• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Gotta say I am really liking the Comet. It's been a bit windy lately but overall liking that effortless flight its giving me. I can see why people are calling this disc magical! As of right now it won't have an instant spot in my bag though but I am still giving it the respect it deservers by giving it a fair chance.
My biggest issue right now is that bite at the end after that late turn as its really rare for me to need that on the courses I play at..If the shot calls for something that gets you around a corner there is usually enough room to throw something a bit more overstable in a slight anhyzer instead of trusting a Comet to do the job for you.
If I want to throw a disc on a straight rope I can just use a putter or a beat up Roc that aren't as touchy. What I mean is I have more confidence smashing a Roc and a bit of wind won't affect that confidence and it will also handle a not so perfect release (Bad footing, bad day etc...we are not machines, it will happen). Also If I'm looking to go right (RHBH) it is really rare I want a late fade back but its more often a dogleg type of a hole where I need the disc to just continue to drift right.

A lot of this can be compared to why I'd rather throw a Teebird/Eagle in a slight anhyzer on a long S-type hole instead of trusting something like a Sidewinder to carve that shape for me. Sure if everything works out the way it "should" its a beautiful thing to see..But is it consistent? Eventually it will be a bit too beat up or there is too much headwind or speed and that fade wont be there.

Or maybe I just have trust issues with discs and I should do a lot more field work in different conditions and learn to let them do that work for me.:D I am probably making a fool out of myself for speaking out so soon but these are my first thoughts. As I said I'll give it a proper chance before making a decision.:thmbup:

Gotta say I am really liking the Comet. It's been a bit windy lately but overall liking that effortless flight its giving me. I can see why people are calling this disc magical! As of right now it won't have an instant spot in my bag though but I am still giving it the respect it deservers by giving it a fair chance.

... (interpetation ) .... Blah blah... haha.. Rambling :D haha..

That's cool man, good snag... it is totally fresh, and heavy, it takes a bit of time to beat that fade out... I think your best paragraph is the first one :D

The roc vs comet battle is as old as plastic itself.

Glad you are giving it a go, and again, great snag.I tempted to grab the last lone one up here in Canada I've got a few but it was a GREAT run IMO. I'm barely breaking in my 176 (used before me), haven't touched my backups. I've got a few :D Comets.. These are in my top 20 percent of my stock. They are classic Comet, little like a little touch on the stable side. A little easier flight than Z but not like an ESP or X, they beat in very well, just takes throws.. And trees...

Anyhow, it's just getting started.. Like you said give it a fair chance. Personally I never really clicked with 180's I'm a 176g Max kinda guy. For me there's a huge difference between a 172 and a 176g.

Last edited:
Picked up a Big Z comet and threw it a lot on a woodier course this weekend and man it was a sight to see. Parked a couple of holes that had 5-8ft gaps to hit and I think I only missed one with it. Picked up an MJ tour series as well, but didn't get a chance to throw it more than once or twice.

My biggest issue right now is that bite at the end after that late turn as its really rare for me to need that on the courses I play at..If the shot calls for something that gets you around a corner there is usually enough room to throw something a bit more overstable in a slight anhyzer instead of trusting a Comet to do the job for you.
If I want to throw a disc on a straight rope I can just use a putter or a beat up Roc that aren't as touchy. What I mean is I have more confidence smashing a Roc and a bit of wind won't affect that confidence and it will also handle a not so perfect release (Bad footing, bad day etc...we are not machines, it will happen). Also If I'm looking to go right (RHBH) it is really rare I want a late fade back but its more often a dogleg type of a hole where I need the disc to just continue to drift right.

A lot of this can be compared to why I'd rather throw a Teebird/Eagle in a slight anhyzer on a long S-type hole instead of trusting something like a Sidewinder to carve that shape for me. Sure if everything works out the way it "should" its a beautiful thing to see..But is it consistent? Eventually it will be a bit too beat up or there is too much headwind or speed and that fade wont be there.

