• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] considering a new mid...

yeah those with OAT ;)
I'd say the Buzzz is more OAT friendly than the Axis in general.
being Michael Johansen throws them like a laser beam doubt hes joking at all as don't know too many DGCR players on his level.
Comets go where you throw them, the only limit is your form. Chapter 4, verse 20 of the Gospel of Johansen.
-----------------------------------

I can't really answer OP's question without knowing how he wants to hit these gaps. If he wants to hit them using HSS for straightness than your z Buzzz, Nebula, Vector, etc mids work well for this. If you want to hyzer flip for straightness and/or finesse through the gap than Fuse, Axis, Tangent, Squall, Tursas, Comet, etc type mids work well for this. There are a bunch of mids that do a good job of both like the Core, Warship, Qms, Super Stingray, etc. And of course there is a Roc version somewhere that will do what you want.

There are a lot of great mids.

Last edited:
in the woods, there is no better disc than an x comet unless you are throwing hard and need it hyzer. it will give you pin-point control across an incredible speed range. you can power it down and up with relatively little worry about it doing much of anything different. it just goes straight where you aimed it.

if you need one mid to do it all and don't care about powering down because that's what you use putters for, get a buzzz or axis.

Lots of good suggestions out there. I might suggest the Buzz or Roc first as you can test these by barrowing one from a friend. This will let you test without spending any money. I would also see what else everyone has that you play with and test what ever they have.

When ever I am sampling discs, this method usually does not make up my mind on what I want but definitely lets me drop a few quick that I dislike.

My only real suggestion is get something that is easily replaceable with many options now there is no real need to buy specialty plastic or discs.

Cheers - Koffee

For mid range throws, I've used nothing but my pro D hawk and ive loved it but I may be time to go for something more durable. I'm looking for something with pin point control, something that can me thrown thru super narrow gaps. I'm not partial to any brand.

Pinpoint control? Want to thread tight gaps? More durable plastic?

Sounds like you need a z comet. No, I didn't say "you should try a z comet". You NEED one.

Last edited:
Pinpoint control? Want to thread tight gaps? More durable plastic?

Sounds like you need a z comet. No, I didn't say "you should try a z comet". You NEED one.

This is what I think I may go with. I've read a ton of reviews and it's been suggested many times here and elsewhere. I have tried my friends buzzes but I feel I didn't give it a fair deal since I never thought I'd steer away from my hawk. I just wished discraft would make it in something other then pro D. They just become to US.

i am going to throw out a ibex or obex. obex is stable mid. not overstable but stable. straight shots with minimal fade. Ibex is stable to understable. brand new they will have fade just like all discs. give them a month or 2 to beat in you get a nice stright shot with a finish to the right at the end.

I agree with pmorgan. The obex would be better for throwing into a headwind, but the ibex will hold any line you put on it and if thrown straight will hold its line with negligeable fade without any need to break in. Plus the durability and grip of the xlinx rubber is an added bonus.

personally im a lot more accurate when I can throw a disc hard and flat vs a soft hyzerflip. so I use my stable wasp to hit small gaps and be accurate. so I guess it depends on your throwing style. I do bag a z comet as well. mines beat and old its great for hyzer flips and turnovers

I agree the buzzz is very fast, so I wouldn't get one unless you like to rip your midrange shots.
it's more driver-like than a roc/insert roc clone.

you have to decide if you want speed stable (buzzz type) or mold stable (roc type).

don't know what a hawk is.

and yes, axis is disgusting. way more overstable than a buzzz with no glide unless ripped = more chance of needing OAT than a buzzz.
my form is fine, the axis is not.

A Roc. Everything else is just an imitation.... Seriously

and yes, axis is disgusting. way more overstable than a buzzz with no glide unless ripped = more chance of needing OAT than a buzzz.

doesn't sound like it lol.
I thought the buzzz needed to be ripped too?

I agree the buzzz is very fast, so I wouldn't get one unless you like to rip your midrange shots.
it's more driver-like.

:rolleyes:

Theory!!!!

I'd say this depends on the Buzz. Axis may be more OS than a seasoned Pro buzzz, sure.

Axis/Z Buzzz start out pretty close to each other, but start to show more separate personalities when seasoning.

Latest posts