• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG Vocab List - Fun or Catchy Terms

Probably covered already but I do not feel like searching all 27 pages.

Nice - meant to be a compliment but otherwise a guaranteed way for the disc to be cursed and snagged by a tree and knocked down in the worst possible scenario. Saying NICE in a positive, supportive manner will trigger this curse approximately 90% of the time. Saying NICE on purpose in hopes of invoking the curse, to have your group mate hit a tree, works the opposite, lowering the chances of hitting the tree to nearly 5%. Trying to do reverse-psychology, pretending your are saying NICE on purpose to hit the tree but secretly trying to help them avoid it does not work. The disc and the tree know the difference.

It is possible to catch yourself. If you can keep yourself from going further than N... Then maybe the curse will remain dormant. However, again, if you try reverse psychology, the forces that be will know.

Our am league has a rule: no saying nice until the disc is safely on the ground.

We say, "Easy, Arnold!" when someone throws way past what they were aiming for.

When describing how to play a hole to a stranger - "You got to hug that trail like it was yo mama."

meow - any throw that was released to lightly

pro route - taking the hardest route possible through a hole

shank - crap shot to the right
gank - crap shot to the left

Pro route is going into my vocabulary. I like that one because I know a few people who that will irritate after the twentieth time.

Pro route is going into my vocabulary. I like that one because I know a few people who that will irritate after the twentieth time.

The Pro Route isn't for shots that just shank off into the mass of trees. It's for shots that do that and then somehow manage to weave their way past all those evil leafy bastards and end up kinda decent.

My friends are already irritated with me working the word "tree" into everything. Tree-jected. Tree-nied. Untree-lievable. Etc...

some guys i play with always say "get in!" when a disc looks like its gonna go in the basket
it is especially hilarious when said with extra vitality & if the thrower messes up their shot badly and its is nowhere near the basket.

Monkey paw-when a shot is griplocked and flies off to the right (RHBH of course)

•Bogey Sandwich - A scorecard that reads: 2 4 4 2 for any four consecutive holes for par the hard way.
•Bowling – Rolling
•Big Fat McNasty - There are numerous uses for this…a stagnant pond, a knotty tree, a gusty wind...
•Black Ace- when your first throw goes in the basket of the wrong hole.
•Cabbage –The undergrowth off the fairway. (same as "shule", "spinach")
•Chastity belt -n. the yellow band on top of the Innova basket
•Clank - v. The sickening sound that a putt makes when it hits the yellow chastity belt at the top of an Innova Discatcher doesn't go in. As in "I clanked it"
•Coondogging - when your roller hits the trunk of a tree
•Dinner's ready- when your putt hits the number plate square and it makes that ding sound. (Same as "doink" and "Hit the nickel")
•Doink – A putt that hits the number plate (same as "Dinner's ready" and "Hit the nickel")
•Edgie- When the disc dives sharply and sticks into the ground on it's edge (same as "tombstone")
•Fly-By: putt correct height, poor aim.
•Fluke deuce- a lucky two that you got from a fortunate bounce toward the basket.
•Four with a Twist- Taking a circle four, three shots plus an O.B. stroke.
•Gaack -v. miss typically a short putt. As in "I gaacked that putt"
•Georged - when you fail to "watch out for that tree"
•Grenade- any shot that is high and fall fast straight down to the ground
•Handful- 5 strokes on a hole.
•Head Banger - when your drive lands under the basket and you might bang you head on the basket as you pick it up.
•Hit the nickel - when your putt hits the number plate square and it makes that ding sound. (Same as "Dinner's ready" and "Doink")
•Hockey stick- seven throws on one hole.
•Homeboy route- a shot with good results through a narrow opening in trees.
•Horking -adj. a monstrous throw. As in "horking hyzer".
•"I believe you're away" - said to a friend who hits the tree five feet in front of the tee
•Jekyll and Hyde round – one nine is great and the other nine is a monster.
•Knife shot - vertical hyzer
•Locals route: taking a not recommended line that somehow gets you to the basket.
•Lumberjacking - when you're hitting nothing but trees.
•Makin' Minis: when one disc lands on another (it looks like the discs are humping.)
•Mirkwood forest- that place in the woods where, if you throw there, you can never get your disc back.
•Mullet-n.- A pro that doesn't cash, so he pays his entry fees to others. It refers to being in the "feeder pool" or being "bait fish". Synonyms: donor, sucker, shark bait. As in "Don't be a mullet!"
•To "nice" someone – v. As in "You niced me". An apparently nice shot that everyone comments on...NICE SHOT...while it's still in flight. But then suddenly hits something no one expected.
•Nickel – getting 5 on a hole
•Noodlearm - Player with no "D".
•Nuclear shule – extremely bad rough.
•Pachinko, Pin Ball - hitting several trees
•Paper plate (n) 1. an extremely understable disc; 2. commonly a lighter weight, beat-up disc
•Pig-Putt –n. a putt that's weak! weak! weak! (best results when spoken with an inhale).

