• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG shoe addicts, share your expertise!

If you insist on buying expensive footwear for disc golf i would highly recommend spending 25 dollars to become a member of REI and purchasing your shoes or boots from them. They are a co-op store that specializes in quality outdoor gear. They have without a doubt the best return policy of any retailer i've ever dealt with.

sierratradingpost, campsaver, and 6pm are the sites I always look at. They always have a coupon somewhere also. Sierra currently has a 25% off coupon + free shipping.

Cabela's has a pair that I use called the x4 all terrain. I got them for work, I'm outside everyday. They have become my everyday shoe. They are waterproof and have lasted me a year and a half so far. Paid 75 bucks them on sale and will get another pair when these go bad.

I picked up a pair of Keen Marshall. A bit pricey but what is not these days. Great fit and really light.

adidas Outdoor Terrex Swift R GTX

Snagged a pair of these bad boys today for $75 with free shipping. Didn't think that was too bad considering new they were $130.

2309981-3-MULTIVIEW.jpg

I've always had good luck with the adidas trail and outdoor style shoes. My last pair went through 3 seasons of hard use. The New Balances I bought for last season hardly made it through to the end.

Does anyone have any experience with this company? Vivobarefoot.
http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/mens/synth-hiker-mens
I need zero heel drop with just a bit more protection.

SYNTH HIKER?

I disc golf in their trail shoes. Easily the best feeling shoe i've tried and the most durable too. The heels have no extra padding and are rounded nicely for heel-pivoting for drives and putts. No tears in the toe area either after 1,5 years of playing. The trail sole offers some extra protection in comparison to most barefoot shoes and the amount of traction/lack there of is pretty much in the sweet spot I feel.

I'm very particular about my shoes btw since I have major issues in both knees and have tried many kinds of shoes for disc golf. Salomons are good too but these are much more durable and there is nothing like playing in bare-foot shoes!

If you insist on buying expensive footwear for disc golf i would highly recommend spending 25 dollars to become a member of REI and purchasing your shoes or boots from them. They are a co-op store that specializes in quality outdoor gear. They have without a doubt the best return policy of any retailer i've ever dealt with.

REI has recently changed their return policy. http://www.rei.com/help/return-policy.html

1 year limited return-- no longer the "no questions asked" guaranteed return.

I've had Moab Ventilators, Merrel Trail Running Shoes, and Keen Zions. All worked pretty well, though it's really hard to compare/contrast for me. The trail running shoes were the lightest and had the best air circulation, might buy another pair of those for summer. Ventilators are great, but it's going to take me a few months to see if they start wearing down faster than the Zions.

I disc golf in their trail shoes. Easily the best feeling shoe i've tried and the most durable too. The heels have no extra padding and are rounded nicely for heel-pivoting for drives and putts. No tears in the toe area either after 1,5 years of playing. The trail sole offers some extra protection in comparison to most barefoot shoes and the amount of traction/lack there of is pretty much in the sweet spot I feel.

I'm very particular about my shoes btw since I have major issues in both knees and have tried many kinds of shoes for disc golf. Salomons are good too but these are much more durable and there is nothing like playing in bare-foot shoes!

I bought the Synth Hiker. My favorite shoe right now. I am very impressed with it. Everything I wanted. Very well made and comfortable. I find that zero heel drop eliminates and ankle twisting. The shoe/boot is a bit warm though. I might pick up some of the trail shoes for this summer. Vivobarefoot- will receive more of my money, no doubt. Solid product.

I have always used New Balance (911) running shoes when playing. They are quality shoes, not too expensive, and they last a really long time.

I have always used New Balance (911) running shoes when playing. They are quality shoes, not too expensive, and they last a really long time.

I almost bought the New Balance 790, but they were the same price as the adidas gtx, so I went the gtx route. I bought the New Balance 889 Multi-Sports last year, but the vibram bottoms on those are pretty worn out after just one season.

i just wanted to stop in and say i had a huge WTF moment for shoe shopping.

6pm.com go there. buy things. they will all be cheaper than your wildest dreams. some are cheaper than the clymb by a significant amount, sometimes the clymb beats them by a lot too. they have bikila LS and other vibram models for 30-50 dollars, shipped. THIRTY FREAKING DOLLARS. i just bought spyridons for 45$. i will probably be buying some inov-8 too.

i know, just like any other deal site, there will be some that are "meh" and maybe it won't be great all the time. but those prices just freaked out this VFF nut.

Last edited:
Have used Merrell Embark Trail Gloves, worked great but for 175$ a *Durable* minimalist shoe, just didn't hold for more then 3-4 months until their was some serious scraps and tears. Still have the shoe after 2 years but waterproofing is long gone and appearance wise its just ripped to shreds. Still a great workout beater shoe =]

Merrell Mid-height Moabs were my seconds DG shoe last season. Worked well, great waterproofing but once they get wet, it literally takes days to fully dry out before you have any more water proofing. Goretex doesn't hold up well and shaved 1/2 inch hole on the side of the toe from only a couple improper toe drags * my fault 100% but still... the construction faded away infront of my eyes* 100% investment for in my opinion a light yet bulky/clunky shoe. Traction is completely wore off and good luck on a Wet/frozen teepad... You Will Crash Hard

+Which leads me into my newest pair of hopeful DG workhorses+
The Rocky S2V Declination
http://www.rockys2v.com/Product-Details/15558/RE001/Declination_Athletic_Trail_Shoe/

I have never seen anyone post anything about them knowing they are so new and almost un heard of in the DG community. Given that plus my trust in the Rocky brand as a whole after using there boots Hiking and in a professional Kitchen I have full confidence these will have the durability I need... Also an Athletic appearance and feel, Great waterproofing and thats enough for me!

Will give a full review once they arrive but what do you guys think? Decent purchase? Its basically a slip on shoe with no tongue that also has laces for a perfectly snug fit.

Has anybody ever tried any Kikkor shoes? I am looking at a pair of the Tour Pros. They are a cleated soled shoe but, my local course has dirt teepads. I also only do a one-step drive off the tee, no run up.

Latest posts