• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

I wouldn't if he didn't have his name on a disc

Honestly me too, I've got a box of comets, one for every mood haha :D. I look forward to the new weird blend MJ's every year. I really liked the 21's.

I've got at least a few of each plastic... but its like a fancy seasonal beer/disc I want to check it out, support their creativity and one cool comet throwing dude.

Too early to tell

I fell in love with an old esp and haven't been putting them in the bag.

The one round I bagged them was a very cold round and I didn't appreciate the grip of the big Z in the cold. The handful of throws I made with them were ok. They did well thrown flat/finished flat on two 210' shots, held an 240' uphill anny well. Then after that I had started to bond with the ESP and it got the rest of the Comet work that round.

God I wish jawbreaker was more durable. I bought 6 of the 21' Ledgestone jawbreaker comets as backups for my ~2000 TP Saturn Stamp Comet. Even though it's 20+ years old, the TP plastic is more durable than the ledgestone jawbreakers. I have several Z and ESP comets, but none of them feel or fly as good as the jawbreaker and TP ones I have. I already removed one jawbreaker comet because it got too flippy and it wasn't in the bag for more than 2 months.

I think someone mentioned in this thread that the TP plastic shrunk some once it was out of the mold, making it a really unique Comet stability. I would have to agree, the stability is absolutely perfect for me. Unfortunately none of the premium plastics feel as good or fly like that comet.

Where would one find a bottom stamped MJ comet? Only ones on ebay are a little absurd

those would be the 2019 tour series, right? I would imagine there aren't many out there other than fleabay and marketplace at this point.

edit: holy moly, the disc market is ****ed. I just looked on fleabay for those and finding listings for 'PFN' Comets (ie old circle Z stamp) for like $45...rare! OOP!...really? It's a freakin stock run of comet, same as you'd buy today with a different stamp! $80 for LE ESP Comets is somewhat expected, but still pretty unreasonable since they are also in production now.

Last edited:
Picked these up.

Anyone know anything about the glow one? First run stamp right?

Attachments

• IMG_20220421_133255380_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220421_133255380_HDR.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 75
Picked these up.

Anyone know anything about the glow one? First run stamp right?
Yeah, it's the same stamp they used for the first runs. It's Z plastic, though. Right? I mean it looks like Z plastic. So they must have stamped some glow Z's with that stamp at some point.

Basically no, I don't know anything about it. :|

I dunno, but I had a bad round yesterday, full of bad shots and my 50 year old knees were aching. The only two birdies I got were the only two tee shots that I threw with my ESP Comet.
I suppose I'll go throw another round tomorrow just to see that comet fly some more. :)

Yeah, it's the same stamp they used for the first runs. It's Z plastic, though. Right? I mean it looks like Z plastic. So they must have stamped some glow Z's with that stamp at some point.

Basically no, I don't know anything about it. :|

Makes sense! I threw it like my 2021 MJ I bag it does that beautiful "half-flip-up" thing

All of a sudden after several years of playing I suddenly have an itch to try out the Comet..The info I've gathered over the years is that it would be "best" in Elite X but afaik that is out of production and ESP Comets are as well (or just very hard to find).

Which plastic and weight should I get my first Comet in? Seems to be available in Z, Big Z and MJ TS.

All of a sudden after several years of playing I suddenly have an itch to try out the Comet..The info I've gathered over the years is that it would be "best" in Elite X but afaik that is out of production and ESP Comets are as well (or just very hard to find).

Which plastic and weight should I get my first Comet in? Seems to be available in Z, Big Z and MJ TS.

out of those 3, I'd say that a big Z comet is going to likely be the closest to how the mold 'should' fly. If you can get X or ESP though, I think those are the best plastic for a comet. As long as you don't get any flat ones, they should be fine in any plastic.

I'm in the minority, but I've always found that if I just go down in weight a bit a Z Comet flies like an X Comet. My Z's are usually around 172-173g and I haven't had any issues. I also had a 173 Big Z that just flat bombed; I loved that disc. I've had X Comets out of the bag for over a decade; I never miss them.

I'll order a Big Z online and hope it will have a dome. Thanks!:thmbup:

I support the big Z idea however I am not too sure how you will make out with the Dome and they seem to come out a little bit flattered overall. It is however the closest to an ESP flight for a premium comet. Feeling that the 21 mj tour series is a damn fine disc. They seem to have a higher shoulder so a bit more dome but they both share a flatter top

Depending on what you expect out of your comet I would look for something around 176 grams or less