•Pinball – a shot that hits several trees.
•Pinball Wizard – after someone's shot hits multiple trees.
•Pringled - when you smack the disc hard into a tree
•Rooted - when the tree root stops your skip shot
•Sally/(sallied) v. - when your drive/putt comes up way short
•Saturn - a score of 6 (6th planet) with "rings" (OB circle(s))
•Secret Squirrel- a shot that SOMEHOW goes through the biggest bunch of shule and emerges on the same line it entered and ends up parked!
•Seeing eye disc- a shot that miraculously makes it through a thick set of trees.
•Shank- any shot that does not do what you wanted.
•Shule - heavy undergrowth off the fairway (same as "cabbage", "spinach").
•Skittle (also skibble). The action of a disc grinding a long way on the dirt/ground on the way to the pin. Usually shouted as a command for the disc to travel farther on the ground (for example, "SKITTLE!)
•Sneak- in flight instruction to the disc to avoid anything with leaves and/or bark
•Snob – a throw with the nose of the disc up
•Snowman - a natural score of 8
•Snowangel - a score of 8 with a "halo" (OB circle(s))
•Spinach – bushes, trees, and undergrowth. As in "That's in the spinach." (same as "cabbage", "shule").
•Squirrel killer - a roller shot that runs up the trunk of a tree (same as "coondogging").
•Taco - v. To smash a disc into a tree so that it folds like a taco. A saying that goes with this is "Need some sauce for that taco?"
•"That wasn't there last time I played this hole" and "Was that there when I teed off?"- said when hitting some long time obvious obstacle like a tree off the tee.
•Tombstone- a disc that impales the ground, and remains standing on edge, usually stuck in the wet ground/mud a few inches. (same as "Edgie")
•Tournament Roll - When your disc hits the basket and rolls farther away than your original shot
•Treeflection - the tree gives good kick
•Treejection - the tree gives bad kick
•Treejectory - when your redirected by the branch
•Tree-mendous - when your errant shot finds wood and bounces in an auspicious way
•Valet service - When you park your drive under the basket
•Dead Man - when your putt hits the side of the basket and falls straight down to the ground. Note: This came from a guy in Fort Worth who is a pretty good player. Didn't get his name though. I had to make the joke of saying, "Dead Man Walking." when his friend was walking toward the basket to pick it up.
•Chain Smoking - This is when someone has made 2 great putts in a row. He is considered to be Chain Smoking on Chain Smokin'.
•BOB - Back of the Box. Last to throw
•CFR - Candy Fund Raiser. Special Innova candy plastic discs to raise funds.
•CTP - Closest to the Pole
•DL- Dead Last (sanitized version of DFL)
•FAT - First Available Tree
•HBBD - Home Boy Bag Drop - A place to leave your disc bag when you have to a long walk to the tee and will be coming back to the same area after your throw. The home players of a course know this spot and put their bags down, but new players carry their bag to the tee and back.
•LB - Lucky Bounce. When your disc bounces off a tree in such a way that it helps you.
•MAC - Mid Air Correction. Caused by hitting a tree. It's usually bad, but sometimes good.
•NPR - No Putt Required
•PDS - Poor Disc Selection
•PGA - Pretty Good Approach
•SED - Seeing Eye Disc. A shot that sneaks its way through the trees in a remarkable way.
•YSA - You're Still Away
•Plinko - a disc falling from a tree
•Gust from the Gods - when the wind completely changed the shot (sometimes good and sometimes really bad)
•Gettin' Greasy...... sneakin through the trees.
HittaHouse.... when you're off line and you WANT your disc to smash a tree
•Lawn Dart - a disc that has landed partially buried in the ground, sticking up nearly vertically.
•LAMs- Long Armed Mutants
•Wormburning for a turfed drive that just (unintentionally) skips down the fairway?
•Canadian Girlfriend" - throwing an ace or an amazing shot when you are out on the course by yourself. I mentioned I had an amazing throw on a hole we were currently shooting, and my buddy replied "Yeah, and I bet you have a really hot girlfriend, but she lives in Canada".
•Millenium Falcon: Another term we use on heavily wooded courses with many small-ish trees, when someone throws an overhand/tomahawk throw and the disc magically weaves between many small trees as it turns over, without hitting any: the "Millenium Falcon", just like when said spaceship is flying through the asteroid field in "The Empire Strikes Back".
•That would've been in if it wasn't for that tree." It was especially appropriate when the tree was 10 feet from the tee box.
•Then there are the ever infamous words you never want to hear, "It's still your shot."
•Tickling the chains: hitting the chains and falling out
