• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bragging about cubby aces and short hole aces

Here's what I don't understand....If someone is bragging online about hitting an ace, why are you taking time out of your life to look up the hole online to see how far it is? Who cares. Live and let live. If someone posts about getting an ace on a 150 ft hole (even if it was their 4th shot off the tee,) they are more than likely seeking praise. Not jealousy or approval.

I have been playing for a little less than two years. I have a single ace on a short hole (175' ish) and it felt great. I was on a course that I'd never played before, the basket was hidden behind a tree, and my wife was with me. We heard the chains clang, ran up to see the disc in the basket, and she gave me a big kiss. What's not to like about that?

If my ace wouldn't count for much in your book, I'm fine with that.

I just wish my only (potential) tournament ace hadn't hit the pole and every chain in the basket on the way out, leading to a drop in 2 :(

DG terminology

Ace; s shot that goes into the basket; either from the tee, or a "significant" distance from the basket (fairway ace)

Golf terminology

Hole-in-One: a shot that goes into the cup, from the tee, while on the first attempt. There is no such thing as a fairway ace in golf, Only birdie/eagle/albatross (Yes, that exists).

i love when people advertise under 200' aces with speed 10 and up, wish i was there to see the slop in person.

I'd like to get an ace, not to brag about it, but to get the thrill of watching it go in.

Of course a long ace is more impressive, but someone designed a course with a 175' hole, and I ace it, I've done good.

I like to compare the accuracy it takes to hit the chains vs the accuracies it takes to be successful in other sports.

An easy comparison is to look at the angle accuracy it takes to hit a target - usually measured in miliradians. 1 mil accuracy means that you can roughly hit a 1ft wide target at 1000 ft.

South Dakota varmint hunters have accuracies less than 0.1 mil
Ball golfer ace at 150 yards requries less than 1 mil (doesn't take account for slope of green, back spin, etc)
Bullseye in Olympic archery takes less than 1.7 mils
DG Ace at 300 ft needs 5 mils accuracy
Outfielder throwing a strike from outfield needs 5 mils accuracy
Mini-golf (ball) ace requires around 9 mils (if you can get it through clown's mouth)
DG Ace at 150 ft needs 10 mils accuracy
Pitcher throwing a strike across home plate needs 23 mils accuracy
Free throw in hoops requires around 50 mils of accuracy (not factoring in arc of throw)

Now this doesn't factor in disc stability, wind conditions, needs to shape a line around an obstacle, or the fact that most baskets are evil and reject all plastic, etc.

So odds are if you play courses that are under 200 ft or empty out a bag on a 150 ft hole (and have some skill) you will eventually get one to stick.

But how important the ace it to you is usually a matter of context of the throw. 5th off the teepad should leave a smile on your face but no mention to another human being. 1st off the teepad that collects the ace pool or wins a tournament - that you can brag about, even to those who think it was lucky or a bad shot (because they believe in the birdie strategy)

My entire home course is under 260 feet for every hole, but I play a lot so have hit every basket at least once and some half a dozen. I mark them on my wizard or rhyno and move on. But when a newb asks me if I've ever gotten a hole in one, I just tell him I've gotten all of them. They're fun, and good practice, but how you feel about it really isn't a big deal.

When I get an ace someday, I'll be psyched. I'm sure I will tell my wife, and a few friends who play. Hell, I'll probably post it here. I'm sure I'll take a picture of the disc in the basket.

I won't write anything on the disc or retire it. I won't feel better about myself as a human being, or feel that I can now die in peace. I won't even see it as a sign I'm improving as a disc golfer. THAT I'll judge by the totals on my scorecards at the end of every round.

My home course not only has tone poles but most shots are around 250'. I have 7 aces, and count them all as tone pole aces. When I finally hit an ace on a basket I will have a seperate count of basket aces. No matter the length. And second shots never count as aces.

i love when people advertise under 200' aces with speed 10 and up, wish i was there to see the slop in person.

Ha! Your logic is flawed and you have much to learn. A tournament recently, I encountered a nasty dogleg left. The hole measured 170 feet according to the teesign. But it played more like 100 feet straight out, then maybe 60 feet left at almost a 90 degree angle. And this was a very wooded hole with trees lining BOTH parts of the fairway. I had the back of the box on this particular hole. Everyone before me threw Wasps or Gators or some other OS mid because they saw the distance and of course thought it was a "mid range" hole. Well after seeing their drives, I knew they were all short. So what did I do? Grabbed my Giant, gave it just enough to get around the dog leg and parked it. Moral of the story? Everytime you throw a driver, it doesn't have to be with 100% power. Learn some finesse with higher speed stuff as well. Know your discs and what they can do. If I would have aced a 170 ft hole with a Giant and it was the RIGHT disc for the shot, then guess what? I would have still got an ace.

^ I agree. I hit a basket at 140' today with a dominator. Hole 13 at bear creek in the short. It was a skip shot and it was so close. I thought it was in but noooooo.

I've had 12 aces in almost 3 years. Most of them have been in the 250' range. I've hit basket on 400'+ holes too. But in the end, what does it matter? The only people who think that its cool are the noobs that ask me when I play through. (I play really fast)

^ I agree. I hit a basket at 140' today with a dominator. Hole 13 at bear creek in the short. It was a skip shot and it was so close. I thought it was in but noooooo.

I know what you mean on that hole. I started out throwing a Zone (lost later) and a Breaker, then tried a Drone for a while. Now I'm throwing a Banshee on the skip and liking the results much better.

I know what you mean on that hole. I started out throwing a Zone (lost later) and a Breaker, then tried a Drone for a while. Now I'm throwing a Banshee on the skip and liking the results much better.

Yeah we played it today. The severe thunderstorm warning went off three times during the round. Pretty awesome but a lot of rain and lightning.

I think Aces are always an exciting part of the game, despite the distance. Getting a 1 on any hole is pretty cool. However, with that being said, I think that "cubby" aces are obviously not nearly as impressive as an ace where you throw once and get hit it, but still kind of cool nonetheless. If someone sits there and repeatedly throws a bunch of discs for the sole purpose of acing on a short hole, they are going to hit it eventually, and I personally don't think that's anything worth bragging over but it is still technically an ace. People are drawn to the game for different reasons and if someone like Cubby enjoys going out and throwing disc after disc at the same pin trying to ace it, good for him. He gets the game exposure and enjoys playing it. I don't think we need to hate on people for accomplishments they take pride in, whether it be a 125' ace the guy hit on his 10th shot or a 400' ace someone hits in a tournament. Even if the person is bragging about it and we may not agree how "skillful" it was. They are not equally impressive but when it boils down to it all the people are playing disc golf and enjoying it for their own reason, and I think that is what matters.

Ha! Your logic is flawed and you have much to learn. A tournament recently, I encountered a nasty dogleg left. The hole measured 170 feet according to the teesign. But it played more like 100 feet straight out, then maybe 60 feet left at almost a 90 degree angle. And this was a very wooded hole with trees lining BOTH parts of the fairway. I had the back of the box on this particular hole. Everyone before me threw Wasps or Gators or some other OS mid because they saw the distance and of course thought it was a "mid range" hole. Well after seeing their drives, I knew they were all short. So what did I do? Grabbed my Giant, gave it just enough to get around the dog leg and parked it. Moral of the story? Everytime you throw a driver, it doesn't have to be with 100% power. Learn some finesse with higher speed stuff as well. Know your discs and what they can do. If I would have aced a 170 ft hole with a Giant and it was the RIGHT disc for the shot, then guess what? I would have still got an ace.

Or bag a Zone or Drone. Both slower discs that will do the same thing.

Latest posts