• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brainwave-Like Disc Dyeing

I am thinking that we need to find a "carrier" for the dye that won't evaporate like shaving cream does. I tried something new today with mixed results. I had the green volt that I tried to bwave yesterday. (disc on the left) I put a red/blue/purple bwave pattern on it and then sprayed the disc with PAM hoping it would seal the s/c and not let it evaporate. Well it half worked. It's my best result yet even though it's still a far cry short...... I went back and put it in a blue/purple wisp fire marle to try to enhance it a little.....

Attachments

• before.jpg
    before.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 115
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 177
I am buying grape kool aid tomorrow. for real. :) gotta start somewhere. I also feel this may be a one step process. he said he can pump out tons of discs when he is all set up. Some of these attempts are awesome and its fun watching the mystery unfold. oh yeah gradding some tide too.

i hope no one figures it out completely it is truly an art form and has one master.

Last edited:
I will say that the iDye is much thicker than the RIT.... and might be better for this process. I bought grape kool-aid the other day.... but haven't tried it yet. The kool-aid has dye properties and might change the color of the original dye. Let me know when you try it.

I am thinking that we need to find a "carrier" for the dye that won't evaporate like shaving cream does. I tried something new today with mixed results. I had the green volt that I tried to bwave yesterday. (disc on the left) I put a red/blue/purple bwave pattern on it and then sprayed the disc with PAM hoping it would seal the s/c and not let it evaporate. Well it half worked. It's my best result yet even though it's still a far cry short...... I went back and put it in a blue/purple wisp fire marle to try to enhance it a little.....

Jerry, Quit trying to dye discs and make your wife happy by adding knobs to those cabinets. :|

going through the old pdga thread jeff ash replied in i found a couple things. he said tide and dye was the combo. but it was not rit dye. he also said that they get a solution bath of some sort. There was talk of a half hour cure time. He also suggested white vinegar to mix with dye to break up the crystals better.

if someone out there is going to figure this out these steps have to be important ones.

it sounds crazy, but i MIGHT have the solution to the grape smell...

I am buying grape kool aid tomorrow. for real. :) gotta start somewhere.

reading about this grape smell for a few days has jogged my memory about some stuff i used to use a while ago...

Meguiars Tire Gel - its a tire cleaner/protectant that has a crazy weird consistancy and it has that classic artificial grape smell.

i know, it sounds weird, but you're all talking about using tide laundry detergent... this isn't far off and i think the consistancy of the tire gel might just do the trick. someone should pick some of this up at their local auto parts store (its in the detailing section)!

Man i am not sure. lost a ton of sleep last night trying to figure out what that could be. I did find that kool aid is a great dye for yarns, but not for synthetics. I have a feeling that the dye being used is one of the keys. he stated that he was not using rit. I am sure idye poly was not the one either.

Man i am not sure. lost a ton of sleep last night trying to figure out what that could be. I did find that kool aid is a great dye for yarns, but not for synthetics. I have a feeling that the dye being used is one of the keys. he stated that he was not using rit. I am sure idye poly was not the one either.

yeah i'm not sure about the dye at all, but as far as the carrier... this stuff wouldn't evaporate like shaving cream and it wouldn't be as runny right away like tide would be... and the smell of grape is almost obnoxious. if no one else does it i'm gonna pick some up.... but i don't have any discs to dye at the moment.

My main thinking is that he was doing this for so cheap... that the products had to be cheap:

1. Had to be buying bulk dye.... no doubt.
2. Has to be basically a one step process for that price
3. The dye carrying liquid also needs to be cheap.... I like the idea of McGuires detailing stuff... but I also know that crap is expensive for the amount that you get. I'm all for new materials, though..... and we need to start thinking outside of the box like this :)

Bamm had mentioned a dye manufacturer to me.... basically you would be asking for specific flurescent colored dyes (like the ones that Jeff had towards the end). I think that we need to figure out the process before looking into a group buy of that type of stuff.

3. The dye carrying liquid also needs to be cheap.... I like the idea of McGuires detailing stuff... but I also know that crap is expensive for the amount that you get. I'm all for new materials, though..... and we need to start thinking outside of the box like this :)

agreed, its not crazy cheap... but how much does the average 'brainwave' type dye use as far as a carrier? lets take Tide for example? anyone?

i haven't done it, so i'm not sure the quantities needed.

at 16oz per bottle, the meguiars is about $.50/oz. if that was all that was needed, that's not terrible... but its not optimal.

along those lines there are different suppliers of detailing gel like that (with the same smell) that are sold in bulk - by the gallon, 5 gallon, etc. dealerships and detailing places use them. that may be where to look. it would certainly be less than half the cost per oz.

just thinking 'out loud'. worth a shot, eh?

It wouldn't be expensive if you did multiple discs in the same dye bed.

I think the real question though is what dye to use...

I am wondering if you can add something to kool aid powder to get it to dye plastic. there is a ton of uses for kool aid and dyeing fabric is one of them. it seems like it wont take to plastic. that is not gonna stop me from trying. if its koolaid im gonna poop myself.

im willing to go buy some of the tire gel and see what results I can get

ive never seen or messed with the tire gel, but could you possibly be mixing the dye/vinegar/tide mixture with the gel as the carrier, then baking or freezing it, either way I think the gel would react

I'm buying a dye called "dylon dye" on amazon. It's supposed to be able to dye plastics.

Thinking about trying some semi-permanent hair dye.

Ill let y'all know when it gets in if it takes to plastic or not...

Too late to edit. Found a hair dye on amazon that the reviewer complained stained their sink and countertop for 3 months, nothing could remove it.

I'm going to order some to try, it sounds perfect.