•Frisbee eater - A tree that's always hungry for fresh plastic.
•To ice someone - it usually happens when two people are playing and the score is tied and player A makes a throw that is so great that it causes player B to choke.
•Conservation of Greatness" - making a horrible throw after a jaw-droppingly absurd throw.
•Library putt: a putt that goes into the basket without touching a chain
•Satellite parking- when you park your drive under the wrong basket
•"Heeere doggy" followed by everyone whistling like their calling a dog, as your disc rolls right past you away from the basket and back down the hill leaving you a longer shot than you started with.
•When someone hits the pole or surrounds it on the ground they are a "Pole Dancer." Oh, and don't forget to throw in the occasional, "Work it, work it, OWN IT!"
•"Teabag" - when you jump in a pond/stream to retrieve your disc and the water is waist high. As in "I had to teabag to get my disc back." "I could see my disc out in the water, but it wasn't worth teabaggin' to get it."
•A Nelson Mandela - same as apartied
•A Martha Stewart - a serious nose up drive like newbies tend to do.
•Star frame - everyone on the card birdies (alt. star par for a tough par for everyone)
•Field ace - long made shot from the fairway (usually on a par 4 for a 2)
•We're live - said to let someone know you are about to throw so you can focus during a tourney
•Fluffed it - soft, nose-up shot
•Wedgie - disc that sticks in the side of the basket
•Tester - a putt that's just out of your comfort zone
•Barney's - newer players that don't use common courtesy (esp. not returning discs with name/#'s)
•Tree-nied: when someone's shot looks awesome then smacks that one tree that nobody saw
•Donkey- when you miss a ridiculously close or easy putt
•Hex'd: When three people in your group score a six on the same hole.
•Jackpot: When three people score a seven on a hole.
•Full House: In a group of five, three get the same score and the other get the same score of a different number, i.e. Three score a bogey "4" and the other two par the hole, "3".
•Flush: Everyone in your group hits the river on the tee shot.
•Yao Ming: The bottom of the basket is too high for you to make the putt.
•Queen: If a woman in your group scores higher on a hole than everyone else.
•Course Maintenance": When you disc breaks off a branch on it's way to the target.
•"Beer Me" or "Owe me a beer": when somebody's disc lands on top of yours.
•"Safari golf": when you tee off & shoot at different baskets other than the standard course layout. This is pretty fun actually & breaks up the routine of your favorite course.
•"Early release program": this is the opposite of "grip lock".
•Whenever anyone is my group hits two seperate trees in one throw, someone will inevitably say "Who's there?", as in "Knock Knock".
•Van-DO (Mandatory Van) fairway that is constantly blocked, at least the forehand line, by an oblivious park employees van
•Fam-Do: Having to shoot wide around a family BBQing or walking their dogs in the middle of my fairway
•And three trees or more hit before the disc touches the ground..."I think you activated multiball..."
•Parking permit" You tell someone they just got their parking permit validated when they park the disc under the basket after a long shot
•"Army Golf" throwing to alternate sides of the fairway (left, right, left, right)
•"Tarzan Golf" throwing from tree to tree to tree.....
•"Republican Golf" consistently too far to the right
•"Democrat Golf" consistently too far to the left
•Tournament Roll: An accidental roller that not only goes away from the pin, but finds the steepest slope and barrels away at velocity towards another fairway (should be accompanied by the roadrunner theme song)
•It's got eyes!: The opposite of a tournament roll, where an accidental roller winds up parked at the basket.
•By the power of Greyskull!: Shout this when you or your buddy snaps off an overpowered 350' drive for a 125' approach.
•Low and Pro: 2 feet off the ground and straight as an arrow drives. I wish I heard this one more often.
•Flyin' Kites: A nose-up drive that goes up up up, stalls and drops to the ground
Thread the needle: any drive that winds its way through a moderate to heavily wooded fairway without hitting wood.
•Easy, leatherface!: Say this to your buddy whenever he tries and fails to chainsaw his way through dense rough, hits multiple trees or any other appropriate chainsaw joke that will piss him off.
•Top Gun: When you go for the ace run.
•Goose: When you go for the ace run and just tank it, because now you've got bogies on your tail.
•They've got a pill for that: Any time your buddy has a premature release issue with his throw.

