• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Cons of putting with a shallow putter

rusch_bag

* Ace Member *
I don't think I have seen any of the big name pros putt with a shallow putter, but with smaller hands I am going to assume I will have an easier time gripping a shallow putter. I have never actually used one so I am wondering if any of you can tell me the pros and cons of putting with one from your experiences. Thanks.

I don't think I have seen any of the big name pros putt with a shallow putter, but with smaller hands I am going to assume I will have an easier time gripping a shallow putter. I have never actually used one so I am wondering if any of you can tell me the pros and cons of putting with one from your experiences. Thanks.

My main putting putter is the Warden, which is not quite as deep as other putters. I never got into deeper feeling putters for putting, though some are okay for me for throwing. I also like the Colt and Stud, and the Magic that I tried was really nice as well.

One "pro" of a shallow putter: if it's comfortable for you to throw, that's 80% or more of the battle right there. A more comfortable putter will be a putter you want to work with more, and will get better with as a result.

One possible "con": shallow putters tend to be a bit faster than deeper putters, might skip or roll away from the basket more, and further. Deep putters CAN do that, but my Rhyno generally sits down while the Harp and Stud get frisky at times.

I also think my Star Stud cuts through the wind fairly well, and the Harp definitely does... but the Rhyno is a decent putter in the wind, as well...

I think Paige Peirce is putting with Swans right now?

My impression was that spin putters sometimes tend to use shallower putters.

My main putting putter is the Warden, which is not quite as deep as other putters. I never got into deeper feeling putters for putting, though some are okay for me for throwing. I also like the Colt and Stud, and the Magic that I tried was really nice as well.

One "pro" of a shallow putter: if it's comfortable for you to throw, that's 80% or more of the battle right there. A more comfortable putter will be a putter you want to work with more, and will get better with as a result.

One possible "con": shallow putters tend to be a bit faster than deeper putters, might skip or roll away from the basket more, and further. Deep putters CAN do that, but my Rhyno generally sits down while the Harp and Stud get frisky at times.

I also think my Star Stud cuts through the wind fairly well, and the Harp definitely does... but the Rhyno is a decent putter in the wind, as well...

A lot of that was pretty much what I was thinking, but it is good to hear someone else say it. In my head I was telling me it would be quicker with less glide. In my head it made sense it would cut through the wind better being narrower. I did not really think of the roll aways, but that does make sense too. I have never been able to get a good grip on a Wizard or putter like it so I think that benefit alone is worth at least trying it. Thanks for the response.

I have switched to the colt as my main putter for just this reason - small hands. I never could get comfortable with a grip on deeper putters and went through quite a few. I spent some time with the summit and only ditched it for the colt as the summit was just to US for me.

As for the pros/cons - I just don't see any difference between my colt and most normal putters (excluding things like zones/etc). Perhaps at the highest of levels you'd see a difference but for most mortals it really is all about the feel, getting a clean release, and your confidence. If that shallow putter feels right go for it and don't look back.

I find it'd be a balance of cutting through wind better, but less glide. For some putting styles this can be perfect, and for some it might just feel like too much work on longer putts to get it there with enough height.

Putting grip is so different from driving grip, and from person to person, that you really just need to feel some different depth putters and see what clicks for you. Also compare some traditional Aviar-based shapes against shallow ones eventually (if you go the shallow route) to see if it is working for you with actual putts. With driving there are specific techniques everyone needs to incorporate...with putting you have to do what's right for you if it's working.

For spin putts I don't think there's much difference. For push/lob/spush putters the low pros can be more nose angle sensitive and act a little squirrely. I have small hands and I love how low pro putters like the Shaman feel but I can't stand any nose angle sensitivity with my low spin putts.

I use a shallow putter because I would catch the rim on my fingers sometimes when I would release it. Pissed me off enough to go to a shallow putter. Still catch my fingers once in a while but nothing like I use to.

The only disadvantage I could see is less glide at putter speeds; and some of the shallow putters act more like a mid than a putter. But if a shallower rim makes it go where you want it to go, that's not a problem.

I have big hands but use a shallow putter (Spike) just because it's what feels and works best for me. I feel like I get a cleaner release, and as others have said I spin putt so I'm more dependent on speed than glide to get the disc to the chains.

Gonna resurrect this. Is there a putter with the depth of something like a Relay? I find myself putting with that 6 speed if I have to put more than 20 feet because of the grip and control I have along with the clean release.
I managed to hit 2 50 footers this weekend one to save par and the other for a nice bird, but blew by several others due to speed and glide. I think glide will be inherently part of the mix when dealing with such a shallow rim but even a few ticks of speed off should make a difference.

A Gateway Shaman, Chief or Chief OS should be close. The Shaman has no bead. The chief and chief os have a small bead.

Is there a putter with the depth of something like a Relay?

I doubt it. That's way too shallow for a putter, and even more shallow than mids. But speaking of mids, have you ever tried a Buzzz? It would take some getting used to but I've had some fun putting with one during one-disc rounds.

I used to have a Buzz, loved it, left it somewhere on a course and never did recover it. Now I just don't need a mid. With my noodle arm a fairway driver and a putter or just the fairway are all I use. Too much overlap between my Roc and Proxy and about the same lip.

Just got my hands on a chief os. It is about the most shallow putter around. Going to get a couple more in the next few weeks.