• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critique my form, please.

Been a while since I posted one of these. Something is definitely better. I'm throwing a lot more consistently today than last week.

Looks like you are getting your spine to rotate on the front side axis better now. You are still spinning your front side foot/knee before your weight is braced, and losing rear side leverage with the rear heel spinning out and lunging off the rear side. Try x-step from rear right to front left of the tee and watch the difference of the front hip and foot gliding forward, where you lift it going forward. Also watch how much further the shoulders are turned back at the plant.

Second vid no work.

Keep your rear hip level or lower than the front hip. You are tilted off axis. Try practicing a left handed submarine pitcher stride/throw from standstill.

It should work now. Does a left handed forehand work?
It's really the same thing to me, what I'm trying to emphasize is the pitcher wind up/load up and stride with an underhanded delivery.

Honestly dude looks like you throw pretty far and consistent, i guess just shorten it up. still swinging around a bit. I get that problem when I'm tired a lot.

Pulling through straight is probably the thing I work on more than anything. I'm pretty sure I screwed it up by working my throw from outside in (learning to drive before learning upshots). I'm working it from inside out now, and it's getting better, but it's going to take a lot more work still.

Well, my new camera is giving me fits (or my old computer); but it doesn't really look like I'm bracing properly yet. I have a quick question though; should I be braced on my rear side at some point during the throw?

My question really goes back to me overheaving on the rear side, fyi; I was thinking that my upper body should be leaning somewhat forward of neutral to brace on my rear side to push off of, but now I'm wondering if I was wrong.

Yes, your spine should be braced against the rear side during the backswing, so you can maintain leverage forward during transition to the forward swing. Pretend the disc is a sledgehammer, you won't won't over heave it back because you will get thrown back, you have to let it go in the backswing and that's the kind of heavy momentum you want to put on the disc.

Your hips are sliding to the left so you aren't getting your lower spine on the front hip properly. You also pull off plane the way you drop/bend your elbow and change the angle of the disc. Try keeping the edge of the disc opposite your grip or palm up pointed up to the sky during the backswing. Should help load more under your shoulder and keep things on a hyzer plane better. The plane you throw on should have the disc, wrist, elbow, and both shoulders all lined up more. And the hips, knees rotating on the same plane as the shoulders. I think adjusting your grip and forearm/disc orientation during the swing may help as well.

Watch the disc and shoulder plane backswing through impact:

Looks like I'm still overheaving on the front side. Just let me know if I ever get something right that I should keep doing.

Looks like you are still swinging before your weight really transfers forward properly and aren't loading your shoulder, basically short-arming(short-arcing) the finish. You can turn your shoulders further back and bend the elbow less so you don't bring the disc too far back across your body(over-heave) while reaching back further. Might help to try throwing some sledgehammers, that will at least get you feeling the weight through the whole arm getting more extension and also using gravity in the throw for rhythm and speed.

Well, I threw a few splitting mauls, but I don't think I really got it. I think a throwing hammer would be better, but ...

So here I'm focusing on getting my plant foot down. Which has been improving my accuracy.

I've also been trying to keep the disc more in line with my forearm, which has also improved accuracy, but I was not paying attention to that during those films. I haven't really felt anything improve in the shoulder plane. I'm still not sure what feeling I'm looking for out of my lower body. I've watched the vids, and done a lot of drills, it's just not clicking yet.

Looks a little better. I think the Hershiser drill will help you lead more with the hips. You lean a little bit too far toward the target with the upper body so your posture is collapsing as you plant and so you can't really whip your front shoulder toward the target and have it stop and release the rest of arm. You should always feel pretty upright(athletic) with the spine like you can support 1,000lbs over your shoulders from start to finish.

Centered pivot back and forth, release the arm: (You lean forward during the throw to the point you can't easily reverse motion without having to shift your upper body back)

Looks a little better. I think the Hershiser drill will help you lead more with the hips. You lean a little bit too far toward the target with the upper body so your posture is collapsing as you plant and so you can't really whip your front shoulder toward the target and have it stop and release the rest of arm. You should always feel pretty upright(athletic) with the spine like you can support 1,000lbs over your shoulders from start to finish.

Centered pivot back and forth, release the arm: (You lean forward during the throw to the point you can't easily reverse motion without having to shift your upper body back)

That's going to help a ton. I don't know how hard it's going to be to fix, but I knew I should be reversing my upper body and I didn't think it was happening.