• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Can you shoot 'Par' on your home course?

Can you shoot "Par" on your home course?

• Total voters
Shooting par at Loriella depends on the pin placements.

If the first 7 holes are on the short pins then I can usually hit some birdies to get me under par for the holes I bogey on a regular basis. Going in to the back 9 with 4 birdies can usually hold off for a stroke or two under or a par round.

If the first 7 are in the long position I can still hit a few birdies but I usually end up a few over par.

Haven't shot par at Seneca since the redesign to 27 holes, best has been a 83. I was -3 after the first 18 once but didn't have time to finish the last loop (19-27).
Yes, that last loop will getcha - it has ruined many a promising round for me. :wall:

Shooting "par" at Seneca definitely depends on pin placement and tee used. When the universe aligns - short tees, "A" pins, and me hitting lines / getting lucky, I have scored par or better maybe once or twice. When the course is mostly "B" and "C" pins, or from the long tees, fugeddaboutit.

The fact that 91% can shoot par at their home course indicates to me that disc golf courses are too easy. You wouldn't see such a high percentage with traditional golf.
I agree. Even if you go by all par 3's (Save for true par 4's and 5's), courses on average are just way too easy. It's ok having a few courses aimed towards beginners, but when it shouldn't be an adventure just to find a challenging course.

I live by a lot of good courses, but none of them are what I'd consider incredibly demanding. Portage Lakes and Deis Hill blues can be kind of tough, but not kick you in the balls tough. Which is what I want :)

I think its a shame that so many 9 hole courses are incredibly short and easy. I'd love to see challenging 9 hole courses with par 4's and 5's. Portage Lakes was the only one like this I had played up until they completed the back 9.

We don't have Par 4's and 5's in Socal. La Mirada back has an 800 foot hole. Guess what it's a Par 3. It has another hole that is 220 feet. Guess what that one's a Par 3 too. I think these Par 4's and 5's are pumping you guys in other parts on the country into thinking you are much better players than you are.

Not talking to you directly Mike C, I already know you are quite a solid player.

That being said, My Home Course is Quite tough. Singles I've shot par there probably 3 or 4 times out of 150+ rounds. Doubles I can shoot under quite easily.

Am par = Yes

Pro par = No.

The whole par debate is really moot. The bottom line is what did you score. Especially relative to the course average. SoCal courses aren't necessarily harder or easier. And 800' is NOT a Par 3. 2 throws of almost 400' just to be within the circle? Yeah, right.

My point is if folks average 54 on a particular course and you shoot 60+, you either suck or you had a bad round. If you scored something less than 50 you're very good or damn lucky.

Don't pump yourself up just because a course is listed as all 3s even though the reality is, its not.

Yes, I typically fly under par on the courses in my area. My best scores are as follows:

1. Taylor Park in Largo FL - My most flown course. The lowest score here is a 46 on a par 54.

2. NE Coachman in Clearwater FL - Another 46 on a par 54

3. Cliff Stephens Park also in Clearwater - My best on this course is a 58 on a par 63

4. Tocobaga course at Maximo Park in St.Pete FL - flew a 48 on a par 54 (I still carry this scorecard in my wallet)

These are the scores from the long's - I don't fly the shorts unless it's night golf and that's the rules for Taylor night golf. Coach night golf plays from the long's with no OB

Last edited:
Yes, I typically fly under par on the courses in my area. My best scores are as follows:

1. Taylor Park in Largo FL - My most flown course. The lowest score here is a 46 on a par 54.

2. NE Coachman in Clearwater FL - Another 46 on a par 54

3. Cliff Stephens Park also in Clearwater - My best on this course is a 58 on a par 63

4. Tocobaga course at Maximo Park in St.Pete FL - flew a 48 on a par 54 (I still carry this scorecard in my wallet)

These are the scores from the long's - I don't fly the shorts unless it's night golf and that's the rules for Taylor night golf. Coach night golf plays from the long's with no OB

Those are pretty good scores for those courses, for someone that has only been playing for 6 months. Good job!

We don't have Par 4's and 5's in Socal. La Mirada back has an 800 foot hole. Guess what it's a Par 3. It has another hole that is 220 feet. Guess what that one's a Par 3 too. I think these Par 4's and 5's are pumping you guys in other parts on the country into thinking you are much better players than you are.

I think you misunderstand what golf and par really is. Just my opinion.

I think its a shame that so many 9 hole courses are incredibly short and easy. I'd love to see challenging 9 hole courses with par 4's and 5's. Portage Lakes was the only one like this I had played up until they completed the back 9.

Morehart Park near me is marked as an 18 hole course because of different teepads that change the look of each hole, but there are 9 baskets. There are a few par 4s and maybe a par 5 depending on if you go by the signs or how the course actually plays. It needs to have the underbrush developed between the fairways for a while, but it is pretty close to what you describe right there even though its an 18 hole course.

Sorry, my profile was incorrect...Make it 3 years and 6 months!! I saw that and made the correction!! Still I'm incredibly happy with the way my game has progressed and I'm on track for my next goal - double digits down!!

Well seeing as I have only played Nocky (sort of), no. :p It was fun though.

Sorry, my profile was incorrect...Make it 3 years and 6 months!! I saw that and made the correction!! Still I'm incredibly happy with the way my game has progressed and I'm on track for my next goal - double digits down!!

Those are still decent scores. Keep it up!

I'm another with the easy open home course. I don't know the last time I shot above par, but it was certainly a 40 mph wind day. I average 4 down through 9 holes with a lot of 7s and 8s and one (not quite perfect with one ace) -9.

I also haven't been able to play nearly the volume of courses that I'd like but think I've yet to Play a course that I wouldn't be able to shoot under par at my current skill level. There may be one or two where under par would be an anomaly, but also very achievable. That said, I need to get out and play a lot more courses.

The whole par debate is really moot. The bottom line is what did you score. Especially relative to the course average. SoCal courses aren't necessarily harder or easier. And 800' is NOT a Par 3. 2 throws of almost 400' just to be within the circle? Yeah, right.

My point is if folks average 54 on a particular course and you shoot 60+, you either suck or you had a bad round. If you scored something less than 50 you're very good or damn lucky.

Don't pump yourself up just because a course is listed as all 3s even though the reality is, its not.

Yeah, I agree with this. The average score of your course is a better measure of how u compare with other people. I guess this depends on how many scores have been recorded and if they were casual or competitive rounds, etc. But since par is such a debated thing in DG, average course score would seem to be much more useful.

The average score for my home course, Jim Mozola in Houston, is 30.58 strokes for 88 recorded rounds. I used to get pretty bummed shooting several (or more) over 'par' of 27 for 9 holes. After looking up the overall average, I do indeed feel better :)

You're right, it's not a Par 4. For you. Keep pumping yourself up.

I've seen Rico "3" that hole pretty easily with a roller followed by a well placed 250 foot mid shot. It's doable. I went to a few of the courses on the site people have listed here, and the distances are ridiculous for Par 4's and 5's. 310 feet for a Par 4? Come ON. I'm not a competitive golfer, but I'm not a bad one either.

The 9 hole by my work I average -4 at. Shot -6 at lunch today on 9 holes. Have you played Casitas before? Is that an "easy" course? No par 3's, even on hole 16 which sits at 590. Par 3's don't exist in Socal.