are waterproof/gortex and really like them so far. They are very light and comfortable and have good traction on all surfaces, and still not sticky on concrete pads. Wore them for a tourney last weekend in the rain and stayed dry. I also wore them for one of the longest east coast tourneys and was very pleased. They are not great for standing, as with most hikers, but these are the most comfortable shoes for hiking long distances and disc golf that I've found. I don't think I will stray from these shoes ever unless its really cold. I think typically you get what you pay for and these were definitely worth it!

Latest posts