• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Courses that make you relieved you shot 8 over

Fallsburg Park in Lowell Michigan. is a course where I would be happy to only be 8 over par. I am always extremely happy to get past hole 16 without losing a disc on that hole alone.

I would say the toughest ones I have played seem to be mostly designed by Stan McDaniel and friends. It doesn't help that I am usually only in NC for 1-3 weeks a year, but those courses just kick my butt. Stumpy Creek is the closest course to my parents, 5 minutes away and I think one of the most brutal in terms of needing to make it through the trees. I don't typically keep score, but if I did 8+ would make me very happy, realistically it would be somewhere in double digits above par. I really do enjoy all the courses that I have played in NC, makes So Cal seem like miniature golf sometimes.

Toughest tracks I've played are probably the two Paw Paw courses (Woodshed and Whipping Post) and the Patapsco Green Monster layout. I'd be delighted with a 62 at Hawk Hollow too. ;) Realistically breaking 70 would be great.

hahahaha perfect sentiment...it's like every hole you think I can par this no problem and then it has a way of exposing your mistakes......I am sure that 99% of the members on this site would ever throw par at Nocky....its a humbling experience

Played Nocky last year, dont remember my score but it was a good time. French Creek grindes my gears.

Played Nocky last year, dont remember my score but it was a good time. French Creek grindes my gears.

french creek is a pain in the ass lol...very technical, and very unforgiving.

I shot +12 at Gateway west in FW and the other 2 guys I was playing with were both well into the 20's so I felt pretty good about that score. Gnarly woods and long holes and not all listed as par 3. Several 4's and 5's. that was a couple of years ago and the course was new so if they have cleared some of the undergrowth it could be a little easier now.

I would have to agree with that. I played it about 2 years ago and it was very difficult, not cleared out much as all.

I played West Lake today and after this thread I was expecting something extremely challenging. Kinda let me down actually :( If par is really 93 then I took an 11 down and left some shots out there. Wasn't really impressed with it either.

Jim Warner Memorial at the IDGC...
North Ga Canopy Tours...
Indian Creek Park, Morgan Co, GA...
just to name a few :gross:

East Metro in Manor TX. It is a sum-um-a-bitch but awesome course. Play from the blue and your in for a challenging time especially if there is water in the creek. Still my favorite course in the area though

I played West Lake today and after this thread I was expecting something extremely challenging. Kinda let me down actually :( If par is really 93 then I took an 11 down and left some shots out there. Wasn't really impressed with it either.

I completely agree. I didn't find it to be very tough at all...and I'm not really very good. Hole 20 was the only "tight" hole on the course...and it was not well-designed. Other than that, the levee hole is the only really difficult hole at West Lake.

From the longs?!? Then again I played it in the upper 40's (temp) with 40+mph winds. I definitely had a different outlook..:|

Black Diamond near Buffalo, NY. Play from the golds and its like 10,000 feet.

What's crazier about Nockamixon is that the scoreboard stats include many entries when it was just 14 holes and a few walk off incomplete rounds. My best there was an 8 over 75 when it was a par 67. It's longer now and a 68. Tonight at doubles me and partner finished even at 68. I think the 3 courses would have to be Nocky , Nevin , and Iron Hill.

The thread could have ended here, you nailed it.

The thread could have ended here, you nailed it.

yeah I'm afraid those who havent played that trinity of courses have no idea....Id also add that of the Nockamixon scorebook avg of 85 which is 17 over par that the first few pages are when the course was 14 holes....there are many walk off rounds....and a slew of doubles rounds scores. All of that just speaks to the difficulty of that course. Course record is 58 or 59 during World's Play in 2005. So its never sniffed a 54 for those everything is a par 3 crowd.
Nevin is the only North Carolina course I felt matched Nocky for difficulty. Oh and theres really nothing more difficult than Iron Hill...almost too hard to be enjoyable...my best days I hope to score in the 80s there.

I second Fallasburg Park but down here in Bryan Ohio I would have to say Recreation Park is a b**ch. The guy that designed it can't even shoot an even on it, I think his best is a +2 and he's an Am1 player. I can only shoot +20 on it (which isn't saying a whole lot). The park is overly protective of anything that isn't disc golf so of course every single soccer field and baseball field that the entire course is weaved between is OB. Pretty much the thing that is the most challenging is that you pretty much have to bring a completely different loadout to this course. If you're used to your typical 40' to 50' fairways with dense autumn olive on each side with an open canopy in the fairway then this will be completely frustrating for you. There is hardly any open flyways in the first nine. There are some lines but it's about the same as standing 20 feet from your house, opening two windows on each side and trying to throw through each window about 200 feet.

Parma (in Parma NY) is pretty brutal. I'm relatively new to the sport (started last fall), but that course ate me up and spit me out. Shot a 73 my first time through. Was averaging 68 or so on Ellison.

austin ridge bible church in atx. that course makes me happy and mad. its a bittersweet relationship.

The Long tees at Elk Creek DGC in Appamattox, VA. I heard this course described as the "woodiest course in America" after a guy played from the medium tees. Some holes from the Longs aren't insane, but if they aren't, they're easily in the hard category. Some are in the insane difficulty category even for a Pro. There's one hole, 7 i believe, that is a U-shaped, 413 foot, uphill hole, and the first 200' of the fairway are about 8' wide.

I played from these the first time I played the course and swore I would never play them again. That was 4 years ago. I haven't played em since.

horseshoe canyon ranch in jasper, Arkansas. :D very tough and long course. (bring your hiking shoes). i have asked around multiple times and no one can even come up with an answer on what the course par really is. i know when i played the icebowl there i bought max mulligans and still came out with a 72 o_O

Latest posts