• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brainwave-Like Disc Dyeing

I don't think 20 mins is gonna get you what you need..... good luck....

Not only did Mr Ash have yeeeears of experience, but im imagining the sheer amount of discs he practiced on is far more than most people even OWN or have owned. (with of course the exception of some on here)

Right indeed... I will say that the guys on here are hitting close to the mark, in due time they will hit on the right combination......... I would stop rightnow and sell all my dye if Jeff got out and got back into it though.........:thmbup:

Right indeed... I will say that the guys on here are hitting close to the mark, in due time they will hit on the right combination......... I would stop rightnow and sell all my dye if Jeff got out and got back into it though.........:thmbup:

I am doing myself a favor and not trying at all, as I dont think anyone will get as good as results as Jeff did. I think the effort is nice, and the work done so far looks good, just notquite the "brainwave" we all know. (for the record youre all doing faaar better than i could)

mine failed. the shaving cream dried up too quick and i dont think my dye mix was strong enough. so i did it up more and will wait and see

Bummer bro, but that is what I have been getting as well. Back to the drawing board.

I've been experimenting with attempts to create brainwave-like patterns for a while now, and haven't had much of any success until I'd seen this thread. So, thanks to bilythekid for sharing. :thmbup:

Unfortunately, my current camera situation is deficient, so I'm unable to share the results of my experimentation. Also, my experiments were less "scientific", than they were "just messin' around with dyes while somewhat inebriated". Hence, my inability to speak with regard to the specifics, but more so to the generalities that I've experienced.

i think we need to find a different carrier of the dye, and also i think i need to re-evaluate my dye mixture.

Something I've had moderate success with, and I've read about here before, is fumed silica. It's difficult to work with, as it's a superfine powder that tends to fly all over the place with exposure to the gentlest poof of air.

The way I work with it, I leave all of the fumed silica in the original bag it was shipped in, stab that bag with a hollowed out pen, put a rubber band around the bag securing it to the pen, then use an empty condiment "squeeze" bottle to vacuum up the powder through the pen. Once the fumed silica is in the squeeze bottle, I just squeeze it out into my Rit/water mixture. I use 4oz jam jars, boil about 3oz to 3.5oz of water in the microwave, add about 1/8 packet of powder, then begin adding the silica and stirring continuously . It's difficult to measure exactly how much fumed silica goes into each batch of dye I've made. You can make the dye solution just about any consistency from dish soap (and thinner) to toothpaste (and thicker). I haven't played around with it enough yet to test the whole array of consistencies. I just keep adding until I get somewhere between dish soap and toothpaste. If it gets too thick, add water. If it gets too thin, add silica. As long as the 4oz jar doesn't begin to overflow, the powder dye Should still be concentrated enough.

mine failed. the shaving cream dried up too quick and i dont think my dye mix was strong enough. so i did it up more and will wait and see

I think the early drying may have caused such a weak effect. I think instead of a dehumidifier or heater, there may need to be something more along the lines of a humidor. Something that can keep the dye solution moist during the dyeing process. I'm been trying a method where I "steam" the disc. Put it in a pyrex pie dish with a little bit of water, put a lid on top, then float it on top of some almost boiling water.

I'm not sure whether this will aid in your efforts, but thought it'd be good to share. And I'd be curious whether anyone else who has tried any of these methods may have similar experiences.

I wonder if thick-it.... a powder used to thicken liquids for patients with swallow/aspiration problems would work about the same. I don't have any.... but it is readily available at pharmacy.

how is jeff ash? i googled and all i found was old arrest news. is he out? etc
typing with 1 finger...

I haven't heard anything new for about a month now. I think we would have heard from our man B3nder if he was released though. brainwaves or no brainwaves, hope that he gets out soon.....:\

One of mine
Picture002-1_zpsb54b3a45.jpg