• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DFP Thumb Grip

I haven't looked at slo mo video of the throws. But out of my hand there doesn't appear to be any OAT. That was my first assumption because my for still isn't great. But just yesterday I was turning my slightly beat star wraith hard. Same distances I think. But way less stable. Same with my Roc3's. But when I use that grip and don't focus on rotating my forearm I get a lot of hyzers. Some nose up. But same distances. So there's something else happening. I doubt I'm throwing hard enough or with enough spin to really crank a Wraith over.

I'm noticing less stability because of power increase I think, but I need more time to experiment. My putters don't flip in calm, and understable discs are still fine (not being weird or burning). It's the discs that I was just on the edge of turning that I've noticed have the most change...like if you throw a disc that almost turns into a few mph headwind and watch it drift more than usual.

My worn warlocks are definitely turning more and and newish XT Aviars are turning some. I'm gonna have to try with my BB Aviar and see how it flies. It's weird cause my 167 star sidewinder isn't an immediate roller. It just all seems inconsistent right now. Probably because it's a new movement I'm not used to. I feel more accurate now. I'm not forcing the disc as much as I was.

There's absolutely more ejection speed for me. I went 10' pin high on a 455' flat drive yesterday, but my destroyer turned substantially. Ended up 80' right of the pin.

I've never been within 30' of that basket before, so that was surprising.

I have a very stable star teeBird that stayed flat for much longer than usual.

The distance increase is real. I think the variances in stability is going to be affected by how much you roll under and when you start to roll under.

Rolling under earlier or more drastically will increase the release angle.

I'm still pretty wild with this change, but it's fun.

I can't wait to be pin high on a 455' hole. I'm still maxing at 400' and that's with a bomb. Even with the magic grip change

The distance increase is real. I think the variances in stability is going to be affected by how much you roll under and when you start to roll under.

Rolling under earlier or more drastically will increase the release angle.

Since I haven't had enough time to experiment with variables yet...when you roll under the "right" amount to get good snap and angle, do you feel any increased thumb pressure or anything, or does it just result in the throw having more speed than before and your hyzer angle being what you intended on? Or is there some extra ummphh you get on the disc if you snap/roll/thumb push/whatever you want to call it that you notice?

I more just have found in my brief experimenting that if I keep my angles right and roll my arm under when it feels normal that things work out and I have more power (but nothing feels different with the disc/ejection). If I don't do it, it is like I rolled over almost and I get a nose down anny release that goes way right. Too much (or too early, is likely the case) and it's more like a nose up hyzer that is mellow/bad. So basically I have just found "normal" to be when I may be naturally rolling under a bit, and drastic badness on either end of that scale.

I was wondering about thumb pressure, too. With nothing underneath for the thumb to pinch, how much thumb pressure do you guys have? I experimented a little with moving my middle finger out from the rim a little to stabilize the disc. It seems like it's a little floppy (for lack of a better word) since there's no real pinch point.

I was wondering about thumb pressure, too. With nothing underneath for the thumb to pinch, how much thumb pressure do you guys have? I experimented a little with moving my middle finger out from the rim a little to stabilize the disc. It seems like it's a little floppy (for lack of a better word) since there's no real pinch point.

It hasn't seemed to matter for me at all. I thought the same thing before trying it a long time ago, so I didn't really, but now that I have it seems to have worked. I haven't experimented with thumb beside rim all the way to very deep in the flight plate with increments, but in any average position it just works. I have just been concentrating on finger pressure rather than thumb/index pinch point instead. With the disc seated into the correct place in my palm it doesn't feel floppy at all though.

I was working on form at my practice net this morning with my soft Banger GT and looked at some video frame by frame and noticed that just before the release as the wrist was turning in it looked a little like the fingers underneath were pulling up and the thumb pushing down bending the leading edge kind of like pulling the plastic top off a can of peanuts. Unfortunately, I couldn't grab a good image to share. I don't concentrate on grip pressure at all. I think that is why I'm getting more distance because my throw is a lot more relaxed.

You don't want to be flexing forearm muscles to keep the grip tight. A flexed forearm will most likely lead to tennis elbow.

The platitudes we heat often: loose is smooth and smooth is fast, etc. are still valid. The goal is to keep a firm grip without muscling up.

I also don't have a 'firm' enough grasp of what's going on yet. I have had my best golf distance on some holes in the last 3 days - but if I miss, it's a hyzer into the ground. I'm unfortunately coming off plane in my backswing when I change my grip... So I'm trying to fix things and still alter the roll under.

As always, it's equal parts excitement, confusion and frustration.

Last edited:
attachment.php

A quick review of a shot from today. Seems like I'm staying on the rim later, without focusing on it all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 709
Yep, best looking rip I've seen from you. Are you still hammering to the right, or is it straight/targetward?

With DFP, it's strictly target-ward. If I throw the regular way, I hammer right for max distance. I should also say that I ONLY hammer right on full power shots that I want the most distance possible.

I think it might be my way of forcing myself to do something to feel some leverage later (3-4) so there's some feedback that I actually got there.

Last edited:
I started with the thumb deep in the flight plate, but at the very end of the rip, I'm left with just the index finger hooked in.

index pulling, thumb pushing.

Thumb pushing/hammering down the targetline, index finger pulling away/rightwards.

winning combination. That's still coming round further to release at a 4 oclock grip, big time nose down.

Body position looks great at the hit too.

Myth of the disc pivot achievement unlocked!

have you got the rest of the video for that drive?

Wow, that looks really good. I can see your arm wanting to turn under there too. How far did that go?

That shot didn't go far, as I was ace running a basket with hyzer shots out 285'. Emptied the bag, but no cubby ace.

I'll try to shoot some video soon - I'm trying to fix my tendency to want to raise the disc during the backswing, knowing that I'm going to be rolling it under does bad stuff.

What is the alignment like in the palm of the hand with this type of grip? When trying it out, it seemed to me like it was pretty much the same as the 3rd image here, almost perpendicular to the seam of the hand.

seam02.jpg

Latest posts