•A walmart - a shot that hits a basket or tree and rolls back at you.
As in Walmart slogan "Roll back prices".
•Holy Roller - A shot that was not intended to be a roller but turns over and becomes one and heads miraculously straight for the pin!
•Deuce bag...that guy who want stop hitting birdies on your card.
•"Jacket", referring to the person in your group who tees off first.
•We will call people Robin Hood or Christopher Robin if they spend too much time in the woods.
•There are a couple of trees on our course that we refer to as the birdie eaters. If you split them on one of our holes you are in great shape for a birdie, if you hit them, you can easily end up in the water.
•fairy shot - a more or less vertical anhyzer, usually thrown short.
•Tee dibs - first to throw.
•Took the escalator - nose up throw that stalls.
•Jesus christo - a non floating disc that miraculously lands top down and floats.
•Invisi-tree - the tree you hit that you could not see.
•DNFF Did Not ******* Finish - When, for reasons of rage and anger you decide to walk to the next tee without finishing a hole. Usually written on the card after a series of spectacularly awful shots.
•Booger Finger-grip lock
•Vaseline hand-disc slips while throwing
•Joysticking-when a discs swerves aound many small gaps and trees like the thrower had a joystick.
•Javelin-like a tombstone discs sticks on its edge.
•Running a Red Light-when someone putts and blows it by the basket.
•FISO-"F*** I'm still out"
•Speed Bump-when your disc lands on the road.
•Paul Bunyan-A player that hits many trees in one round.
•Bobsledding-when a tomahawk lands on the stamp side of the disc and slides.
•Piss-me-offs-small branches that knock your disc down
•IRON CURTAIN - when your putter hits the metal ring on the top of the basket
•carpet bagger - a minor pro player from the north who comes down south to bag in ADV
•Everyone know's that three birdies in a row is called a Turkey or as we say a "gobble gobble
•Turkey Vultures, so we decided that three bogeys in a row is called a Turkey Vulture.
•Seeing Eye Disc a "Matrix." As in, "Dude, you just Matrixed your way through 10 trees."
•"Nice Betty Ford" is for a nice recovery from a ****ty lie
•"Indy Jones" is when you throw into the thick shule.
•And a throw that hits a tree and falls straight down, dead? That would be a Sonny Bono.
•good shot that gets cut down in it's prime by a unseen branch has been shaqed down
•Punishment roll What we call the result of a missed putt from long distance or a hill that rolls even longer out of makeable range.
•Walk of Shame": Having to walk around a fence in everyones view to get an OB disc
•I'm Bob, who's Bob, your Bob"- as in the order I'm throwing; Back Of the Box. Last thrower on a card
•Captain Crunch - a player that is routinely off the fairway in the woods, stepping on sticks and branches
•Skunks - Players on the last card in their division after the first round in a tournament.
•The way of the Indian: A tomahawk that is so beautiful it makes you pee a little
•Beached Whale: A shot that skips/skims across a water hazard but makes it to land on the other side
•woodpecker season When the weather starts getting warm and all the noobs and TDD's start flocking to the course.
•Divine Wind. A gust from nowhere that saves your drive from futility.
•Baroni'd or gassed When a drive is thrown uncharacteristically short or low, named after MMA fighter Phil Baroni infamous for having bad stamina. Wow, you really Baroni'd that drive Dave
•Ninja Style Having to throw while hidden behind foliage, usually a warning to other players: Watch out guys, I'm going ninja style
•Kissing chains Whenever your disc barely hits chains and spits out.
•Anybody mention the "bon jovi"? (wooooah. we're halfway there...)
•We call a disc you park right beside the basket from the tee a dunkable.
•Walker - When your shot takes a bounce and lands on edge but doesn't so much roll as wobble back and forth, slowly but surely moving forward.

Dinger - any shot that hits anywhere on the basket but in.

U, do you use all those words? And I agree, you win.

Termites--casual players that come out of the woodwork when the weather gets nice. through my research, the temp is above 40 degrees when termites begin infesting my home course.

Latest posts