• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bubble mailers unnecessary?

nkhoury

Eagle Member
Not to hate, cause its cool and all to get something that's nicely packed, but are bubble mailers really needed? Just regular paper envelopes should be just fine. I mean, as soon I take the disc out of its bubble wrapped sheath, I usually throw it right into a tree or something anyway. Lol. With wall Hangers I guess a bubble mailer is needed, but has anyone ever got a disc that has really been damaged in transit by the USPS ? I feel like me chucking the disc into a tree at high speeds is as bad as anything that could happen to it in the mail . Anyone care to comment? Can I just start using regular un padded paper envelopes instead of bubble mailers??

Every time I get discs with "Do Not Bend" written on the mailer, the lady at my post office (rural, so I get parcels at the PO, not delivered to my house) laughs. She says that some sorters treat that as an invitation to investigate what might be inside by giving the mailer a little bend. She also said that the quickest way to get a sorter to shake your package is to write "fragile" on it.

Not surprising. People are just curious by nature . But i write do not bend so that stupid mail people dont roll the disc to get it stuffed into the tiny mail boxes that some apartments have. A buddy of mine got a star eagle rolled and stuffed into his box onetime, didn't mess it up too bad, but it was a little warped for sure after that

I've gotten discs in the mail in paper envelopes that were torn and exposing portions of the disc. This is why I use padded envelopes. If the paper rips, there's still some plastic bubbles to potentially protect everything. Most paper envelopes I've received have arrived just fine though.

On the other side, I had a member get a disc from me in a padded envelope that I'd taped the loose material over and forgotten to write "Do not bend" on that was crammed into his mailbox. It was a Predator so that mail carrier had to have struggled to fold it and cram it in there.

I've always used regular envelopes with the appropriate warnings. And I pad the disc/s in paper. I fill the underside and wrap the disc. It's worked well so far.

right on. I wish i could just put the postage directly on the disc and mail it that way. LoL

So far, I've been sending in regular envelopes, but I add a sheet of cardboard (from old notepads) front and back, plus a paper towel on the front of the disc so there are no scrapes. It would take a postman who's really committed to bending a package to do so...so I don't add the 'fragile' or 'do not bend' challenges. ;)

I've used both. Whatever I can find a good deal on. If it's just a normal paper envelope, I packaging tape the lip closed (in addition to the glue you lick) for more durability in terms of not opening. I did make sure to bubble mail a KC Pro teebird, but other than that, it's whatever I have!

the only damage i've ever had was on a blizzard champion disc. something heavy must have been set on top of the package in the truck, because it arrived with a huge concave dent in the flight plate. even after letting it sit upside down filled with hot water, it wouldn't go back. i don't think having bubble wrap packaging would have fixed that though. personally, i think i like the heavy duty paper/cardboard slim packages better. they're more rigid and don't bend as easily as the bubble wrap.

thanks for all the input I guess it is for sure best to sent high dollar stuff in ridged packaging that can handle the weight of other stuff.

^ha funny sig by the way knettles

I got a z flick from discgolfcenter in a non bubble mailer... it was a little more stiff than the standard envelope and said "do not bend", it worked just fine. I imagine they do this because they are cheaper than bubble mailers. I will be reusing this envelope to send a disc out.

Well, I am a little disappointed in some of you, because on other threads some of you post saying what a huge arm you have, apparently not enough of an arm to stand in front of your house and throw a disc across a couple states and land on a guys front porch ! I use bubble mailers because enough people freak out if you do not, though I do not think Star and Champion plastic needs bubble mailers. And bubble mailers put a lot of plastic into the landfill. I used to write Do Not Bend but when reading the USPS web site, it said that to qualify for first class mail/large envelope, it must be bendable, so I do not write it any more, as I do not want any shipments getting sent back. And I have been really happy with the speed the first class mail is getting delivered, a few cross country runs recently in just shy of 48 hours. I used to buy the bubble mailers at Staples, but even in 10 packs it was more than $ 1 per envelope, which is way too expensive, so now I order in bulk of 50 or 100 from Cutting Edge in Ohio, I actually found them on Ebay, $ 32.99 includes shipping for 100 ( 100 #4 Eco-Lite Kraft Bubble Mailers ), so that is just $ .33 per bubble mailer, not bad. If you do not need 50 or 100, go in with your friends and split it.

Instead of going thru Ebay, here is the Cutting Edge web site: http://www.4bubble.com/ They accept Paypal, the # 4 Eco_lite Kraft Bubble Mailers are the 9.5 x 14 ones, you just search on #4 on their web site.

Boss thanks a bunch. i'm probably about to do that. do they have free shipping? cause the same deal is on ebay for 22 shipped

It also depends on what you are shipping. A really soft putter, a valuable Dx/KCPro disc, or anything worth more than $25 would probably warrent a bubble mailer. If it's used premium plastic, just send it so me in a manilla envelope with a layer of packing tape over the whole thing (to keep it from ripping) and I'd be happy. Discs in the MP generally go for under retail and most people expect that shipping is included so I don't mind that they sometimes come in less than perfect packaging. Where else can you pick up a 9/10 Pulse for like $9 and the seller eats the shipping?

I have, in the past, wrapped a disc with a grocery bag and tapped it off. I would then get a paper grocery bag, cut it in half, and "gift wrap" the disc with the unmarked side of the paper bag facing out. This is free, recycles bags, and protects it pretty well as long as you have sufficient padding inside.

Latest posts