Or maybe I just have trust issues with discs and I should do a lot more field work in different conditions and learn to let them do that work for me.:D I am probably making a fool out of myself for speaking out so soon but these are my first thoughts. As I said I'll give it a proper chance before making a decision.:thmbup:

I actually do not throw turnovers with mids for this reason. I just don't trust it to turn when I need it. The meteor is actually a better turnover disc than the comet.

I actually do not throw turnovers with mids for this reason. I just don't trust it to turn when I need it. The meteor is actually a better turnover disc than the comet.

Fair enough. I love throwing mids for a big turnover or a big deep hyzer. I will admit though it sucks when you are so close to the right angle and then it fades back out at last minute and pushes 30' too far instead of holding and planting.

I always want to carry a turnover comet like a worn x or esp but they frustrate me too much for the straight shots. I just (try to) make the one comet I'm packing do it all.

I suppose disc golf is going more and more into a direction where people carry a disc that excels in one specific job instead of carrying multi purpose discs. I was curious about the Comet and still am but if I was looking for a disc to do one job (effortless drifting turn) I could just use a Fuse or a SOL that performs that task effortlessly with no surprises. Will be interesting to see how my Comet performs once that fade is gone.

I suppose disc golf is going more and more into a direction where people carry a disc that excels in one specific job instead of carrying multi purpose discs. I was curious about the Comet and still am but if I was looking for a disc to do one job (effortless drifting turn) I could just use a Fuse or a SOL that performs that task effortlessly with no surprises. Will be interesting to see how my Comet performs once that fade is gone.

Yeah if you want a specific turnover disc then the comet might not be the best choice. M4, Meteor, Cobra, Fuse, Element - all better choices for actual understable midrange discs. The comet can excel when you are able to throw it on multiple angles/lines, but it's not for everyone's style of game. It all depends on how you want to setup your loadout - the comet can cover a very wide range of shots and makes a simple lineup easier. But again, that philosophy isn't for everyone, and tends to be more of an old school game theory.

I traded for a pair of old 8.5/10 ESP Comets and it's the Comet I've always wanted all along, but I never really dabbled with ESPs before these ones. Slight hyzer release into frozen rope flight. Went long on a few holes I thought it would come up short on, including one that touched at the base of the basket and then skipped away. Another went 40' deep and that's the deepest I've ever seen someone go on that tee, but it should be $$$ for the longer tee. Just reinforces that I need to throw Comets more often.

Comet is more of a hold the line disc, you put it on the anhyzer angle you want and it just goes. No need to worry about how hard you're throwing it.

If you're looking for something that is released flat and at a specific speed, and you get a specific amount of turn, it's probably not gonna fill that role.

My current Comet lineup - The Elite-X and LE ESP are from 2011, so 11 years in the bag for each. The Z and 2021 MJ I picked up today. Z was used, and the MJ was on sale for 12$, so I grabbed the last 2. I started throwing them after watching MJ throw butter-smooth lines through wooded courses, which is how I cut my teeth. My X is a super flippy, effortless anny machine, and the ESP is dead straight, hoping the 2021 MJ is a bit more "stable" for hyzer lines. Any input?

Attachments

• Comet.jpg
    Comet.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 23
My current Comet lineup - The Elite-X and LE ESP are from 2011, so 11 years in the bag for each. The Z and 2021 MJ I picked up today. Z was used, and the MJ was on sale for 12$, so I grabbed the last 2. I started throwing them after watching MJ throw butter-smooth lines through wooded courses, which is how I cut my teeth. My X is a super flippy, effortless anny machine, and the ESP is dead straight, hoping the 2021 MJ is a bit more "stable" for hyzer lines. Any input?

Agree. I had an MJ Comet that I lost. It was my favorite of any of them due to its neutrality/stability for power hyzerflips. I still love all my Comets but I really miss that one.

Agree. I had an MJ Comet that I lost. It was my favorite of any of them due to its neutrality/stability for power hyzerflips. I still love all my Comets but I really miss that one.

Yeah those MJ's are pretty nice, neutral stable, fairly straight, little less stable than a regular Z... I found the MJ's kinda like a Z with a year of wear on em.