• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Weight schmeight

Honestly if don't know if a scale is a blessing or a curse...

Kinda like flight numbers haha. Sometimes you just gotta throw it.

My favorite Comet, the back of its flight plate is a gorgeous multiple layers of fading signatures and witty comments written in sharpie from its five aces, is an orange older Z run that made its way into my bag without a weight written and the sticker removed. It's been in the bag and a staple of my golf game for over a decade. I assumed by its flight when new(to me) that it was max weight or close to it.

Earlier this winter after a second shot or an example line(friend asking me to come look at his lie wanting to know what line/disc I'd throw from it) I left my most prized Comet behind and a few holes later reached for it and it wasn't in its spot. Terrified of losing my baby we back tracked. Tried to think where I would have thrown it last. Asked groups behind us as we went back looking for it if they'd seen it with no luck. Eventually after what felt like an eternity but was really only about half an hour we figure it out. Go back to the hole where I was showing a friend a high anny stall shot around a cedar tree(that he ended up executing to perfection with his version of the Comet, a meteor)but don't see it anywhere. A guy from the next tee pad shouts over "did you look under the upturned root wad by the stump? I've seen a few get in there.". Sure enough my beloved Comet had gone past the basket and found its way under a tree's roots that had blown over a few weeks ago. Far enough in under the upturned roots that I needed my flashlight on my phone to find it and had to reach in up to my shoulder to get it back.

When I got home I decided it may be time to retire that one to the wall. I planned to grab a stack Comets with similar weights/PLH/shoulder/dome to my old orange favorite and take them out to the field to find my next go to Comet.

Got out the scale, 173g.

that's a pretty similar story to why I retired my dark pink z comet - was the first one I bought off the shelf that stayed in the bag, and first comet I aced with back in 2012 (lost a couple prior to that learning to throw them)

I dread the day I have to make that decision with my 2018 MJ comet, that thing has been a loyal workhorse for a few years now. It's not currently in my bag, but will slot right back in when the snow melts

I got a big-z meatball Comet at 169g that is pretty flat. It flew slightly understable right out of the box for my very slow arm.

Yeah it seems to be the least optimal timing to not have a tour series disc ... for a pro. Discraft has re-emerged and exploded, the sport is booming, everyone seems to have a tour series disc now a days...so why now stop the MJ comet? Seems like there is more of a story here....like it is wanted for the Buzz SS or Meteor to have the premium space in this slot.

I kind of feel like the MJ comet is a staple release for the hardcore fans. Seems unkind to not do that for him given his long history with DC. Even if he has been bumped back in "team status" the MJ comets usually do pretty well, though the Ledgestone JB and rubbers didn't sell out, I think there's still some available.

i lost my MJ tour Z comet under leaves right in the middle of a fairway. sad.

i was using that thing a ton during winter to avoid breaking my seasoned rocs.

the silver lining is that i know i can just buy another heavy z comet and pick up right where i left off if i want too and be fine.

Yeah it seems to be the least optimal timing to not have a tour series disc ... for a pro. Discraft has re-emerged and exploded, the sport is booming, everyone seems to have a tour series disc now a days...so why now stop the MJ comet? Seems like there is more of a story here....like it is wanted for the Buzz SS or Meteor to have the premium space in this slot.

I kind of feel like the MJ comet is a staple release for the hardcore fans. Seems unkind to not do that for him given his long history with DC. Even if he has been bumped back in "team status" the MJ comets usually do pretty well, though the Ledgestone JB and rubbers didn't sell out, I think there's still some available.
Infinite Discs still has 51 2021 MJ Comets. Marshall Street still has 23.

That might not mean much as Marshall Street still has 10 different '21 Discraft Tour Series discs in stock. Infinite still has 266 '21 Andrew Presnell Forces, and there is a '22 Andrew Presnell Force. How they sell might not have as much to do with the tour series runs as we would think.

Damn, we got cleaned out of 21 MJ's up here.. They sold out within the first week pretty much.Tempted to pull some more but I'm sure 2 or 3 backups are plenty.

Latest posts